Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • external battery for dab radio – does it exist?
  • sadexpunk

made a bit of a booboo, bought a lovely pure evoke 1XT prestige for my lad from someone on here. really happy with it but i was assuming id be able to get one of those longer lasting chargepak batteries for it, as hed be wanting to use it on building sites, painting and decorating etc.

realised when we got it that it doesnt actually take any battery, its mains only.

have we got any viable options here? ok, it wont take an internal battery, but are there any realistic options of external battery/power bank type things thatd plug into the power socket on back of radio?

im aware you can buy external batteries, but i guess theyre sort of aimed at phones and suchlike, just wondering if theres anything with enough juice and right connections to match one of those chargepaks.

thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

I assume that its going to be a 230v supply, with an internal transformer to step down to 12v (or whatever the DAB actually runs off)

In which case any portable power is going to be big and impractical (battery and inverter).

e.g. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-portable-power-pack-with-12v-modified-sinewave-200w-inverter-a10hz?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CNyg6K_H0tACFQUq0wodo2sCPA

PCWorld/Currys are currently doing a special on a DAB portable radio that takes batteries for £17 (got one for jr for xmas) which is probably more suitable for site use. COupled with 8x AA rechargeables and a charger from 7dayshop…

(£17 in store, £30 on website 🙁 )

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/audio-and-headphones/audio/radios/logik-lrbdab14-portable-dab-radio-black-21898287-pdt.html

wwaswas

Looking athe specs the transformer is in the plug so you’d need a 9v power supply to replace the mains connection.

Quick seems that most rechargeable 9v packs are pp3 and very low maH so you’d need a few.

I’d probably stop trying to bodge something, cut my losses and buy an alternative that takes an internal battery – he doesn’t want a battery pack with a wire to cart round as well as a radio, I expect?

Keep the one you have for use in the garage…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

DAB radios are quite power hungry, the supplied charger for yours seems to be rated at between 800 and 1500ma (the bigger ones runs cooler and lasts longer).

I think you might struggle to get a full day out of a standard internal rechargeable battery.

Milkie
    Free Member

If you want your son to be the kewl kid, then he needs this:

It takes Makita drill batteries.

All the kewl kids have them on sites. 😉

sadexpunk

ok, it seems my idea really isnt worthwhile pursuing then, thats a shame, looks and sounds lovely. ill look into an alternative radio then. oh and if anyone wants a mains pure evoke 1xt prestige for what i paid….. 😀

If you want your son to be the kewl kid, then he needs this:

yeah a few people have mentione makita radios, mebbes a bit pricey for us tho

thanks a lot

EDIT: thinking about it, he goes to work on a bike and works on different sites, so any suggestions for a smaller but ‘beefy sound’ radio much appreciated ta.

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a JBL Flip 2 and it’s got a big sound for a small BT speaker, it gets used outside and in the garage. The battery isn’t the best (4-8 Hrs temperature dependant), but you could get a USB battery pack to extend the battery life.

alexxx
    Free Member

Minirig… well built, light enough to carry and just runs off your phone or whatever source you want with a jack.. battery life is about 20 hours and about £100ish to buy.

I’ve actually got a red one i’m selling as I bought a bose soundlink instead but that’d be terrible on site and battery isn’t 1/2 as long.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, just had a quick google and as i thought, those two are just speakers. hes after an actual dab radio as he doesnt have any data on his phone so cant stream it from dab apps.

just wants a smallish decent sounding portable dab radio.

thanks a lot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘external battery for dab radio – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.