Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Existing bike new frame
  • jaffejoffer
    Free Member

So you have got a bike with a spec your quite happy with. You buy a new frame with same travel, wheel size etc and plan to transfer all the kit from the old bike to the new… What am I likely to have to buy new in addition to the frame? (just trying to get a total cost together) I’ve already established my reverb won’t fit, but I’m thinking BB, headset, hanger…? I don’t know much about these bits…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What are the 2 frames?
    (Disclaimer ignoring weird giant/specialized standards)
    Hanger should come with the bike and unless your very lucky your old spares will be for the old frame.

BB currently 3 main standards (?) Threaded and 2 press fit variants. On top of that the BB Shell is the other difference but most trail bikes are the same.

Headset Mostly either 1 1/8th or tapered these days so there might be a difference – noting that tapered forks don’t go into 1 1/8th frames.

Wheels – front fine, rear 135 QR/135 Bolt/142 Bolt good hubs can be converted.

After that cables, if your unlucky brake hoses.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Cheers mike. Not 100% on the new one yet but the current one is last years Stereo 160, so everything is pretty current.

ruffride
    Free Member

Bottom braket would fit most as dh bikes used 83mm most Xc enduro frame are standard sizes, all you will probes need is new inner outer gear cable sets as some frames are continuous cable out some are sections.

methers27
    Free Member

If you’re running a front mech that may cause issues depending on mounting type, I’m doing this procedure currently but forgot my old frame was direct mount front mech, can’t even get an adaptor for those

nedrapier

Ha, I did this, one steel hardtail for another, both 27.2 seatpost, 1 1/8″ steerer.

I think it was only the saddle and the rear mech which survived the move!

Old was v brake – so new rear wheel needed, may as well get a pair, and upgrade wife’s bike with decent front wheel and Reba for old Tora. So new forks. New set of brakes too, the front went with the forks. Alu handlebars were 10 years old, replaced, bar I wanted needed new stem. Old shifters were a bit baggy, replaced. Chainrings worn so went for double chainset, and derailleur to match. and old seatpost wasn’t long enough for bigger drop on the toptube.

Some of the bits made it back to the old frame (SS’d), which makes it slightly better. Just the cranks and seatpost, though, I think!

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve done this numerous times and there’s always some goofy little thing you don’t think of that holds up the build

On top of the above suggestions don’t forget to check rear brake caliper mount, you may need an adaptor.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

sound advice cheers.

ive already got an adapter on my current brake set-up and wont be running front mech.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Existing bike new frame’ is closed to new replies.