Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Favourite vegetarian recipes
  • scruff9252

We’re trying to cut down our meat consumption a little – evidence seems to suggest eating meat for pretty much 14 meals a week may not be best for baby Robbins an stuff.

Last night I made a take on a Kashmir butter chicken, but with red lentils and yellow split peas in lieu of chicken. If anything I think the omission of chicken actually made the recipe better. The slow cooked pulses seemed to enhance the creamyness and bring out more of the flavour of the spices. Plus 9 portions cost <£2.

So, whats’ your favourite hearty winter vegetarian meal / recipe for us to try? Bonus points available for being able to stick in slow cooker in the morning to simmer away all day and preferably recipe conducive to left overs being lunchable the following day.

ta

theboatman
    Free Member

[url=https://postimages.org/]picture upload site[/url]

👍

onewheelgood

Use this recipe, but don’t use yam as that’s like eating bits of wood. Use sweet potato instead.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Am making one later today. With pics to help. Will blow your taste bud’s little minds I promise. Check back.

PS make the Kashmiri curry sauce-ey, then add pre-roasted cauli florets and diced spuds. Make the sauce first then add the roast taters and cauli for the last 10 mins.

Roast the veg in oil, garlic and some caraway seeds

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Margherita pizza with rocket, parmesan and chilli oil
    One pot macaroni cheese
    Various pasta bakes
    Vegetable enchiladas
    Falafels, hummus and pitta

The list is endless, being vegetarian these days must be so much easier than it ever was.

precutduck
    Free Member

Kashmir butter chicken, but with red lentils and yellow split peas in lieu of chicken.

Got a recipe for this? Sounds good

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Plus 9 portions cost <£2.

Recipe please!

breninbeener

Yes….recipe for the lentil butter non-chicken please!

scruff9252

“Got a recipe for this? Sounds good”

stick the following in a slow cooker;

2 onions
    2 garlic cloves
    4cm root ginger
    1 chilli
    glug of oil
    2 tablespoons of butter
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
    1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
    4 cardamon pods, crushed
    1 tea spoon paprika
    1 teaspoon tumeric
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    stock cube (I used chicken as that what I had, I appreciate not 100% vegetarian)
    a decent shoogle of yellow split peas
    a decent shoogle of red lentils
    enough hot water to cover + some to account for absorption of dried pulses

then slow cook for 6ish hours. Towards the end add in a few balls of frozen spinach and a handful of coriander. Serve with Rice and nan

Bloody delicious!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Veggie fajitas, get your tasty tortilla wraps that cost ~80p for 8-pack from Lidl, rather than the bland and almost twice the price Sainsbury’s ones!

Harry_the_Spider

Bean Pasta Sauce.

Makes 2-3 x 4 person portions.

1 x big spud
    1 x big leek
    2 x big carrots
    1 x carton of Passata
    1 x 440g tin Borlotti Beans
    1 x pint of veg stock
    Mixed dried green herbs to taste. Basil, Sage, Thyme, Oregano etc
    Some oil

Dice the veg and sweat it off in a pan with the oil and herbs. Don’t let it scorch, so keep the lid on.

When it has softened add the passata, beans and stock then simmer for about 45 minutes

Let it cool

Divide into 2 or 3 portions and freeze (this breaks down the potato and carrots further)

Serve as a thick pasta sauce with a topping of cheese, rocket/spinach, chilli sauce etc.

ElShalimo

The Hugh F-W book “Much More Veg” is really good. We frequently use it (although sometimes we do add prawns or fish but he’s not watching so it’s okay)

mariner
    Free Member

You must try Sauteed Mushrooms with Soy Butter Sauce.
    Don’t bother with exotic mushrooms just use Chestnut ones not cut too small and do use a lot of heat.
    I thought I was going to incinerate the mushrooms first time I made it but it all just works.
    Chuck in the garlic right at the end for about 30 seconds then a glug of Soy and the butter.
    I thought it was brilliant but be aware that the soy reduces so no need for added seasoning.

Sauteed Mushrooms with Soy Butter Sauce Recipe

Cougar

Veggie fajitas, get your tasty tortilla wraps that cost ~80p for 8-pack from Lidl, rather than the bland and almost twice the price Sainsbury’s ones!

Home-made fajitas (serves two):

Fry off a large onion and a couple of peppers with a lug of oil and a pinch of salt until the onion is softened, add not-chicken (Quorn chunks or whatever) for a few minutes, then add a spice mix of:

1 tablespoon cornflour
    2 teaspoons mild chilli powder
    1+1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more or less to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon coriander leaf

Fry for a minute longer, add 200ml of stock and 1tbsp of tomato purée. Simmer until thickened.

scruff9252

[strong]Cougar[/strong] wrote:

Home-made fajitas:
    Fry off a large onion and a couple of peppers with a lug of oil and a pinch of salt until the onion is softened, add not-chicken (Quorn chunks or whatever) for a couple of minutes, then add a spice mix of:
    1 tablespoon cornflour
    2 teaspoons mild chilli powder
    1+1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more or less to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon coriander leaf
    Fry for a minute longer, add 200ml of stock and 1tbsp of tomato purée. Simmer until thickened.

