Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Fat bikes – purchase etiquette and alternatives to On-One
  • 40mpg

My mates got an On-One fatty. I like it. I want one. But I am concerned about turning up on the same bike – would that be out of order? It didnt seem to be a problem with all the inbreds and Scotts turning up at our rides, but the whole point of fatties is their ‘individuality’, right?

And if I didnt go for the On-One (which ticks all the right boxes and hits budget), what else should I consider? I’m after a more trail-oriented ride than monster slog endurance. Also, I’m not sure I can wait until February for the Singular (which would be more expensive anyway).

Thoughts?

benji
    Free Member

You are never going to get exclusivity with an on-one the pricing does not lend it’s self to it, if you don’t like that keep saving. As for individuality it’s a mass produced item, not a hand crafted bespoke item, so in my opinion a bit of a mute and dead point.

ska-49
    Free Member

Get the on-one and powder coat it a different colour. White is horrible anyway.

I am concerned about turning up on the same bike – would that be out of order

Only if it’s not a tandem and you are a grammar pedant.
    Turning up on an identical bike however…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Get the On One and polish it, would look like a chunky original Haro freestyler which has to be one of the coolest bikes ever made 😀

shortcut

If you wait a couple of weeks your mate will have got bored of it so you can buy his off him second hand.

and then sell it on again in a month or so.

unless you by the beach or somewhere snowy or sandy.

iolo
    Free Member

Specialized have one coming out soon.

scotroutes

but you can’t polish a tur… 😆

OP – just buy the bloody thing. It’s not about “individuality” it’s about having a good time riding a bike.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

By next summer 26 inch fatbikes will be soooooooooo last year. Get a Surly Krampus (29+) and you stand a chance of being niche for at least 6 months if you’re lucky.

scotroutes

40mpg

Get the On One and polish it, would look like a chunky original Haro freestyler which has to be one of the coolest bikes ever made

Would actually look a lot like my old DP Freestyler, which was the coolest BMX I ever owned. Like your thinking 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

Buy whatever you like. I’m sure a different colour will sort out any worries about individuality.
    To any passing person they all look the same anyway.

Oh, and it’s not a “mute point” it’s a “moot point” 😉

But either way, it doesn’t matter.

Woody
    Free Member

Good shout – that will let everyone know you are an ‘individual’ 💡

ciderinsport
    Free Member

40mpg, at least your not considering the same as me!

I want be different to you 🙂

twoniner
    Free Member

Get the rolling chasis and build it up with a difference.

Just little things like drilling the rims and a different colour rimstrip, bars and stem would make a small change. try the Carver O’Beast carbon forks too. Depends on your budget ofcourse.

mobes
    Free Member

New charge fat bike looks nice

satchm00
    Free Member

Indervidual eh?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/ZXOOFAT/on_one_fatty_rolling_chassis_bundle

Gets you the fatty basics and you can pimp it however you want.

coastkid
    Free Member

If starting from scratch again i would go for the Puffin kickstarter kit,

Then buy the On One Fatty kit at £500, Then sell the frame set for £300 (even drop to £250) and still in on the wheel/tyre set for £250.

Howitzer BB is £55 on eBay, add some secondhand Howitzer cranks (i paid £20 with 3 new Shimano chainrings at the weekend.

Strip an old hardtail for the running gear and you have a nice fatbike for what? around £750 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

Coastkid said exactly what I was thinking…. Must resist…

You could even run the fatty for a bit whilst waiting for the puffin…

iolo
    Free Member

Good shout – that will let everyone know you are an ‘individual’ [/quote]

That might have been said with a touch of sarcasm 😉

theashnav
    Free Member

It wont be the same as mine as I bought the rolling chassis and fitted Race Face cranks and other bits I had – since the picture ive changed the rotors to orange floaters and the stem and the seatpost still got the drill the rims – and no 40mpg will not get mine as he knows how much I like it we do also have a very good local powder coater which we have both used so colour changing is an easy option 😀

Northwind

I can’t bring myself to give On One any money but that aside Coastkid’s spot on, even if you don’t want the frame the build kit is silly value.

Paceman
    Free Member

“New Charge Cooker fat bike looks nice.”

+1 🙂

epicyclo

40mpg – Member
    …but the whole point of fatties is their ‘individuality’, right?…

Nup, it’s to have fun. And that you’ll have. 🙂

It’s good we have 2 great choices from UK sources – the On-One and the Singular.

theashnav
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

40mpg – Member
    …but the whole point of fatties is their ‘individuality’, right?…

Nup, it’s to have fun. And that you’ll have.

It’s good we have 2 great choices from UK sources – the On-One and the Singular.

Dont forget the Charge Cooker as well they are UK based but as Ciderinsport is going to get one then its going to clash with one of us – 40mpg knows its fun he’s been watching me having a great time going where I want to at a half reasonable pace and a smile on my face.

40mpg

The Charge does look nice, but its got shit brakes, which would cost another £100 to upgrade (and I can’t imagine anyone would buy a set of Pro Max Decipher).

Plus its another £200 to start with.

Might go with the Fatty and just ss it to start 😀

Edit – Genesis Caribou is another UK offering, but £500 more than the (complete) On-One

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I am planning on ss’ing the cooker for the winter, and swapping the brakes with another bike 🙂

So, what ss gear for a fatty?

Clobber
    Free Member

is the on one singlespeedable or do you need a tensioner?

40mpg

It’ll be a tensioner. Same for the Cooker.

theashnav
    Free Member

The Caribou is the better spec – but for £1500 it shoulf be – mine only cost about £700 ish with a brand new chainset and BB – The One One Fatty is geared only so a tensiner is needed – Im thinking of trying it and starting on a 20 tooth once the mud sets in

soobalias
    Free Member

the whole point of fatties is their ‘individuality’, right?

Thoughts?

you give ‘cyclists’ a bad name?

Clobber
    Free Member

What crank options are there for fatties?

40mpg

What crank options are there for fatties?

So far I’ve found:
    SRAM X5 fatbike crank about £130
    Raceface Chester £110 plus chainring(s)

Any 100mm BB DH chainset will do, but others seem overly burly or expensive.

Or a Surly Whirly but thats a lot of £££

Northwind

Raceface do the Turbine in a 100mm, but I don’t think it’s imported to the uk.

scotroutes

The Raceface cranks are listed with UK RRPs at Silverfish

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/Category/12820/Fat-Bike-Cranks

theashnav
    Free Member

I run the Race Race Chester 2×9 on my Fatty works great great but I think I had the first one Silverfish sold and the crank bolt was the wrong size but thats sorted and its a good strong crank and bearings are easier to get over the Truvativ BB as its external

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Don’t forget the FSA comet! Although it might not be over here yet!

coastkid
    Free Member

Phil Wood 100mm Square taper too!,
    Available via Tim at sideways,not sure on price now, had mine 5 years and only 3rd set of SKF bearings and its dipped in the sea quite often 🙂

Middleburns RS7s with 4 arm spider are up to £145 ish now on eBay, but i bought a used set that had been used for trials so are scored on one side (which i will file then polish out) for £30 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Go and see Tim at Sideways, he’ll see you right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes – purchase etiquette and alternatives to On-One’ is closed to new replies.