Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Family summer hols in Barmouth/North West Wales – any good?
  • Painey
    Free Member

I’ve suggested to my other half that rather than head to Cornwall this summer (which I imagine will be stupidly busy), we look at going to Barmouth/Dolgellau area instead. I’ve been to the area a lot but only on mtb weekends with mates.

Question is, what’s it like for a family in the summer? I’d like to take our 8yr old to Coed Y Brenin for a start. Barmouth looks nice except I’ve never been there. I’m wondering if it’s quiet or a genuinely nice place to take kids to play in the sand.

Also what are the midges like at the end of August? Appreciate comments as I know what there is to do around the area etc. but I’ve struggled to find info from anyone who’s been there with family.

scotroutes

We were there a few years back.with my young daughter. Found loads of interesting stuff to do. I’d not hesitate to recommend it.

FWIW it was late July and we had no midges.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Barmouth beach is nice and the surrounding area stunning, lots to do.

We are about 1hrs drive away. Sometimes it’s very quiet and nice, sometimes it’s back to back traffic jams.

Let’s face it UK beaches are going to be packed this summer

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Barmouth is a sh!thole and will attract the worst type of staycationers especially this year. Try Porthmadog or Harlech although again I’d expect them to be rammed as well

grum
    Free Member

Don’t see how you could call Barmouth a shithole. It’s a lovely area but as above I suspect everywhere vaguely well known will be rammed this summer.

ofked
    Free Member

Not that familiar with Barmouth but my parents live a bit further north near Llanrwst so a regular visitor to North Wales (but not for a year…).
    I thinks it’s an amazing place – mountains and beaches, what’s not to like? Countryside is stunning and lots of things to do.
    Not so close to Barmouth but Greenwood and Zip World are both fun places for a family day out.
    And maybe a sneaky trip to Penmachno or Gwydir Mawr too (not for the 8 year old though.
    If you want to make a good impression, and amuse the kids, learn how to pronounce Welsh place names properly too:

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Don’t see how you could call Barmouth a shithole. It’s a lovely area

The surrounding coast and countryside is indeed lovely but Barmouth itself is a shithole

pennine
    Free Member

We stayed a week in Barmouth 4 years ago & liked the area. The car never moved for a week because we used the train and organised our visits & walks around the timetable. Some stations you stick your arm out for the train to stop. Might be different under corvid of course.

ofked
    Free Member

Can’t get the link to insert. Google cyclingwales and you’ll find it.
    Never had a problem with midges (that’s more a Scottish thing) but plenty of big black flies if you’re near farming areas

MoreCashThanDash

Amazing place. Beaches, crabbing, flat cycleways and trail centres, steam trains, loads to do around that corner of the country.

We tended to stay down near Towyn, but been up and down the coast in cottages.

Painey
    Free Member

best worst club in the UK

It can’t be worse/better than Neath Workies surely?

We’re hoping to stay up near Penmaenpool and then cycle down the river to the beach. I’m happy to have a bit of a drive around and planned on visiting Harlech etc too.

raleighimpact

I have a static on a quiet site near Dolguellau, and we spend most of the summer there.

You have Coed-y-Brenin, Mawddach trail, plus a huge/near infinite amount of footpaths and bridleways, including Cader Idris. There is plenty of walks an 8 year old can easily do. The precipice walks (old and new) are both good.

Beaches, I prefer Fairbourne opposite Barmouth. The village is not great, but if you head more towards the river you’ll have plenty of beach and a lot quieter. As someone has mention Barmouth gets rammed on a sunny weekend, with the roads full, plus it has suffered from lack of investment away from the harbour. The beach between Aberdyfi and Tywyn is also great, and when you get away from the two towns, is pretty remote. Shell Island you have to pay for access, and frankly there are just as good free beaches around.

There are also lots of little railways a short distance away. Also Bala lake/Llyn Tegid is not far

My kids are 4 and 6, and there is lots of outside things to do with them. When it starts raining, then it becomes a little difficult! Just pack waterproofs!

binners

It’s a lovely part of the world. As noted, you get the best of both worlds: a beautiful coastline with great beaches and then big hills and countryside behind you

We had a fantastic holiday there a few years ago with our two girls, aged 10 and 12 at the time, and my sister, B-i-l and their kids. It helped that we had a 2 weeks of uninterupted sunshine. The kids wanted to spend most of their time in the sea on their bodyboards, but we had a few days out too. There’s loads to do

I took my bike with me and managed a couple of jaunts out

BigJohn

We stayed a couple of nights in September 2019. We weren’t there during the day as it was CyB first day and windsurfing at Aberdyfi the second day. However, pubs, restaurants and places to buy stuff for breakfast were all fine.
    My preference would be Aberdyfi/Borth/Machynnleth though. We would have gone there if we could have found an AirBnb the day before, which was when we decided to go.

Spud

Been going to North Wales since I was tiny with my folks and now late 40s we go every year with our kids, can’t recall a year we haven’t been as it has everything we would want to do. Anywhere from Aberdovey and up the coast/ mountains is great. We now either stay in Arthog just over the Barmouth Bridge or Betws. A lot for a family to do. In my experience Barmouth is improving.

Klunk
    Free Member

regardless of how “shit” the town (i quite liked it) is the beaches are fabulous.

lots of lovely riding to be had too

timbog160

Barmouth is fine, not a shithole at all, although a little run down in places. Loads to do with a little one, beaches great esp a bit further north. Walk over the bridge is also great.

