Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • fanken-biking a CX?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve got a “really” good idea for my next commuter bike…

I don’t go very far, and there are a few cheeky shortcuts I can take, so was thinking a CX bike might be the best way to go…

I like the idea of discs, as rim brakes are pants! (imo)
    But I don’t like the idea of drops…

So planning to get the CX bike on bike to work scheme, swap out the drops for flats, get a trigger shifter and bang on some Shimano hydro brakes…

Thinking of doing that to the pinnacle arkose two.

Has anyone done the same/similar and what was their thoughts on the outcome?
    Can I use a 10spd MTB shifter with the 105 rear mech, or will I need to get a road specific shifter?

cheers!

thomthumb
    Free Member

So planning to get the CX bike on bike to work scheme, swap out the drops for flats, get a trigger shifter and bang on some Shimano hydro brakes…

just get a hybrid.

swapping stuff is likely to be expensive (not as expensive as the other way mind).

make sure you size up on the bike to account for reach. could be as much as two sizes. but the top tube might be quite high like your voice if you fall off!!

nemesis
    Free Member

It’ll work fine but will be a little short/upright as obviously the frame will have been designed for drop bars rather than flat. It’ll definitely be perfectly rideable though maybe a 29er with skinny tyres instead?

You can’t mix (shimano) road and mtb 10 speed.

thomthumb
    Free Member

you can get road flat bar shifters.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just get a hybrid – plenty light ones with hydro brakes around.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘fanken-biking a CX?’ is closed to new replies.