Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fat,lazy and old….time to replace the 29er hardtail with full sus, options?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

It finally seems to have happened this year, i’m 40 and can’t be arsed training so i doubt i’ll be racing short-course next season. Love my carbon 29er hardtail but fancy changing to something full sus 29er so i can ride all day and enjoy it, nothing too major 100-120mm travel (100mm up front) but lightweight and not too pricey. I like the look of the Titus Rockstar Carbon (top of budget) but wondered if any STW’ers could recommend me anything else?

Thanks in advance

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d look at a Whyte M109 if I wanted a bike like that.

Alternatively, a more relaxed 29er HT unless you’re really sold on FS.

andypaul99
    Free Member

If you google specialized concept store, select your area and 2013 carbon epic, you can pick up a 2013 model Epic comp carbon for £2500 reduced from £3200 at the mo. Good upgrade potential for the future too.

roverpig

Yes, I’d start with the M109 if I had that wish-list. And I don’t even own one 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you google specialized concept store

I thought people were boycotting Specialized now because of that restaurant/cafe business…

Can you not try bigger rubber and a titanium or suspension seatpost, and maybe that new Brooks rubber saddle charlie the bike monger is selling, to get more comfort.

A FS is going to be heavier unless you pay good money, will require more maintenance costs because of the rear shock, and may be more energy sapping if the suspension isn’t efficient.

If if your HT has good kit on then can’t you just change the frame to something more comfortable, or even an FS.

Sandwich

40 is not old!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Plan is to transfer my kit as i have decent wheels/forks and XT M780 drivetrain.

I’ll take a look at the M109

£2.5k is not going to be a consideration, £900 max for a frame and i’m keeping the Carbon HT frame just incase! 😉

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i feel old! 🙁

pipiom
    Free Member

40 old. You’re having a laugh…. I feel very old.

2013 Anthems and Trances are available at silly prices now never let me down.

andypaul99
    Free Member

[quoteI thought people were boycotting Specialized now because of that restaurant/cafe business…[/quote]

Oops, sorry i didnt get that memo 😐

cp

anthem x 4 from pedalon. standard taper fork, sell all the bits, transfer your bits. sorted.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

cp…..that anthem looks interesting, not too sure about the rear shock though but a damn good shout! 😀

cp

the general consensus is a fancy rear shock on the anthem is wasted really. you could always pimp it at a later date.

steve_b77
    Free Member

If it’s the giant OE one, they’re meant to be very good

vondally
    Free Member

as Turner guy says trying a suspension seat post and bigger tyres may help but as a confirmed full suss person I would suggest

Turner Sultan
    Rocky mountain element more racey than the turner but still a very very good trail bike

both owned and loved

daznal
    Free Member

Second hand spark is a good option

thebiglad
    Free Member

Specialized camber, you will love it

tk46hal
    Free Member

I switch between my cross, rigid 29er and my full Susser 29er!
    It’s great getting on the full susser after months of only riding rigids.
    I have a Kona Hei Hei 29er and can highly recommend a look!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fat,lazy and old….time to replace the 29er hardtail with full sus, options?’ is closed to new replies.