• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fedex charges – does this seem right?
  • fbk
    Free Member

I returned a helmet cam to the states earlier this year for a warranty return. Cant fault the service and the camera was returned within a couple of weeks.
    This morning I got an invoice from Fedex for duty owed and advancement fees totalling over £30! This would be a blow but acceptable had I bought the thing over there but this was bought in the UK and only sent it over there as the company who I bought it off ignored all my correspondence so I had to deal direct with the manufacturer.

I’m guessing there’s nothing I can do about this? 🙁

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Check with HMRC. We sent a vintage microphone to California last year for a repair and were billed VAT on the labour charges when it came back through with FedEx. I’m not sure how the invoice for your warranty repair was worded, but perhaps it’s something along those lines. As I said, and assuming nobody else can clarify, it’s probably worth calling HMRC and checking that the charge is correct.

nickdavies

Yes, you’re entitled to reclaim the Duty and V.A.T. on the items provided they are duty & V.A.T. paid in the first place and have been exported for repair. Talk to HMRC.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/international/imports/opr.htm

In honesty, if it’s £30 that’s probably not worth the faff as it’s a pain in the backside and i’d imagine £10 of that charge is Fedex deferment fees which you won’t get back.

I’m not sure exactly how you’d go about it as an individual as all my experience is as a company but ask them.

smudge
    Free Member

^ Like he said, but I cant delete a post?

There is probably a value of the camera written on the paperwork for customs purposes from the manufacturer. Plus You will probably notice most of the cost from FedEx is the handling charge..

fbk
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. And yes, you’re all right, over £10 of the fees are Fedex “advancement fees”. It’s a real shame as I got great service off the company involved but now have a bill for nearly 25% of what the thing cost in the first place. Oh Well!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fedex charges – does this seem right?’ is closed to new replies.