Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • FFS, TV for idiots, where is the decent stuff?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Currently have C5 on (edit, The Mentalist), & by God it’s bad, is this what the box is all about these days, TV without the need to challenge the intellect?
    70’s TV was more intense than this, give the beeb more money to make decent programs!*

*OK, so a tiny bit inflammatory but you get the idea.

RustySpanner

Radio 4.

The amount of decent, watchable TV is probably about the same as it ever was.
    But it’s swamped by the endless wave of effluent that passes for entertainment.

jam-bo

Iplayer
    4od
    Netflix

Rarely watch live tv

Klunk
    Free Member

7.00 true entertainment double M*A*S*H, strange though everything else they broadcast is unwatchable ! 😕

what’s he got that I haven’t ? sincerety. I can fake that!

RustySpanner

S’not PROPER M*A*S*H though, it’s the crap version with canned laughter on. 😀

maccruiskeen

Currently have C5 on

thats your problem right there

thats like starting a thread about ‘wheres all the decent food’ with ‘I’ve been raking through the bins in the park today and…’

GrahamS

I think The Mentalist is/was actually okay if you follow the Red John back story etc.

Granted it’s not exactly taxing – but it is entertaining enough to slob in front of. There’s a LOT worse on TV.

grum
    Free Member

There’s loads of good stuff about – only ever watch on demand/Netflix etc which means you have to make a conscious choice to watch stuff and never see any adverts.

I never, ever use the 5 on demand player.

nickdavies

Netflix. Has some great shows plus really good original programming, and no adverts!

Never watch terrestrial tv these days. Used to watch bbc news in the morning but even that’s turned into a load of drivel that has no bearing on anyone, interspersed with a bit of self promotion from whichever manufactured pop star is flavour of the month.

Suzanna Reid is the only good thing about it!

_tom_
    Free Member

Netflix, loads of good stuff on it. I’m halfway through House of Cards and it’s brilliant.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Iplayer
    4od
    Netflix

Rarely watch live tv

This, but we ditched live TV altogether and no longer have a TV licence so only watch on demand/netflix. It’s great, the TV isn’t just ‘on’ anymore as we actively choose something to watch when we want to watch it.

CountZero

Plenty of stuff on, if you’re discriminating. Most of what I watch is recorded to catch up with later. Beeb 4 has quite a bit of interesting programmes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Family Guy is on later…

ask1974
    Free Member

What?

Game of thrones
    House of cards
    Breaking bad
    Silent witness
    The Americans
    Blue bloods
    Networks of power
    The blacklist
    Luther
    Strike back
    Horizon

And on and on, TV’s not live anymore so you can mix old and new. Can’t remember a time when TV was better than this. Of course without Sky or Virgin you’re pretty much stuffed though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Generation war on iplayer thats 3hrs taken care of

batfink
    Free Member

+1 for Game of thrones, House of Cards and Breaking bad

I would also add (if you haven’t seen them yet):

True detective
    The wire
    Generation kill
    Mad Men
    The new Fargo
    Band of Brothers

Plenty of ace telly to watch at the moment

mattbee

Vikings on Amazon is pretty darn good.

Klunk
    Free Member

S’not PROPER M*A*S*H though, it’s the crap version with canned laughter on

nope no canned laughter on tonights

RustySpanner

Really?

That’s brilliant.
    I’ll start watching it again then!

Last time I watched had the laugh track – ruined it completely.

Drac

Channel 4 now best TV show there is.

samuri
    Free Member

Orphan Black

samuri
    Free Member

And of course, The Watermen, BBC2 Tuesdays, 9pm. Up to episode 4 of 6 now though.

Klunk
    Free Member

unfortunately Rusty it’s now on series 11 episode 6.

kimbers

Working our way thru boardwalk empire at the moment (from that torrent site)
    It’s all good

Recording a few dramas off regular TV too like to binge on a series

London live is showing misfits and shadow line at the moment , both excellent British TV series

welshfarmer

Learn a foreign language and retune your satellite dish! Having a German wife means I get to watch a lot of German TV (though not the RTL type stuff) and by God it makes most UK tele look like CBBC and the American stuff look like CeeBeebees. Thing is, even there I see a trend towards a sort of intellectual dumbing-down. Sort of the same trend made by UK TV that started back in the 80’s.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘FFS, TV for idiots, where is the decent stuff?’ is closed to new replies.