Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • F1 vs MotoGP
  • failedengineer

never thought I'd say this, but does anyone else think that F1 is getting exciting and Moto GP going the other way? Superbike racing is still the best to watch though, IMHO.

clubber
    Free Member

It's more about which one you care about IMO than the quality of the racing per se.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Indianapolis (Motogp) this weekend was poor.
    Rossi not riding his best, Colin Edwards literally giving up.
    Once the race got underway, not much actual racing, more each person building up a gap. Did enjoy Stoner's crash – always like seeing him sliding off – particularly as was having a go at Rossi just before chucking it away.
    Saw highlights of F1 – don't bother watching the racing anymore – but did look quite exciting – Lewis managed to avoid the tyre wall by a small margin.
    Motogp has too few bikes on the grid, Ben Spies is proving exciting watching, but otherwise is a pretty dull year. Hopefully Rossi going to Ducati next year will spice it up again!

higgo
    Free Member

In theory, I'd say MotoGP is the better.
    In practice I'll watch MotoGP if it's on but I'll make an effort to watch F1.

Does that help?

69er
    Free Member

The Moto GP bikes looked lost on the grid this weekend. F1 is such a massive spectacle, the racing so far this year has been better than ever.

2010 – a dull season for Moto GP, but I wasn't massively excited by the endless Rossi 'coming from behind' 😳 scenario of previous years. Mince Spies has got a lot of promise, so with Lorenzo crowned King in 2010 and Rossi with two healthy legs and Stoner on the Yamaha, 2011 looks like a much better year.

I think F1 needs to be understood to be appreciated, many have too low a boredom threshold. But this year is building nicely! I've even grown to quite like the Red Bull no.2 driver. No idea who's going to win the drivers championship, even after Spa.

So it's F1 for me, Moto GP recorded to watch later and ff through the boring bits.

danes
    Free Member

I absolutely love Moto GP but this year has been a little bit dull – the Rossi injury didn't help cos I'm sure that there would have been some good battles between him and Lorenzo right now. I'm pinning my hopes on a good season in 2011 though – Rossi at Ducati will be very interesting.

singlecrack
    Free Member

moto gp usually
    but this year moto 2 has been great
    I think they have got it right with the same engine idea

Pook

I like F1, and i like moto GP. After the race I watched the moto gp and found it dull as dishwater. I think if i understood it more (as I do F1), I'd probably enjoy it more but it was tedious.
    Sorry, it just was.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's more about which one you care about IMO

Agreed 100%

But this year's F1 has been great viewing and will attract more interest as a result.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm a biker so MotoGP for me. I do like F1 too though.

This season is okay, the only reason Lorenzo will win is because of Valentino breaking his leg.

And I agree that we need more bikes on the grid.

Ducati and Valentino will be very entertaining for sure.

uplink
    Free Member

I probably understand motorcycle racing a lot more than I do F1 [or any other racing]

MotoGP in the last few years has lost something, it seems to be suffering the way F1 did/does in that most of the the top riders are able to ride on the limit for most of the race – & their limit is very close to everyone else's limit so it becomes a procession once they've settled down

maybe I'm getting old 😉 but I think they need to step back a bit & look at what made it so exciting in years gone, I'd even vote to bring back 500cc 2 strokes.
    Straight forward, standard ignition box & battery, no other electronics at all would be a good start IMO

Sonor
    Free Member

More of an F1 watcher. It's good this year because you've actually had a number of Drivers who can actually win it, compared to earlier this decade when Schumacher and ferrari dominated which was incredibly dull.

I too like Red bulls no:2 driver, I would like him to win it to stick it in the face of the pro vettel red bull team, 😛 but that would mean Red bull would actually win something. 😐

The world rally championship is like that at the moment with Loeb and few manufacturers making up the ranks…I don't know if it's the same in moto gp, but the only name I hear is Rossi.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Pre-2010, I always thought that F1 was dull and loved MotoGP. This year MotoGP is boring and I due to food poisioning I watched the F1 on Sunday (there was nothing else on and I couldn't travel too far from the lavy). I've got to admit that I thought it was quite exciting especially the last 10 laps when the rain started coming on.

I think next year in MotoGp, the battle will be between Stoner & Pedrosa on the Hondas and Lorenzo on the Yamaha. I don't think Rossi will have enough time to sort out the Ducati and is coming to the twilight of his career .

gixer-chris
    Free Member

Big +1 on what uplink said – too many electric aids on the bikes are making for boring racing. Still prefer moto gp to F1, even though this is the most boring moto gp season yet. 125's and moto2 are making up for it though.

World Superbikes are where its at though!

FuzzyWuzzy

It basically comes down to which has the most crashes in it for me… The Eurosport crash program before the Vuelta the other day was particularly good, some bloke came off a bike so fast he hit the gravel, bounced up high and cleared the crash barriers…

ShaunW1973
    Free Member

F1 all the way. Already have tickets for enxt years British GP at Silverstone.

