• This topic has 143 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by llama.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • expensive clothes festive 500………. anyone having a go?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

A slightly longer than planned ride this morning puts me just over two fifths of the challenge completed.

mrmo
    Free Member

A very different day to yesterday, bright sun. Another 65km done, so 215km down, forecast for tomorrow isn’t looking good and I don’t know if I can stomach another soaking.

crazy-legs

forecast for tomorrow isn’t looking good and I don’t know if I can stomach another soaking.

Yeah tomorrow’s forecast isn’t great and then on 27th I’m driving up north so 2 days off.

I’ve done 180km so 3 more days of decent weather and big rides (100km +) should see it finished in good order.

I like to finish on NYE up in the Lakes.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Three fifths done. Today was not pleasant so I’m hoping tomorrow’s a bit less damp.

gauss1777
    Free Member

50 miles accompanied by my wife today. It felt quite cold all day, with a nippy headwind all the way out, but nowt to help on the way back. Thankfully there was one cafe open in North Berwick. Back along some very nice, new to me, roads through East Lothian.
    44% complete now.
    I do wonder as I see other people cycling along if they’re doing the challenge too. I was passed by someone, flying along in full Rapha clothing.

carbon337
    Free Member

399k to go, 5 days left. Best set an alarm and go for another 100k tomorrow. Was cold and tough today in Northumberland.

onehundredthidiot

Just over halfway. But wife has come home with a stinking cold so hopefully I can complete before succumbing.

hofnar
    Free Member

Coold’nt gather the courage the go and commute in and out on icy roads in rural france while parents still around for breakfest. Managed 30 on my lunch break(they haven’t gasped the concept of boxing day public holiday down here yet, so up to 120k total now.

Absolutely no stress though two year ago I was 310K short on the 30th at 9am and made it so I am large in my timing. Tomorrow back in the office for a long day and then the cheating can start from saturday onwards 😉

k1100t
    Free Member

Managed 80km yesterday morning before going round the in-laws for the rest of the day. The rain wasn’t supposed to start until midday(ish), so obviously I got utterly drenched about 45 mins from home at half passed nine. Not riding today, but hoping to get out tomorrow and attempt to rack up 150km or so. Not sure I’m going to complete it, unless I do either two 160km, or four 80km rides, which I’m not sure I can fit in.

onehundredthidiot

Another damp century to a closed cafe. Today was miserable but 142km to go. Probably in two rides.

alwillis

Rode home from the outlaws today in grey cloud the whole way (150km). Now got 146km left, with 100km group ride planned tomorrow (first ride I will have any company for).

Might take a rest on Sunday and finish it commuting next week.

GHill

Passed 300km today. Starting to feel it.

crazy-legs

Drove up to my sister’s today so another day of no riding.

Meeting a mate early doors tomorrow for my first ride since Xmas Day. Hopefully be a 100km or so taking me up to 300km total.

Finish it off on Sunday – Tuesday although I don’t reckon it’ll be much over 500km total.

Mister-P
    Free Member

100 miles today leaves me about 30 to go. However I have my daughter for the weekend so no riding until Monday. My commute will put me over the line by Monday evening.

jonnyyeti
    Free Member

Done 170k but has to bail today due to hamstring. Was planning on another 300 over the weekend but need to rest up and admit defeat.

llama

Quick one on Boxing Day on the cycle path, then a long grey drizzling day around Swindon today. Brings us up to 320k done.

mrmo
    Free Member

A fairly flat out and back to Bristol for 140km , bringing me to 350, so only 150km to do in 4 days and the weather forecast looks ok.

Merak

The ticker reaches 280km the furthest I’ve ever made it.

I’m going big tomorrow in an effort to break the back of this leaving me a little to do on the coming days.

Today was v wet and miserable. Good luck to all taking part.

Kudos.

onehundredthidiot

73.1km.to go. Today was the hardest yet. Strong headwind. Thought I’d judged it for a boost on the climbs but it was a westerly not a southerly so it was on my face not my arse.
    Everyday has been +1000m which is beginning to tell.

crazy-legs

100km around the Yorkshire Wolds today although I sort of made it harder than it had to be by going up Rosedale Chimney. It was so foggy though I couldn’t see much of the road in front of me so not seeing the top actually helped!
    280km now. 3 more days, 3 more rides. No worries.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Hard going today, with a hellish headwind all the way out. But the Sun was shining and it was beautiful on the edge of the Moorfoot Hills. The thing I’ve struggled with most is dry painful lips, no matter how much ‘lip therapy’ I use.
    Another 50 miles today, leaves me with 95 to go. Hopefully 45 tomorrow and 50 Monday, then I can finish off any shortfall on Tuesday.
    Today’s ride was again fuelled by a very large portion of Christmas cake 😀.

