Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fell/ultra runners – shell legwear advice
  • willard

I’m doing a run in June and the rules state that I need, at a minimum, complete wind/showerproof body covering with me at all times. I have a good waterproof upper shell (Gore AS goretex), but have never traditionally bothered covering up my legs whilst running except when it’s cold. However, I have to play the game and so I ned a pair of trousers that are, at a minimum windproof and, at a maximum, waterproof.

Requirements are that, whatever they are, they have to be light, as light as possible really. My issue goretex is just not going to cut it. They also need to pack up small and I have to be able to run in them without overly large amounts of chafing.

I know a lot of the FRA forum people swear by the Inov-8 Mistlites and a suggestion was made for the Montance Featherlites, but I would like to ask for personal experience from the longer distance runners on here on what _they_ would go for. Water or windproof only?

Also, I have a long leg, so anything that will cover up more of me than a regular leg is appreciated (if that’s necessary).

Cheers all.

Edit: Also, I’m not made of money and, although I want something that will last in case I do something like this again, I can’t be spending shed-loads on something that I will only wear for running once.

stever
    Free Member

I take a pair of Running Bear shell pants. You’re right get something small and cheap, I never wear mine.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Willard – L100 by any chance? If so, good luck it’s a mega challenge and normally coincided with dreadful weather (at least when I have done it!)

My choice is Montane atomic top and bottom. I bought as a package for Hellvelyn tri many years ago as Montane were a sponsor. Very light, surprisingly good in the downpour in the first years race and pack down nicely. I have never worn the bottoms in an event even if torrential rain as I am happy to get my legs wet (and fording streams in L100!!!). But you have to abide by the rules!

My top and bottom are still going strong several years later and I do actually use the leggings now and again. But never to run in!

Don’t forget, Lycra, sudocreme and Vaseline work well in combo!!!

piemonster

+1 cheap and light. Especially for June.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If its the L100, trust me the weather can be truly abysmal even in June. Never go unprepared. I have also been nearly caught out by sleet in June in the Lakes on another occassion.

Is not what happens while you are moving, think how cold you will be if you are injured/lost etc. Try not to compromise (too much!)

willard

THM – Nice try, but not quite… It’s the Carlisle to Newcastle run along Hadian’s Wall. Last year it tipped it down, so I’m thinking of playing it safe. Who knows where/when I might have to stop and take a break?!

There seems to be a big number of trousers in the “around 40 quid” category that fit the bill. Inov-8, Ronhill, Montane, you name it. Montane seem to have a bit more of a running focus than some, I just wish that there was somewhere local that had stock of the lot of them.

Already planning on wearing compression shorts under normal shorts to help out with chafing…

anonymouse
    Free Member

Small and light are what’s needed. You need to carry it, not run in it, it’s just in the bag in case you’re injured and need to keep warm.

convert

They are not for running in so wouldn’t both too much on that score. The organisers just want to ensure you are able to covered up if it goes tits up and the weather comes in or you have to stop because you are injured or come across someone else who is injured.

In that regard don’t get too fussed about breathability or chaffing- just the lightest smallest you can find you would be happy to stand around in in gopping weather.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I got some montane featherlite pant things which are tiny, windproof and shower proof, but I’d probably go for the minimus or atomic if I actually wanted something I could rely on.

3bikeman
    Free Member

OMM Kamileka – light,waterproof, stretchy – not sure of cost

nosemineb
    Free Member

Spent many a happy hour in my inov8 mistlite until recently when i lost them.. After looking around i opted for another pair at 20 pound in the pete bland sale. Bargain!
    Im 31 waist and 34 leg and wear a large if that helps.
    Also agree they will spend most of their life in a bum bag so no need to go mad. However i will happily spend shed loads on a good waterproof jacket. 😀

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

hey i’m doing that too willard!

willard

Wonkey,

Ace! I won’t be alone in my pain then! What are you doing, the two day or one day event? I decided I could not cope with sleeping in a tent half way so went for the one day.

I’m now regretting not getting the pair of Montane Firelite trousers I saw in Go Outdoors the other week. Weighed almost nothing, taped seams, goretex, 42 quid. They were a little short in the leg (I’m 6′ 5″) but would have done the job.

