Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Fertility treatment and beyond…
  • stumpy01

johndoh – Member

Maybe in some areas but fertility treatment in the UK really is a postcode lottery. Where I live there is essentially no provision for *ANY* IVF treatment whatsoever on the NHS

I probably should have extended the quote a bit – the original comment was made about private availability, not NHS.

Here’s what I probably should have quoted:

further investigation showed that we needed a doner – couldn’t do that privately in U.K

I didn’t want to start a discussion about the ins & outs of IVF treatment across the UK, and detract from tacopowell’s news.
    I am fully aware that it’s a postcode lottery, but I was just trying to clarify for someone else perhaps reading the statement & thinking ‘oh shit, we have to go abroad for donor treatment’, that you don’t have to. It is available in the UK; just not on the NHS.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Read the first post… scanned down a bit… realised this was an update to an old thread… read the bloody brilliant update 😀

theotherjonv

no chance of making it to work tomorrow so I’ve had a couple of g+t’s

-and-

further investigation showed that we needed a doner

Surely after a few G&T’s you would need something classy like a hand-rolled focaccia stuffed with organic olives.

A few stellas leading to needing a doner, I could accept.

(just joshing)

Great news to the OP, good luck to those trying. I personally was a naturally conceived child but only after my mum and dad had exhausted all avenues and were in the process of adopting and actually had had a child allocated. They put it down to the stress of trying and the risk of being childless finally being removed.

My mate has also just succeeded after 4 cycles of (self funded) IVF – they couldn’t get help because they are both ‘too old’ and decided against all prior thought that actually they do want a child (actually, she got pregnant by accident, miscarried, but that made them realise what they really wanted, and then they couldn’t reconceive for some reason). We’re going to see their 4 week old tomorrow!!!!!

There is always hope, and where there ‘isn’t’ there are children born into difficult circumstances that you can make a life changing difference for.

skiprat
    Free Member

Congratulations OP. We tried ICSI and IUI and had one round of IVF with no luck. Went for one last go at IVF (before going down the adoption route) and it worked. We now have a 16 month old boy and 3 frosty’s on ice.

My wife still looks at him in wonder. Its amazing when it works after such a long and painful process.

Advice on being a good dad, i have none other than enjoy it. It fly’s by so make the most of it. Just be there for each other as it can be hard at times but when you look at how long its taken to get where you are, i think you relax a bit and remember how lucky you are that its worked.

nedrapier

Great news, taco!

We’re hoping for similar news. At some point. Soonish…

3 years of trying and one failed cycle. Next one up shortly.

3 years of monthly heartache and regular jolts of happiness/despair/frustration when friends get pregnant.

Definitely good to talk, you find many others have been through similar and worse. Perspective is a wonderful thing, as is having some exciting “if no kids” plans.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Great news OP.

We have a 13 year old son, who is now 6′ 1″ tall, who was conceived by ICSI and IVF. In my case testicular cancer prevented any chance of conceiving naturally, the ICSI procedure also ended up with me now being 100% infertile but it did work! We had to fund everything ourselves and due to complications etc the bill was well over £15k!

I know there are lots of people for whom it doesn’t work out but for many it does but it’s super stressful.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Fertility treatment and beyond…’ is closed to new replies.