Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Exposure flash/flare
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Thought about getting the exposure flash & flare light set last year but never quite got round to it.

Now its getting dark at the start/end of my commute it’s time to start thinking about lights again. They would be used as additional ‘see me’ lights. I would probably want to mount the rear one on my helmet, are they light enough?

Anyone using them? Are they any good?

njee20
    Free Member

You can get 1000+ lumen lights from China for the same. I’m surprised at you.

They’re good, very neat. Brackets are the weak point IMO, particularly on the rear, there’s no angle adjustment.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm no angle adjustment might not be very good for a helmet mounted light then.

Must have a look for one of those 1000 lumen rear lights you mention.

sofatester
    Free Member

You can get 1000+ lumen lights from China for the same.

Mug!

I made some 2000+ Lumen beasts in my shed from tin foil and a broken calculator. Only needs six triple AA batteries each hour to run.

I’m Brilliant me!

wwaswas

tin foil and a broken calculator

and?

I use tin foil or a broken calcualtor.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve harnessed the sun on my handlebars, the bracket is a little awkward, needs a few zip ties. But it’s free.

Must have a look for one of those 1000 lumen rear lights you mention.

Get one of the lights you were banging on about in that thread the other day, and some red crepe paper?

crazy-legs

They’re really good lights, very bright. You won’t get it to mount on a helmet though, the mount only works on a seatpost. To be honest, it’s best there anyway, helmet mounted rear lights are crap, they’re nowhere near as visible as people think. Hidden behind rucksacks, only viewable from a small angle and they can disappear from view altogether if you move your head around. Seatpost (or rack) is way better.

Get the pack with the recharger and batteries included. Think Evans are doing them at a discount at the moment…

cbscratcher

Excellent lights. Go for the rechargeable battery set as they are brighter. I find a small piece of foam under the bracket stops it moving around on the post, especially on the road bike with non round post.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Might just buy the front one then if I can’t helmet mount it. I alreday have the option of two Cateye TL-LD1100 on my seatpost.

njee20 stop trying to be a smart arse.

njee20
    Free Member

It was being a smart arse interspersed with genuine advice. Perhaps I should’ve put a smiley in there.

I’d echo CLs advice that helmet mounted just isn’t very good. If you want helmet mounted and happen to use a Joystick/Diablo then the Micro Red Eye is neat.

Definitely get the rechargeable one too.

brooess
    Free Member

very happy with mine

PhillN
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Flare on my helmet (Giro Xen). I ditched the original rear mount and bought a fitting for the Flash. This fits perfectly for the Xen, although not for a colleages helmet who wanted to do the same. The diameter of the Flash and Flare are the same. This works very well, even though I have a rucksack on, according to colleagues that have seen me riding to and from work.
    The Flash is a great little light. I’ve just ordered one to go on my helmet as well.

noodlesuk
    Free Member

I’ve been using these for commuting over the last few weeks. Excellent lights, flash mode is good for getting attention and full on mode is more than bright enough in most conditions for the darker nights. Nice and compact for keeping in pockets etc so always on hand. Only downsides, I’ve found the threads on the light unit is quite fine so have to take care when swapping batteries not to cross thread. Also had some issues with the spring contacts not making properly, needed some tweaking so the spiral was tight enough to touch the un-insulated part of the battery. Minor niggles, overall good lights.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run the rear one, which is excellent. I’d prefer a black o-ring though….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Exposure flash/flare’ is closed to new replies.