• This topic has 261 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 262 total)
  • Fatism
  • Peyote
    Free Member

Moderation in everything?

Including moderation! 😀

baby
    Free Member

I’ve been called Fatist before because of my personal aversion to becoming overweight which I demonstrate through diet and exercise.

Thankfully Jimmy Carr has provided me with the perfect retort-

“I think you’ll find that you’re the fattest”

wwaswas

cheap cuts of meat all cheap as chips. Maybe cheaper

although cheap meat tends to either be very fatty (and therefore unhealthy) or require a long period of time in an oven/pot to make them palatable.

Cooking costs need to be taken into account too.

still that leaves;

tomatoes, onions, frozen veg

on the list.

Karinofnine

Vegetables, fruit, rice, pasta, pulses are cheap to buy – and provide a healthy, delicious, nutricious, balanced diet. Have a look at an image of MidlandTrailquestGraham – he’s living proof that you don’t have to eat meat or fish to be fit and well.

Problem is, people have to actually DO something rather than just opening a packet and shoving it in the microwave.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I was telling some chubby jokes at work and a lady colleague approached me and accused me of being ‘fatist’. I looked her up and down and replied “No love, I think you’ll find YOU’RE fatest!”

I’m allowed to tell that joke because I border on the obese scale BMI wise.

My partner works in a hospital, and what always flabbergasts me is the number of staff that are either morbidly obese, or that smoke.

Edit: Grrr, baby you beat me to it!

baby
    Free Member

I guess it’s your chubby fingers slowing down your typing Tucker 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Have a look at an image of MidlandTrailquestGraham – he’s living proof that you don’t have to eat meat or fish to be fit and well.

I have the same image. I keep it burned on my retinas.

baby
    Free Member

Ooof, that’s a real man that you could watch all day.

dabble
    Free Member

Decent quality food is expensive.

Aye, all that fruit and veg costs fortunes, more expensive than a takeaway pizza or curry? I can cook a decent healthy meal for myself and 2 others for less than a 5er. My mam is well overweight and i try to encourage her to eat more healthy, even suggesting teas she can do that i do, i love my mum dearly but it seems some people will always want a treat, whether they deserve it or not. It’s not a treat when you have it every other day.
    I’m not impressed by the lack of self control but then i suppose its like a vice, some people have 4 pints a night, some a bottle of wine, some smoke themselves silly, it’s not the best thing for us but we carry on doing it.
    Being fattest is bad, if your the fattest who’s left to judge?

annebr
    Free Member

It’s just plain nasty to post up pictures of people and make jokes about them. Whether they are fat or thin, just poking “fun” at them isn’t actually very nice is it.

And this behaviour is not likely to encourage a change in lifestyle for the “victim”.

billytinkle
    Free Member

@Cinnamon_Girl – you really think that the overwhelming majority of obese people have a medical problem that causes it and that it’s not just overindulgence?

I realise that in America obesity in now officially a disease and it’ll probably follow suit over here. But really? My opinion is that people just need to blame others for their problems these days and this attitude has now spread to their health too.

cookeaa

…is it wrong to encourage a healthy body through mocking/abuse?

That’s not the reason people abuse the overweight though is it, it’s plain bullying to help puff up their own ego, “Encouraging weigh loss through verbal abuse” just sounds like a weak justification for being a nasty git…

It’s an aspect of modern British culture I really rather dislike, for the most part we’ve knocked racism on the head, sexism and homophobia is far less acceptable, but overweight people still seem fair game. Flippant comments about it being “their choice” to eat too much tend to betray a serious lack of empathy or understanding IMO…

People who over eat tend to have some personal issues behind that behaviour “Comfort eating” is a very real thing, bullying these people will not generally help.

