Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Exposure Lights – MaxxD vs SixPack
  • intheborders
    Free Member

My old Exposure Toro is showing it’s age and last week it felt decidedly elderly – in it’s 10th year, so done well. It still runs nearly 3 hours on full power but the ‘power’ isn’t what it use to be or not what I’d like.

So, MaxxD or SixPack, any reason to buy the SixPack when I’m 100% sure the MaxxD will be perfect?

Night riding we do is anything from simple XC/gravel thru to Enduro trails at Inners/Golfie.

joebristol

I haven’t tried a six pack but have the mk13 (I think) MaxxD. It’s like having a mini sun on the bars.

Prior to the MaxxD I had a Halfords 1600 lumen thing and I thought that was good. When I moved to the Maxx d it was a huge leap up. Use it mostly for steeper tech stuff around Bristol – like the steeps in Leigh Woods.

What I haven’t used it for is flat out fast enduro trails.

Sometimes there’s no such thing as too much light – maybe the six pack would prove that 🤷‍♂️

Edit – just a thought – if budget is a thing here perhaps go maxx d and buy something whizzy for the helmet – like a Fourth Scorch or Exposure Zenith?

tuboflard

I replaced an older MaxxD with a Six Pack a couple of years ago. Much better in terms of out and out light power but much longer burn times too. Did a 3 hour loop last week and only got through about 30% of it. I don’t think the weight difference is that noticeable either when on the bars.

z1ppy

Friend just sold me his Maxx D and is now causing me shadows with his 6pack… I’d be buying the 6pack currently on their outlet store

abingham

If you shop around the Six Pack can be had for under £50 more than a Maxx-D.

For me, it’s worth at least that over the Maxx-D.

DrP

I went from a Maxx-D to a six pack (in the evans half price sale).
    I cannot tell the weight difference at all when on teh bars, and size wise the difference is minimal…
    The run time and light output IS worth it over the Maxx-D, if you can stretch the extra few quid..

DrP

intheborders
    Free Member

Sounds like the SixPack, thanks.

Helmet-wise I just run a standard (consumable/disposable) CREE twin-spot with a battery in my pocket/pack, means I don’t have to worry about run-time nor smashing it.

StirlingCrispin

Good choice.

Maxx-D is awesome for controlled rides but the Six-pack offers more for adventures.

I upgraded in March to a Six-Pack as I was unnerved by finishing a snowy Yat with 5% charge on my Maxx-D.

Tuesday – rode for a couple of hours to the pub.
    Wednesday – Thump uses the same light with no recharge to ride Colsnaur in heavy rain.
    Returned with 40% charge left!

sharkattack

Where’s the best deal currently on a six pack?

Just out of interest. Definitely not buying one…

andrewh
    Free Member

I have both, albeit my MaxxDs are older. Definitely much more power and run time on the Six Pack, no question.
    However, I also have a Full Beam Night Nemesis (I do 24hrs, you can never have too many lights!) and, while this is more faff, in terms of getting it on and off the bike, changing batteries, etc, I do prefer the beam spread of the Full Beam, it seems to give more peripheral vision than the Exposures do, even the big Six Pack.
    For solo racing I would take the Six Pack but for teams racing, or not racing at all as the OP, I would take the Full Beam, the faff is minimal if you aren’t going to be swapping bikes or anything and on the Golfie trails I’d want the extra periferal vision.

tuboflard

Where’s the best deal currently on a six pack?

Just out of interest. Definitely not buying one…

Exposure outlet has factory second at £348…

lowey

I swapped from a Troutie special to a six pack. Nice light but the blood switch is a right faff and wont work at all in freezing temperatures.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Latest toro emits 3000+ lumens, maybe exposure can update the internals/change the battery.
    Spend the rest of the budget on a lid light.

intheborders
    Free Member

Latest toro emits 3000+ lumens, maybe exposure can update the internals/change the battery.
    Spend the rest of the budget on a lid light.

I had thought of that, but reckon I’ll get enough selling it.

My cheap helmet lights are through choice, I’ve clipped enough off with branches/falls etc and it also means I can carry a spare battery. And running the 2-spot CREE’s means I’ve loads of peripheral vision too, which is why I’ve no problem with the ‘tighter’ beam of the Exposures.

But I’ll now take a look at the new Toro…

Del

Exposure outlet has factory second at £348

Strikes me a as a decent price. As mentioned elsewhere mines 6 years old, used twice a week, and I paid £300 in 2015. Great value by my reckoning.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I went from an old Maxx-D (1200 lumens) to the latest Toro (3200 lumens) and very happy with it, at least until some idiot behind me buys a Six Pack.

Much better than a Magic Shine I tried (rattly mount, beam pattern terrible, useless battery indicator, annoying cables)

btw, they are still cheaper at SDJ https://sdjsports.com/products/exposure-six-pack-mk11-2022-with-35-31-8mm-qr-bracket-front-bike-light

sharkattack

btw, they are still cheaper at SDJ

Now we’re talking. I might be able to put that on a credit card and pretend it never happened.

mrmoofo

The comment from my rinding group, who all tend to be Exposure fanbois, is that they are great lights – but with really crap mounts. Anyone else had that experience ( only because I am just about to get in the car to drive up to USE HQ to buy one)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

that they are great lights – but with really crap mounts

Not sure I 100%agree with the really great lights bit, but totally agree with the crap mounts bit. The basic plastic clip and rubber band on my Equinox just doesn’t hold it properly

luket

On Toro vs Six Pack, they’re quite different beasts I think. I have both. Not absolutely up to date models but only a couple of years old, so near enough. For xc riding the Toro is great. I bought it more for a gravel bike. But doing with the Toro the techier, tighter, twistier riding I’m used to with the Six Pack is very different and feels quite restricting. Ignoring the distraction of the brighter lights of others, I think this is not about brightness in the forward direction, for which the Toro is plenty, but about beam angle. Six Pack goes much wider.