This season will go down as a classic, and Sundays race at Spa was gripping. Vettel showing he's only any good from the front, as he can't overtake without hitting someone else.

I'm a big fan of Lewis and Jenson, but I'd love to see Webber win. He desrves it, and it would really stick it to Vettel. So many drivers with a chance, it's building up for a great finale.

mendip
    Free Member

As a big fan both F1 and Motogp, I have to say Motogp is better than F1 for entertainment value.

Yes at Indy was boring over the weekend and Spa was better, but it's depend on the tracks, some can be exciting to watch and some is like watching paint to dry! Look at F1's Bahrain and Barcelona this year, both was boring to watch and Motogp at Jerez was an exciting race. No different to a football match where you can watch a dull no goal game and another match will have a seven goal thriller.

@Zedsdead ~ This season is okay, the only reason Lorenzo will win is because of Valentino breaking his leg 🙄 poor excuse!

You are missing the point there, before Rossi's crash in Italy by pushing too hard on cold tyres at race 4, Lorenzo was leading the championship beating Rossi twice in the first 3 races with wins, Lorenzo was on fire and riding the best of his career, Rossi would have struggle to beat him if he was uninjured, sure Rossi would beat him now and again but not the championship.

Motogp need to change the rules to make it cheaper for more teams to enter, like the rules changes for Motogp2, just need more bikes and teams to make it better viewing.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

"I'd even vote to bring back 500cc 2 strokes.
    Straight forward, standard ignition box & battery, no other electronics at all would be a good start IMO"

Honda made sure that will never happen, but that's a whole other subject…

" I don't think Rossi will have enough time to sort out the Ducati and is coming to the twilight of his career . "

That's what they said when he joined Yamaha – remember, the Yamaha was a heap of junk before he came long….

Mendip – without Rossi's development of that bike Lorenzo would have no chance. You know it. I know it. And he knows it.

Hadge
    Free Member

This years MotoGP has been quite dull, I think in most part to Rossi's injury and Stoner giving up and thinking about next season. I'm glad Jorge is doing well and he will be up there for a quite a few seasons. Moto2 has been fantastic with great close racing but I'm also a big Bradley Smith fan in the 125cc class and really did want see him get the crown this season after doing so well last year.
    Apart from the first boring race F1 has been a breath of fresh air and it's good both on and off the track as usual. Lets hope the rest of the season stays this good.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Poor season in motogp, but still better than F1. Moto2 is showing them all up a bit though, full grids and close racing.

juan
    Free Member

Still I hope they pay rossi a lot to ride on a R1 yeurkkkkkkkkkkkkk

mendip
    Free Member

Zedsdead ~ 'Mendip – without Rossi's development of that bike Lorenzo would have no chance. You know it. I know it. And he knows it'

If Rossi develop the M1 Yamaha to a race winning bike, then Lorenzo must be good beating him on his bike 😉

You have to give credit to Lorenzo this year incase you forgotten this, it's was Rossi that wanted to have a wall between him and Lorenzo in the pits when he arrived his team in 2008 and in 2009 Rossi put a stop on sharing data information with him, Lorenzo just get on with it and do the 'talking' on the track and is improving all the time.

It's no brainer for Rossi to leave Yamaha for Ducati next year for easy life as he will have no threat with new team mate Nicky Hayden, life will be difficult if he stayed with Yamaha and Lorenzo and getting beat more regular.

Rossi is a great champion no doubt but there is young guns out there taking his place and beating him, life moves on and Motogp will carry on when Rossi retire.

andrewh
    Free Member

I know about F1 and therefore care about who wins. I love big machines and find politics fascinating so I watch F1.

If I want to watch good racing it's the DTM (hampered by rubbish media coverage)

ChrisA
    Free Member

moto2 and wsbk for me, more brits in both and better to watch. I love Moto GP but its not been its best season this year. F1 i think is going to be close, and also BSB is right at the knuckles at the moment between Tommy Hill, Kyonari and Josh Brookes!!

martinxyz
    Free Member

I recon Rossi will adapt to whatever he gets. I liked the pass someone made on him yesterday and within a few corners he got back in front again.To pass pretty much whenever he puts his mind to it is just amazing.Reminds me a bit of ayrton senna.If someone passes him its like he can feel the humiliation and just hangs off and rides around them again.when this happens,the rage in his head with the coolness to control it in his body is some combo.

I watch both but enjoy watching the motogp since passing my bike test.anyone can go around corners in a car without the worry of what happens if you make the slightest mistake. i just dont have the respect for the drivers as much as the riders. watching them hanging onto something with over 220bhp and knowing when to loosen up and/or hold on over some of those rough sections was good to watch. The fear of losing it in a corner in the car would mean a spin but for those guys.. its sliding on the deck or pinging off in a highside.

The point where i turned off the f1 on sunday was when the guys distracted lewis to talk about his tyres while he was approaching a dropping right hander. He sounded a bit lost before the corner,then was completely lost with the job at hand and lost it. poor sod. a perfect example of why talking on the phone has been proved to be worse than drink driving! I wonder if they even considered this as possibly the main reason why he went off at that point?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Mendip, I agree that things are moving, no doubt.