I do think women in the UK are far more weight aware and emotionally vulnerable to negative comment about their appearance, primarily due to the junk media imagery that’s thrown their way, my missus is an avid consumer of these sodding mags full of Pap shots of thin/fat celebs and crappy TV shows where over/under eaters are cajoled and bullied in a controlled environment to illustrate some point or another…

Funnily enough, out of the people I know, I tend to find the worst comments (typically made about women with weight issues) come from men who are a bit over the optimal BMI, easy targets I suppose, especially with those that don’t mind a bit of misogyny. but I find it quite telling how some blokes talk about and even to women…

molgrips
    Free Member

Simply calling it a disease doens’t mean it’s someone else’s fault.

Some diseases require a pill to overcome, some require hard work and commitment.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There’s some debate over whether pasta, rice and potatoes are healthy food..

Here here let them eat cake I say

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I guess it’s your chubby fingers slowing down your typing Tucker

😆

TuckerUK
    Free Member

for the most part we’ve knocked racism on the head, sexism and homophobia is far less acceptable, but overweight people still seem fair game.

You for real?

A persons race, sex, and sexual leanings aren’t chosen, they are inbuilt. Being overweight IS a choice.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Hear hear let them eat cake I say

FTFY

molgrips
    Free Member

Being overweight IS a choice

In theory, yes, but it’s not QUITE that simple in many cases.

baby
    Free Member

We make the other great social pariahs stand outside in the cold yet we’re supposed to be all sensitive in this instance?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

People who over eat tend to have some personal issues behind…

Replace ‘over eat’ with:

‘abuse children’

‘murder people’

‘rape’

Should we be all PC towards them to?

kimbers

baby – Member
    We make the other great social pariahs stand outside in the cold yet we’re supposed to be all sensitive in this instance?

someone being over weight doesnt make my clothes smell or increase the likelihood of others developing cancer

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😯

camo16
    Free Member

Some real silliness going on here, I have to say…

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Amazed that Cougars OH gets abused in the street or any body does, what is wrong with some people.

I’m not that surprised at all. Being Ginger I used to get a lot of abuse in the street. Have had cans, bottles, even a shoe thrown at me. I chucked it in the bin so the chavvy little fu€ks had to go fish it out. Was beaten up (not brutally, but by a few people at a time with punches and kicks) a few times. Haven’t had any trouble since moving out of Sheffield for Bristol though.

That was a couple of years that was a real eye opener. I found I could avoid a lot of the trouble provided I didn’t go out around town at the weekend. This wasn’t a huge inconvenience because there isn#t a lot that interests me in the centre of Sheffield but my mates did put a night on at at venue called The Red house which requires walking for a little along the high street, past all the horrible bars so I could guarantee getting a little bit of abuse at least. It’s my mates 30th in a couple of weeks and he is having it at The Red House. Not sure I really want to go back up to Sheffield for it.

I don’t know if It’s a cultural or educational thing. I doubt It’s going to change quickly though. During the day it was abuse, occasional kicks or things being thrown from groups of kids, boys and girls from 10 – 20. During the evenings it was pissed up adults from 18-35.

I have some great friends in Sheffield but the rest of the city can fu€k right off. I’ve had less trouble in Newcastle!

grum
    Free Member

A persons race, sex, and sexual leanings aren’t chosen, they are inbuilt. Being overweight IS a choice.

Or it just depends on the quality of your gut bacteria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23970219

And mental health issues, as above.

Being judgemental is not good, full stop.

Painey
    Free Member

People with a very high body mass index should have to pay for all their own healthcare if you ask me, provided of course there is no medical reason for it.

You won’t believe how much extra money they cost the NHS. At least smokers & drinkers get heavily taxed.

They should also have to pay extra to travel too. If I’m not allowed to take extra weight in my suitcase on a plane without having to pay for it, why should they be allowed to on their gut?!

grum
    Free Member

Replace ‘over eat’ with:
    ‘abuse children’
    ‘murder people’
    ‘rape’
    Should we be all PC towards them to?

Congratulations, I think this might be the worst argument ever put forward on STW.

People with a very high body mass index should have to pay for all their own healthcare if you ask me, provided of course there is no medical reason for it.

