Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fat Albert vs Nobby Nic
  • honourablegeorge

What’s the main difference? Will an Albert give me more front wheel grip than a Nic as the ground turns sloppyier in Autumn, or is it mainly just durability?

chrisjnr
    Free Member

So is it specifically for front wheel use, that you want it for?
    I used all round Nics last year for all conditions and I found them fine, but this year I tried it with a Ralph at the back and found it much more ‘predictable’ in the dry especially.

Nics are fine for most conditions but I’d assume that the Albert will offer more grip when it gets muddy 😛

Jamesy
    Free Member

I had nobby nics on my 5 and now I’m running 2.4 fat alberts, still early days but I’m stuggling to notice much difference between the 2

GregMay
    Free Member

Fat Alberts grip less than a dog on ice.

Worst. Tire. Ever.

TheFlyingOx

Got Nic on the rear and Albert on the front. I can honestly say that whilst grip is pretty phenomenal in dry to mildly damp conditions, the Fat Albert is lethal in the sloppy conditions you’re anticipating. Don’t do it.

Jamesy
    Free Member

I did notice the fat alberts ‘skips’ around a little but the trails I’ve been on haven’t been too wet

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Tbf I’ve had that ‘skipping’ with the Nic at times 😛

honourablegeorge

Right. Not much difference then. Have a new Ralph and a worn out Nic on the Soul, and two Nics in good Nic on the Spicy.

Was thinking of swaping the front Nic on the Spicy onto the Soul and putting something more grippy on the front of the Spicy. Maybe a Muddy Mary, then.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Why not get yourself a ‘mud tyre’ then like a 2.0 Dirty Dan… I’ve heard they cope well

honourablegeorge

Don’t want to go out-and-out mud, normally the Nics are plenty for me, but just thinking I might experiment a bit as I have a tyre that needs replacing.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

I’ve heard that somewhere before… *starts whistling and staring at sky* 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it’s for a Spicy then do the decent thing and put a minion on the front. I ran one on the front for the first time recently for a week in morzine and it was properly amazing. Gave me loads of confidence in the front and never did anything that caught me by surprise.

EDIT: I’m considering one for the front of a Soul too with something fast on the back.

Edric64
    Free Member

Farmer Johns are still available if you shop around from 20 years ago.But I really dont get all this what tyres for….. guff

Suggsey
    Free Member

Minnion on the front for grip then whatever you want on the rear- for me another Minnion-predictable great grip if not a little draggy having run Ardents all summer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fat Albert vs Nobby Nic’ is closed to new replies.