• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fatbike fine tuning
  • scotroutes

I’ve been riding the Fatbike for a couple of years now, getting used to the handling over various types of terrain. The Husker Du tyres in particular seem to match it really well and it feels very capable over most surfaces. Dirt, gravel, small rocks are easily rolled over. However, I’ve been having some problems descending over rockier tracks (think Laggan, some Peaks stuff). The problem is that the little “suspension” there is derives from the tyres themselves, running at somewhere between 8 and 12psi. While it will take a couple of boulders in its stride, things start to get out of control a little when the rebound of the tyre starts making the bike (especially the front end) too lively.

Of course, there isn’t really any way to control/damp this rebound….
    …. or so I thought.

What I sussed out is that I could improve the performance of the “suspension” by using a different, more dense gas. With the help of a car-mad mate, I managed to fill the tyres with some Nitrous Oxide. What a difference this has made. The tyres deform less over rocky terrain and thus I get less rebound from them. This has got me to thinking – what other relatively available gases would it be worth trying??

scaredypants

Xenon ftw – doesn’t even bugger up your latex jizz

Moses

Assuming that this isn’t an April Fool, carbon dioxide.
    More-or-less the same density as N20, cheaper, more available. Personally, I don’t believe you.

Houns

Methane from all the BS you’re spurting, stick the valve in your gob and blow, or stick it up your arse and fart

Clobber
    Free Member

Nice job scotroutes!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Only thinking this till 12;00hrs ?? 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Helium FTW shirley, think Hindenburg only on a bike. 😆

househusband

Cobalt-carbon-potassium gas is what you need.

Your fat tyres would appropriately be full of CoCK… 8)

Clobber
    Free Member

Your fat tyres would appropriately be full of CoCK..

Does this mean they auto produce their own sealant?

househusband

😆

epicyclo

I have refined the idea of using gas as a suspension medium.

At first I thought of using paired Nitrogen atoms, but the expense was not viable, so I modified it to a mixture of 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon and a few other trace elements.

This gives excellent results, and the beauty is i have invented an compression pump which lets you extract this from the atmosphere.

So for a one off payment for the pump of £499.99, you will have a free supply of suspension gas for life. (It can also be used in your forks)

I will be seeking to crowdfund this. More details later.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not the way Scotroutes rides.

Clobber
    Free Member

Not the way Scotroutes rides.

Not stimulating enough?

JoeG
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

Helium FTW shirley, think Hindenburg only on a bike.

Wrong! 😡

Helium won’t burn like that. Hindenburg used Hydrogen, which burns… 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike fine tuning’ is closed to new replies.