You won’t believe how much extra money they costs the NHS. At least smokers & drinkers get heavily taxed.

Yeah let’s charge people who hurt themselves mountain biking too.

I’m yet to see pictures of people smoking being posted up for everyone to mock. Also, most smokers I know are on those e-cigarettes now and you can generally smoke them wherever you like.

Junkyard
    Free Member

On what planet does one need to reside to compare being overweight with sexual offences in order to moan about PC

Painey
    Free Member

Yeah let’s charge people who hurt themselves mountain biking too.

We don’t require very expensive custom beds, machines, rooms, lifting equipment etc so I fail to see your point there.

cinnamon_girl

@ Sue – good post and well done that girl. 🙂 Dare I ask how she’s treated by other club members?

@Cinnamon_Girl – you really think that the overwhelming majority of obese people have a medical problem that causes it and that it’s not just overindulgence?

It’s not as straight-forward as that. Into the equation comes the food industry and their continuing onslaught to make us become food addicts by way of increasing amounts of sugar and goodness knows what else. Also farmers have been financially encouraged to use GM to increase yields.

Add into the mix toxicity due to the lack of regulations that used to exist with pesticides.

I don’t think it’s as simple as eating less, for many people their bodies are not working as they should due to the increase in auto-immune conditions.

Sorry if this doesn’t make sense, it’s my brain fog.

AlexSimon

I really shouldn’t have opened this thread.

TooTall
    Free Member

Being weightist isn’t cool.

Waddling and sweating towards self-induced Type 2 diabetes isn’t cool either.

grum
    Free Member

Changes in the gut microbiome from low-dose antibiotics caused mice to gain weight. Similar alterations in humans taking antibiotics, especially children, might be adding to the obesity epidemic
    ……
    a disproportionate number of 11,000 kids in the United Kingdom who were overweight by the time they were 3 years old had taken antibiotics within their first 6 months of life.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=antibiotics-linked-weight-gain-mice

So when you’re mocking the overweight you might be mocking someone who is lazy, has no self-control etc, but you might be mocking someone with mental health problems, a thyroid issue, or someone who was ill as a child and had too many antibiotics. Probably best to err on the safe side and not be an arsehole eh?

For the hard of thinking, looking at the reasons why things might happen isn’t the same as taking away personal responsibility.

kimbers

agree with what you say CG but fail to see how this

Also farmers have been financially encouraged to use GM to increase yields.

-has any relevance whatsoever

emsz
    Free Member

Wow, just wow 🙄

Some of the comments on this are unreal.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

GM is going to be the only way we can supply enough enough food for the world. We are going to need to grow with hydroponics too.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jun/20/crop-yeilds-world-population

Sue_W
    Free Member

@CG – she’s treated the same as everyone else, with respect and banter 🙂 Yes, she is a bit slower on the hills, but so what? She’s got fantastic bike handling skills as she comes from a mtb background, so is an excellent descender. To be honest, to me we’re all the same, out riding bikes, trying our best to improve / get fitter, but above all just getting out and enjoying ourselves 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They should also have to pay extra to travel too. If I’m not allowed to take extra weight in my suitcase on a plane without having to pay for it, why should they be allowed to on their gut?!

Eat your suitcase?

cinnamon_girl

-has any relevance whatsoever

kimbers – grains are changing beyond all recognition. How many people do you know that are unable to tolerate wheat? How come when I was a child bread was part of my staple diet and never suffered any ill-effects? Now I’ve gone gluten-free due to side effects.

Why is that then?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Fattism is really more of a problem for the person who holds fattist views. Such a judgemental attitude is a reflection of their own insecurity directed agains other people that they deem ‘unworthy’.

When fattism becomes state policy, that’s when you should become concerned. Meanwhile, my local concil wants to know what people think is a healthy weight. Why?

http://m.chichester.co.uk/news/your-community/opinion-poll-on-weighty-west-sussex-issue-1-5461888

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Fatism’ is closed to new replies.