GHill

Now done 467 km. Should be a relatively easy finish tomorrow.

k1100t
    Free Member

I wasn’t planning on completing it, but I managed a 7 hour, 171km ride this morning. Damp and dank, but at least there wasn’t much wind. That puts me on 352km, so one more big effort and it’ll be done, wasn’t expecting that…

convert

Damn – with 110km to go I’m going to have to retire. Developed achilles tendonitis and it’s painful enough that I can feel it off the bike and very sore riding. Ride back in this morning (I’ve be out the house a 0500 every morning to fit riding around family commitments) was not pretty. Discretion the better form of valour and all that – I’d like January to be a big push month and thoroughly cooking my ankle now would be silly.

alwillis

37km to do today and I’m done. Probably bumble out to a farm shop for lunch as a reward. Been eating everything in sight this week, and my bike has taken a beating on the back lanes of Wiltshire, so will need some TLC in the new year.

Really chuffed with my second completion (assuming I make it!) in about 6 attempts (only previous one was 2016 as panic training for the puffer in Jan 2017).

onehundredthidiot

Not out today it blowing 40mph in the borders and there’s no ride that’s worth it that doesn’t involve getting some height, where it’s proper windy. Been doing the whole thing in the gravel bike the 42mm tyres have been a saviour on shitty roads and the gearing has helped into the wind. I know my ride tomorrow mainly road with a bit of fire road thrown in.

mrmo
    Free Member

Only 32km left after today’s clubrun. Half tempted to just take the MTB down to the FoD and do a few laps of the verderers for some variety.

crazy-legs

105km on the flatter bits of the Yorkshire Wolds leaves me with 110km to do over the next two days. Going to try and finish it off in one go tomorrow.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Just finished today with a total of 512km/318mi. My efforts have been helped by a few club runs – one of 102mi & today’s 40mi with me doing an additional 20mi to finish the Rapha 500 off. The mild weather has also helped but the wind has been a bit of a challenge at times. Now completed for the 2nd year…..

Merak

Ive got 25kms to go. Favorable weather has allowed me to get there this year. I’ve tried on several occasions in the past but the weather has always scuppered me.

I understand that this is the last time that Rapha will offer a roundel to finishers, from now on it’ll be a digital reward only.

Its a tough ask at this time of year for anyone.

Congratulations to all who’ve made it.

TiRed

One third done, two days left. Another 100 km on my standard training ride fixed on 82”. Sore legs. The #M25ride will be with gears this year I think. Being sick over Christmas certainly makes it a challenge. Despite the best weather in years!

crazy-legs

I understand that this is the last time that Rapha will offer a roundel to finishers, from now on it’ll be a digital reward only.

Doesn’t surprise me, it must cost them a fortune now.

skink2020

357k done. I’m shagged out. I hate quitting but I find the idea of staying in bed for 48hours incredibly attractive.

Merak

Doesn’t surprise me, it must cost them a fortune now.

I’d thought that they could afford it..

GHill

Done. Strong winds made that last leg a lot tougher than it should have been.

llama

Day around Trowbridge and Devizes. Quite a nice ride, bit hillier than before, dry, windy but in the right direction, sun even came out a bit. Thank god, if it had been like Friday I think we would have been divorced. Now we are up to 441 done. Knock the rest out on NYE.

neila

45km to go so looking good for my first completion. Tried a few times before but family and illness always curtailed the attempt. Anyway, not on Strava so what to do if/when I complete (I have a downloaded Brevet card and Garmin data)?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Don’t know why you lot are moaning about tired legs with rest in between rides

https://www.strava.com/activities/2965919667

Hope link works.
    323.83mi

21:54:19 (houre/mins)

12,421ft

well done everyone for getting out there and riding.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member
    TiRed

I’d thought that they could afford it..

There is no room for costly sentiment when venture capitalist are involved. It’s owned by a fund set up by Walmart

And a 500 km Audax is pedestrian. The top guys are knocking out 500km in 12 hours not 21. Not in winter, but then this weather isn’t winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘expensive clothes festive 500………. anyone having a go?’ is closed to new replies.