Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fat 29er tyre recommendation
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Something that would fit in a niner fork, was thinking of a 2.4 ardent as n offer in crc. Also wondered about racing Ralph? got a 2.4 mountain king already so something fatter (they come up narrow to be fair)
    Sadly Knard not in stock and not sure it would fit.
    Ta

Mantastic
    Free Member

Knard?

tazzymtb

what rim is it going on chap?

tazzymtb

if you’ve got a wide rim…stick this bad boy on. Yes it’s heavy but tubeless and at 10psi it eats everything and grips like poo to a blanket.

I used on the Normal width Ti truss forks and it rocked!

mahoooooosive and cheap 29er rubber

comes in about 82mm on a dominator 42mm 29er rim

aracer
    Free Member

Most of the uni boys seem to be running Hans Dampfs.

Clobber
    Free Member

On-one chunky monkey is huge! heavy and good and cheap

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Clobber – Member
    On-one chunky monkey is huge! heavy and good and cheap

I don’t think the On One Chunky Monkey is any heavier than other fat tyres, but they are awesome for grip.

Pop on an On One Smorgasboard on the back and it’s the best grippy combo on the market IMHO

Stoner
    Free Member

tazzy, you freak!

Weight: 1.5kg

at least ralphs come up at 61mm on 35mm rims and only weigh 600g ish.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Bonty mustang rims (might change to arches at some point)

That dissent looks meaty! Anyone ridden assents?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I wouldn’t run an Ardent on the front in the mud, no grip at all.. And 1500g for a dissent !!! You may as well run a fat tyre.

tazzymtb

You may as well run a fat tyre.

kinda just the thing…like a knard before knards came along and work in 100mm spaced jones ti truss fork… (see I was miles ahead of these jonny come lately surly wannabes) 😆

tazzymtb

tazzy, you freak!

love you too Stoner 😀 xxxx

will be heading over your way in april so will bring beer and demand a guide for the hills!

Stoner
    Free Member

as long as it doesnt clash with the bristol tube fondling festival, I’ll be here. Toll bridge charge = 3x bottles of Iniis & Gunn black 😉

tazzymtb

deal!

I’ve found another rather special beer as well so will bring you something “extra”

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I never even considered the dissent as an option at that weight.

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.4 racing Ralph on the front of my fish.pretty good even in the deepest of bloop! Although its a tight fit in a reba sus fork.

Gotama
    Free Member

If you’re not in a rush maxxis have released a 2.5 minion in 29. If you search for it in google along with mtbr then I think one of the early testers has posted the dimensions. Tis about 1kg though as it’s a pretty beefy sidewall etc unlike the knard which is apparently wafer thin according to reviews.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Might give ardent a bash, I know futon said about mud but 35 from crc right now so hard to ignore

sambob
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey gives silly amounts of grip, which means I’m really going to hurt my self when I run out…

fontmoss
    Free Member

decided on a hans dampf, fingers crossed it lives up to its pricetag

Wonder if they’d work on a 50mm rim if they had too? hmmm

Gotama
    Free Member

Dampfs are good unless its muddy, then they clog like a cloggy thing, slide all over the place and weigh ‘kin ton. Moist through to dry, over wet roots and rock they’re very good though and you can’t have everything. If you haven’t paid yet it might be worth dropping mattjg an email as he had a hardly used trailstar and pacestar he was getting rid of I think.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the front of my Gryphon which comes up plenty big. Seems to be fairly fast rolling and good over wet rock, roots sludgy leaf mold etc.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers gotama I’ll try find an email for him. Bad in mud eh? Lucky we never get it in the UK then…

mattjg
    Free Member

@gotama thx

@fontmoss yg (more) mail this AM, I’ll get’em off to you if you are happy to wait a little while, I’ve had plenty of people do me good turns on here too so it’s all cool

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fat 29er tyre recommendation’ is closed to new replies.