Nice, thanks – I made vegi fajitas using a tin of Taco beans back in the summer but using one of the supermarket spice mixes. I’ll try again using your spice mix next time

Cougar

Cool, let me know what you think. (-:

Cougar

Does soup tickle your fancy? I haven’t posted my world-famous Thai Chickenless Noodle Soup in a while.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

watching this with interest … Ta

simondbarnes
    zinaru
    Free Member

Vivera Veggie Kebab, served with salad, pita bread and your preference of chilli and garlic etc is total winner. my wife are both veggie but we have got several meat eaters totally hooked (including my incredible sceptical dad) . so tasty!

heck super green sausages are also fantastic as a superb meat free option in any sausage scenario! (ooh matron!)

bentudder

I tend to cook up a batch of this on Sunday, stick it in Tupperware tubs and have it for lunch during the week. It’s dead easy and you can go mad on fancier, bronze dye pasta as the two main components are peanuts: Tinned tomatoes and aubergine.
    It’s stupidly cheap – about a pound a serving – and if we’re doing a food thing at work, it’s the dish everyone asks me to bring. Which either says bad things about the rest of my cooking, or good things about how it smells and tastes.

One-Pot Spicy Arrabbiata

I can’t wait to try the recipes above. We’re also cutting back on meat, and curry in particular is a great all.

scruff9252

[strong]Cougar[/strong] wrote:

Does soup tickle your fancy? I haven’t posted my world-famous Thai Chickenless Noodle Soup in a while.

Thai soup sounds great!

scruff9252

Thanks all, got some great suggestions to start working though.

701arvn
    Free Member

working our way through this at the moment; Link

Simple, cheap, quick.

Cougar

Thai soup sounds great!

Thai Chickenless Noodle Soup

(Serves two hungry people)

Ingredients

75g creamed coconut [the solid block stuff]
    1L veggie stock (5x green OXO cubes or equivalent)
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    175g Quorn roast chicken strips [hard to find now, chunks are OK or slice some fillets]
    1 tsp turmeric
    ½ tsp hot chilli powder
    30ml (1 tbsp rounded) crunchy peanut butter
    Juice of half a lemon (add other half to taste, don’t use bottled)
    60g fine egg noodles, broken into ~6cm lengths
    1 tsp dried / 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaf
    Handful of spring onions, chopped
    Black pepper

Garnish
    1 tbsp Desiccated coconut
    1 tsp Dried chilli flakes

Method

Dissolve the creamed coconut and peanut butter into the hot stock. Thoroughly mix so that there’s no clumps. Be patient, this can take a while.

Meanwhile, fry the chopped garlic in the oil for a couple of minutes, in a large soup pan on a medium heat. When the garlic starts to brown, add the Quorn strips, turmeric and chilli powder. Fry for five minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the Quorn from sticking.

Add the stock / coconut mix to the pan with the lemon juice. Simmer partially covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the coriander, spring onions, noodles and a few twists of black pepper, then allow to simmer for another five minutes (until the noodles are cooked).

Whilst the soup is finishing cooking, make the garnish. Fry desiccated coconut together with the chilli flakes in a dry frying pan, stirring constantly until the coconut turns brown but not burned.

Decant the soup into bowls, and sprinkle with a little of the garnish. Serve with the rest of the garnish separate to allow seasoning to taste; chilli flakes are hot.

Cougar

The above ^^ is one of my favourite things. I once batch cooked it for like 18 people and they absolutely demolished it. Serve with tortilla chips.

timmys

From the recent vegan thread;

Not vegan, but often eat dishes which happen to be vegan (because good food is good food), favourites include;

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/black-pepper-tofu-a

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/06/meera-sodha-thai-tomato-salad-peanut-crumbs-vegan-recipe
    (if you’re not vegan this one is improved with the addition of fish sauce to the dressing)

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/dec/01/meera-sodhas-recipe-for-vegan-yaki-udon-noodles

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/30/mouth-numbing-noodles-chilli-oil-red-cabbage-recipe-sichuan-peppercorns-meera-sodha-vegan

Maybe easiest just to say “check out Meera Sodha recipes”!

sadexpunk
    dougiedogg
    Free Member

Broccoli and cauliflower gratin.

Yum Yum Yum!

jimmy

simondbarnes

Subscriber
    This is bloody lovely…

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/porotos-granados

It really is.

Also, I think it’s Otto Lenghi does a Sicilian Cauliflower pasta. It’s really very good as well.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

As promised

Brindian-style Curry Base (enough for approx 10-12 dishes)

This recipe was a happy accident. One night I made a root vegetable soup/stew and had leftovers. Next day I took the leftovers and added garlic, tomatoes, coconut milk and a few select spices then blended and recooked. It turned out great and surprisingly tandoori takeaway-tasting, yet is very low in calories as there is no ghee. The recipe is fairly easy to cook and is presented in two parts. Please let me know in the thread if you improve it. I tried to keep it easy. It’s quite a lazy dish to cook but a fair bit of chopping and peeling. Ok…

Part 1 – Root vegetable soup.