Edit: it will be full of Brummies though 😂

hexhamstu
    Free Member

We’ve just booked Barmouth as a replacement for a france holiday, so I hope it’s good! Any change of scene will be good enough I think.

grum
    Free Member

I could imagine it being a bit grim at the height of summer but I was there out of season and thought it was nice tbh.

stevextc
    Free Member

We stopped in some log cabins (recommended on here) right next to Coed y Brenin.
    If you’re cycling or driving then the world is your oyster …. beaches are going to be packed everywhere but perhaps Nefyn (rocky) or Llanbedrog (sand) would be quieter?

Spin
    Free Member

I didn’t think much of Barmouth as a town and preferred Dolgellau. Either way there’s heaps to do in the area.

wheelz
    Free Member

A few years ago now, but we camped with two young kids near Dyffryn Ardudwy, just North of Barmouth. Beaches are fantastic, and it was close enough to take the kids cycling at Coed-y-Brenin (and for a couple of short solo trips there). Not much entertainment, other than the campsite pub, but loads of space for the kids to let off steam once they got back from the beach. Barmouth was easily accessible on the train, which you stop like a bus at the station, within walking distance of the campsite. The following year we stayed at a campsite in Barmouth itself. Nice enough site and it was a short stroll into town, but we preferred the previous year’s campsite. Beautiful area and the kids enjoyed it, so there must have been enough to do. Some really nice (and easy) bike rides for families along the river to and from Barmouth too.

RobHilton
    Free Member

surfer
    Free Member

It was few years ago but I remember winning a 10 mile road race that finished in Barmouth so I have fond memories 🙂

makkag
    Free Member

I’ve booked a house there 7-14th august for the UK break with my boy and niece, Go to North wales most years loads to do. Towns a bit rundown but everything you need and the beach is great loads of places off the beaten track nearby

sobriety
    Free Member

Back in my 20s we used to do long camping and drinking and beaching weekenders on shell island campsite in the quiet season. Just North of Barmouth and great fun, the beach was always amazing.

kirky72
    Free Member

Harlech beach is very nice, long as well and sheltered by massive dunes, it should be easy to space yourselves away from others.

There’s a nice petting farm for the little ones in between Barmouth and Harlech.

sandboy

As others have said, it’s great for biking and beaches. We’ve been going to north Wales and Snowdonia almost every year since the kids were little and they love it. My daughter was only asking recently when we would be going back. If you are lucky with the weather, there’s not many places in the world I’d rather be.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Loads of road bike climbs I’d love to do around that area in addition to CYB etc. for MTBs, ideally when I’m lighter and fitter than currently, plus to see how much it’s all changed since I lived there in the early 80s as a kid.

World’s second steepest road in Harlech, some lovely climbs up to Cregennan Lake from outskirts of Fairbourne and Dolgellau, plus the legendary Bwlch Y Groes climb that’s south west of lake Vernwy, to name a few.

jbproductions
    Free Member

Barmouth town itself is possibly not a shithole but gives the impression of one being packed full of drunk tattoed brummies during the summer. I’d avoid , however the surrounding areas are lovely. Lots to do if you like beaches, bikes, walking etc.

matt_outandabout

Is the Sandancer club still open?

Where “Reality ends and fantasy begins” if I remember correctly.
    A few good night’s in there while on placement across the bridge at Arthog for 4 months.

Painey
    Free Member

Thanks all. Pretty much as I suspected so I appreciate the comments. Accommodation is now booked up. We’re staying right next to the Mawddach trail so good cycling is right on our doorstep. I’m a big fan of the pub in Penmaenpool too so I look forward to going back there again.

dpfr

Memories of Mountain Leader courses and Outward Bound at the Joint Services Mountain Training Centre at Tywyn many many years ago. Fabulous country but definitely Tyoe 2 Fun at times. Probably a bit much for an 8 year old!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

What’s not to like mountains meeting the sea. Personally I would drive and ride about as much as possible!

Oh shit that’s it now house/holiday let/caravan/shack/shed prices will go up tenfold again!

mahalo

It’s a lovely area but Barmouth itself of one of the worst places I’ve ever visited. Makes Blackpool look like Val de Lobo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fantastic area, mountains, beaches, not that busy (away from Barmouth) and great ice cream.

Year before last we went to Abersoch, that was lovely.

p7eaven
    Free Member

We’re staying right next to the Mawddach trail so good cycling is right on our doorstep. I’m a big fan of the pub in Penmaenpool too so I look forward to going back there again.

Last time I went (Nov 2018) it was closed up and looking as if they were going to town on interior refurb (that was a long cold disappointing ride from my tent to a dark shell!)

Heard it was to be taken taken over by Robinsons hotel chain. Should be long reopened now. Shame though, as I used to love the open fires, old fashioned food and Purple Moose. It might now be good again though? Another option is the Torrent Walk Cellar Bar in Dolgellau. Purple Moose and fires! (That was a long cold rewarding slog from my tent!) No food served though, is just a bar. Pays to check ahead before heading anywhere on a bike/long walk to make sure it’s open.

Just make sure you cycle/hike up, the Mawddach to brunch at T H Roberts at least once. And take some of their amazing cake/s with you as you leave. It’s never been a disappointment, and I’ve been visiting for decades.

Barmouth is rammed tho in summer. Luckily plenty of spots nearby.

If you head up the Gwynant River from the Mawddach Trail at Abergwynant Estate there’s a footpath all the way to the lane at the foot of the Pony Path up Cader Idris. 2 litres of water and banana will get you to the summit on a hot June day.

Recommend overnight kip up there if weather is fine. Find a grassy spot.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Insider tip: If the pub proudly advertises Sky Sports as the main attraction, nine times out of ten you will be better off elsewhere!

scruff
    Free Member

Sandancer in the sunshine always makes me think Im in Mexico.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Family summer hols in Barmouth/North West Wales – any good?’ is closed to new replies.