Off now to try and decide…

totalshell

take a brolly…. nice golfing one… strung over your shoulder.. big bust up at the mo. on FRA forum over running in just shorts and vest in the snow!!

willard

Will have to have a look at that thread! The brolly idea is a sound one, but all I have is a fishing one (too big) or a flowery fold up one from my wife (too small). I’d rather buy trousers TBH.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Willard, I haven’t heard about that run. Sounds good but I should imagine knackering on the knees! Most of the brands you mention would do, I would imagine the fit might be important though. Have fun!

davetrave
    Free Member

Slightly more than absolute minimalist here:

Montane Minimus jacket and Atomic kecks.

Still pack down very small (into a 3l bumbag along with energy bar, thin gloves/hat, mobile, car keys, cut down map, compass and whistle) and light but bit more robust/protective than Mistlite and equivalents so I can use them for lightweight walking as well.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Yeah i did the same willard – couldn’t bare sleeping half way so i’m in for the full single day!

What you doing the night before? you stopping in Carlisle on the Friday night? I’m currently on the hunt for a b&b

willard

The current plan is to get to Carlisle in good time on Friday, stay in a hotel/B&B Friday night, then run and repeat the overnight stay in Newcastle on the Saturday night.

Now you mention it, I should actually start booking those up.

willard

What’s the difference between the Atomic and the Atomic DT trousers?

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’ve worn Montane Featherlites over tights when running (OMM in Galloway, Brecon Beacons etc)and they’re OK, keep the wind off, don’t take up much space and are cheap.

I also had a pair of waterproof trousers from Primark or somewhere, fold up small but not in the slightest bit breathable. Really only to meet the rules and I figured if it was that bad that I needed to wear them I wouldn’t be running coz I was injured or whatever, so breathability wasn’t an issue.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

+1 for Inov-8 Mistlite. They’ll stay in your bumbag/rucsac 99.9% of the time. They’re well cut and ok to actually run in.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey Willard, just looked around to see if there are any bargains and couldn’t believe the current (high) prices. We are in a recession and most of the things I want to buy seem totally unaffected 😉

willard

That was my feeling on prices too. I am a bit of a kit whore, so would like to buy decent/good rather than tat, but the prices of decent breathable shells is mind boggling.

Col. Wax does bring up a damn good point though. I’m unlikely to wear them whilst actually running and so getting something that is going to keep me alive if injured/stuck somewhere may be worth sacrificing some weight. I could also potentially use them for dog walking, etc. That said, the Rab ones I looked at were… mind bogglingly expensive.

Maybe I should look at TNF? Nope, expensive. Berghaus? Pricey.

davetrave
    Free Member

The Atomic DT pants have been superseded by the Atomic kecks, difference is fabric – the Atomic DTs used Entrant DT fabric, the new Atomic ones use a slightly heavier weight Pertex Powershield to the Minimus kit.

Nowt wrong with the older Atomic DTs – still pack light and small, see my comments above – but you can pick them up for around 40-45 quid online.

That said, the Powershield is incredibly breathable, much more so than Gore, eVent or anything else; I’ve done short sharp sweaty runs while wearing a Minimus jacket and had none of the clamminess issues of the other breathables.

stevious

I’ve got Montane featherlights for using in the LAMM. Haven’t run in them, but have done some wet commutes in them and they do the job they should. Mine come up a wee bit short in the leg so it might be worth trying on if you go down that road.

aracer
    Free Member

I also had a pair of waterproof trousers from Primark or somewhere, fold up small but not in the slightest bit breathable. Really only to meet the rules and I figured if it was that bad that I needed to wear them I wouldn’t be running coz I was injured or whatever, so breathability wasn’t an issue.

I was going to suggest something similar. I now have Montane Featherlites (and also some Montane eVent bottoms), but when I first needed waterproof bottoms for an event I bought some cheapy ones which were pretty light. They actually got used on quite a few different events after that – they were fine for hanging around camp in at Polaris/KIMM. I did even use them to ride/run in occasionally.

surfer
    Free Member

Cheap, waterproof and taped seams. If you are wearing them you are either walking or stationary so their breathability is less of an issue.

Even the best ones are horrible to run in.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fell/ultra runners – shell legwear advice’ is closed to new replies.