But there's still more to come from Rossi I reckon.

ANd of course, I agree that Lorenzo is very good. But he doesn't have the pressure of Rossi now. As soon as Rossi is back to top form he will feel the pressure and start falling off evrywhere again lol

😉 😈

epicyclo

MotoGP is boring now.

Not enough Australians to make it exciting.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

" I don't think Rossi will have enough time to sort out the Ducati and is coming to the twilight of his career . "

That's what they said when he joined Yamaha – remember, the Yamaha was a heap of junk before he came long….

True. However, I'll bet you a pint that Lorenzo and Stoner finish above Rossi next season 8)

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The point where i turned off the f1 on sunday was when the guys distracted lewis to talk about his tyres while he was approaching a dropping right hander. He sounded a bit lost before the corner,then was completely lost with the job at hand and lost it. poor sod. a perfect example of why talking on the phone has been proved to be worse than drink driving! I wonder if they even considered this as possibly the main reason why he went off at that point?

AFAIK the radio transmitions are on a time delay and that conversation would have happened a few corner ago so i'd imagine it was the conditions that sent him off the road and not the comms with his engineer.

I'm a fan of both but have to say that this years MotoGP has been one of the most boring championships that I can remember. I have been watching it from the old 2 stroke days of Lawson, Gardener, Mamola, Spencer etc and for me that was brilliant racing.
    Rossi has also come out saying he'd prefer the bikes without that aid of electronics which would certainly make it more affordable and maybe encourage more teams to the grid, but like F1, MotoGP is the pinicle of the sport and it's all about highly engineered prototype machines.

epicyclo

Mulletus Maximus – Member
    …I'm a fan of both but have to say that this years MotoGP has been one of the most boring championships that I can remember. I have been watching it from the old 2 stroke days of Lawson, Gardener, Mamola, Spencer etc and for me that was brilliant racing.

+1

The modern bikes don't try to fold in half at 180mph when they wind them out. Boring 🙂

Finchie85
    Free Member

F1 everyday for me although i do watch Moto GP when its on if i'm around.

Was sat in the stands on the first corner at the Belgium F1 at the weekend at the atmosphere was amazing and seeing Hamilton win was awesome. The championship is definetly building well and there seems to be much more action this year with no clear favorite as yet….

mendip
    Free Member

Zedsdead ~ 'And of course, I agree that Lorenzo is very good. But he doesn't have the pressure of Rossi now. As soon as Rossi is back to top form he will feel the pressure and start falling off evrywhere again lol'

Well Rossi seem to crash alot this year lol, he crashed three times at Indy, one on each day! he must feel the pressure to push harder to keep up with Lorenzo and the rest 😉

Zedsdead
    Free Member

youwait….. you'll see…

Out of interest – are you a biker? I feel a stw biker meet is needing to be organised…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Rossi still has a lot to give. I think he'll suprise quite a few next year on the Ducati as he did when he won 1st time out on the Yamaha at Kaylami.

Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa have all proved to be very fast when out in front but when they've fought wheel to wheel with Rossi they made mistakes. Stoner in 08, Lorenzo last year and Pedrosa all the time.

It will also be interesting to see how the Yamaha will develop over the next couple of seasons with their main boss (not sure of his name, not Lin Jarvis) retiring and team Burgess following Rossi over to Ducati.

mendip
    Free Member

I havent heard anything about Jerry Burgess going to Ducati with Rossi yet, there been no mention of that yet, just Rossi and his friend, the chubby one that follow him everywhere who carry his helmet and gloves for him. Rumours according the latest mag that Burgess is staying at Yamaha and work with Ben Spies.

It will be interesting if Rossi can make the Ducati as good as Yamaha M1 next year, time will tell for us.

uplink
    Free Member

Spies has hinted that he'll be working with Tom Houseworth next year

epicyclo

I'd like to see Burgess with Stoner.

I wonder how good Rossi will be without the technical backup of Burgess.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The info about Burgess came from Julian Ryder/ Neil Spalding whilst watching Sundays race. It was also mentioned that Spies was taking his crew over to Fiat Yamaha too along with Stoner's to Honda.
    Although not confirmed yet, the info that comes from JR/ NS is usually correct.
    Edit from previous post, Guy retiring from Yamaha is Masao Furusawa.

gixer-chris
    Free Member

A racer is only as good as his technical team – thats why Rossi is one of the best.

I've been reading Rossi's autobiography and although he was prepared to go to Yamaha without Burgess, he really, really wanted Burgess by his side.

I cant see Rossi moving without knowing he'll have JB with him

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[quoteOut of interest – are you a biker? I feel a stw biker meet is needing to be organised…
    [/quote]

I ride a bike, but I don't really like the riding to a cafe,smoking fags, talking and looking at bikes part of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘F1 vs MotoGP’ is closed to new replies.