Ingredients:

2 medium brown onions
    1 medium potato
    1 parsnip
    3 carrots
    1 white turnip
    1/2 swede
    2 cups chopped cabbage (white or savoy)
    2 sticks of celery
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 large leek (or 2 small)
    1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
    2 vegetable stock cubes
    4 teaspoons onion gravy granules
    1 or 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    About a litre of water or enough to easily cover vegetables
    Salt and pepper to season

Method

1. Peel, clean and chop all veg. I first smash the garlic on chopping board with flat side of knife for easier peeling and chopping.
    2. Heat oil in large (4 litre) saucepan or the biggest you have.
    3. Turn to low/med heat and add onions, carrots, stirring.
    4. Once softened add the rest of the veg and stir
    5. Add stock cubes, mixed herbs and water. I use warm or boiled water
    6. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on medium for 45 mins.
    7. Remove from heat and leave to sit.

Part 2- To transform into curry base

Ingredients:

1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
    10 small or 5 large fresh tomatoes halved
    5 big cloves of garlic or one bulb, peeled and crushed
    2 cups water
    1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
    *1 dessert spoon red chilli paste or flakes
    4 level tsp ground ginger or chopped fresh ginger
    2 level tsp ground cumin
    1 level tsp ground coriander
    2 level tsp ground turmeric
    1 level dessert spoon tandoori masala spice blend (or garam masala)
    2 dessert spoons sugar ( I used brown)
    1/2 can of coconut milk or cream
    Salt to taste. Add a 1/2 teaspoon
    2 tablespoon vegetable oil

*just a teaspoon of chilli if you don’t want too much heat. Or no chilli at all is still tasty.

Method:

1. Heat oil medium saucepan then turn to low/medium
    2. Add onions and stir occasionally for 10 mins on low heat until softened/transparent. Don’t let them brown
    3. Turn heat to minimum and continue to soften until caramelising and golden.
    4. Stir in all spice and cook for 30 seconds then remove from heat
    5. Now add these onions and all other curry base ingredients into the vegetable soup. Stir well.
    6. Blend it all with hand blender until very smooth adding the 2 cups of water as needed. If you only have a jug blender then do in small batches.
    7. Bring gently to boil then turn to low heat, cover and simmer/cook for at least an hour, preferably 1.5 hrs, stirring occasionally and checking none is burning at the bottom.
    8. Remove from heat. Taste when cooled a little. Add and stir more sugar and/or salt to adjust if too bitter, or needs unifying.

Now simply portion it out and use/reheat this sauce for variations of British-style curry dishes. Simply add a punnet of mushrooms, or roast some cauli florets and potatoes with added caraway seeds and then stir in. Or roast onions, bell peppers and tomatoes ad some tamarind paste rogan josh style, or boiled egg, or spinach, paneer, puy lentils, chick peas, prepared soy mince, Quorn, tofu-‘chicken’, Oatly cream, etc etc

Add extra spices , heat, coconut etc as you wish. Freezes for three months in small portions. Keeps in fridge for 3 or 4 days at least.

As a base on it’s own it goes really well with simple flatbread/roti. Easy to make dough flour, water, a little olive oil, salt. Roll flat on floured surface and cook both sides in hot dry pan until browning.

I used the base below with fresh whole button mushrooms simmered in it for 15 – 20 mins. Served with plain basmati rice and fresh coriander. Sliced avocado.

myti
    Free Member

I’m going to make your lentil curry this afternoon Scruff, with red lentils and chickpeas. Do you cook on high or low for 6 hours please?

scruff9252

Myti – I use high to bring to the boil then drop down to low usually.

No real reason other than habit so may not be necessary…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ will try this thanks, although not sure I can get much more than some fresh coriander leaves for <£2. Is the cost based on assumption that we already have most of the ingredients?

Also, what’s a ‘shoogle’? ta 👍🏼

scruff9252

[strong]Malvern Rider[/strong] wrote:

^ will try this thanks, although not sure I can get much more than some fresh coriander leaves for <£2. Is the cost based on assumption that we already have most of the ingredients?

If you have to buy all the jars of spices to use a teaspoonful then yes, it will cost more than £2. Much like I’m not factoring in the cost of buying a house & kitchen into the cost of the meal.

If however you buy your bags of spices in bulk of a few 100g’s at a time (tip – amazon or your local asian supermarket), then a teaspoon here and there of spices works out in the pence per meal.

A shoogle is a technical measurement somewhere between “not enough” and “oops”

Also frozen “fresh” corriander for the win.

Cougar

You grab a handful of lentils whilst wiggling your hips.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A shoogle is a technical measurement somewhere between “not enough” and “oops”

In that case I’ll instead go with ‘2 x smartarses of…’ 😉

hooli

I’m liking some of these recipes, good winter food too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Favourite vegetarian recipes’ is closed to new replies.