What’s the issue with the bar mounts? Good system I think. Secure, easy and quick to use. Needs a drop of lube on the button once in a blue moon. Slight concern that one day it might kill me in a crash, but it’s not the only pointy protrusion on my bike.

luket

Not sure I 100%agree with the really great lights bit, but totally agree with the crap mounts bit. The basic plastic clip and rubber band on my Equinox just doesn’t hold it properly

I don’t think Equinox was their finest hour. The battery life on mine was poor and the remote (IMHO) pointless and unreliable.

Alex

I’ve had zero issue with the bar mounts over many years.  The helmet mounts however…. not a huge fan but that’s as much about helmet shape as the quality of the mount.

intheborders
    Free Member

No issue whatsoever with the bar mounts, except I’ve broken a couple.

Good and solid and usually run them almost fully tight – don’t move in while riding but do get the ability to move the light slightly if needed.

mrmoofo

Re mounts – thanks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I don’t think Equinox was their finest hour. The battery life on mine was poor and the remote (IMHO) pointless and unreliable.

Very interesting. I’ve got a bit of a downer on Exposure lights, mainly due to the Equinox. I think the RRP was around £300 with a silly little piggyback battery and I just dibg reckon much to it.

I totally agree that the battery life is shit. I assumed it was just mine was faulty. I’ve never used the remote control.

I got mtbbatteries to make me a 4 cell support pack for it, which means it lasts longer, but still rotates infuriatingly on the bars.

Got 2 Joysticks which are good, and an Axis which is meh. Have mainly moved across to Moon, but if you reckon Equinox was a low point then i might try again with anothervif their more longstanding models.

swanny853

I’ve still got the bar mount that came with the joystick I bought in 2008. I now have more across a few bikes and I doubt I could tell you which is three years old and which is thirteen. They just keep working and are absolutely zero faff for sticking lights on for a ride.

On lights models- I’d probably have bought a toro to replace my older maxx d except I found a newer maxx d cheap in a sale. The six pack is worth having only if you need the burn times for big adventures or riding several days a week, in my opinion at least. Not much reason *not* to get one if the cost isn’t much different though

oikeith

The shop only had the MAxx D in when I went in last year, so that’s what I got. If they’d had the 6 pack I would have gone for it as brighter and longer battery is always gonna be a winner right?

DrP

I’ve no issues with teh mounts at all…
    The bar mounts break when you crash – by design, I guess.

It’s a small price to pay for being a numpty!!!

DrP

Alex

I bought the factory 2nd off Exposure. Needed a couple of other things so was happy to pay a bit more than that excellent SJ cycles deal.

Probably now going to find my 4 year old Diablo isn’t cutting the mustard as a helmet light. Still as long as I can silhouette my riding buddies, I’m happy 🙂 Be interesting how much I notice the difference over my 3 (or maybe 4) year old MAXX-D.  Also whether I give Reflex another try.

stcolin
    Free Member

I feel really poor with my Mk8 joystick and I think, 10 year old MaxxD.

mrmoofo

just bought a six pack of SDJ – which was 25 quid cheaper that the Exposure second …

sharkattack

just bought a six pack of SDJ – which was 25 quid cheaper that the Exposure second …

Did you use the code LIGHTSALE for an extra tenner off?

Alex

Just tried the 6-Pack v the Maxx-D in the field opposite. Fairly sure farmer has reported a UFO landing taking place 🙂

Even on the default setting (so not the max power) it’s colossally bright. Having said that the MAXX-D is not shabby at a all. Slightly different beam pattern as well. Shall see if it makes a difference on the trail. Or to be more honest, if it can make up for my old eyes!

Can’t believe I used to go night riding on 6v Lumis. 45 mins of candlelight followed by that terrifying fade from yellow to black 😉

intheborders
    Free Member

Just been out on the gravel bike, with just the Toro on the bars as I was sticking to the roads/lanes as it’s rained all day. But went off road too.

The Toro is now feeling like a 70’s car running 6v electrics and when I got back I’ve just googled it and apparently a 2010 Toro only had 700 lumens when new…

Now going to buy a light – definitely Exposure.

Oh, and I got a new bar mount last week. Put it on tonight and it’s a new design. 2-part and the bolt has been moved to be a top tighten. Easy to put on and solid. Result.

intheborders
    Free Member

I was going to buy the Toro, cheapest I could find was Sigma at £250 (including £25 off for 1st order), and then I saw that SDJ had new MaxxD at £278 (including £10 light sale).

MaxxD on its way.

beamers

The Toro is now feeling like a 70’s car running 6v electrics and when I got back I’ve just googled it and apparently a 2010 Toro only had 700 lumens when new…

Where did you find that info? I have a feeling that my MaxxD of the same vintage wasn’t breaking 1000 lumens when new.

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw that SDJ had new MaxxD at £278 (including £10 light sale).

MaxxD on its way.

Good price.

I’d be tempted myself but my Toro / Diablo combo still works well enough for my purposes (newer Toro tho).

iainc

I am just about to sell a perfect condition MaxxD Mk 12, at £180 posted, with bar Mount and charger, if anyone interested..

cp

I am just about to sell a perfect condition MaxxD Mk 12, at £180 posted, with bar Mount and charger, if anyone interested..

PM incoming

iainc

cp, thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Lights – MaxxD vs SixPack’ is closed to new replies.