Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Exeter To La Rochelle – Any advice
  • aidenbradley
    Free Member

I am embarking on a solo road bike tour from my house in Exeter to my girlfriend’s family in La Rochelle in a couple of weeks. This will be via the Plymouth – Roscoff ferry, then cycling down through Brittany into La Rochelle. The bit from Exeter to Plymouth is sorted, I have a route in mind and despite being a bit hilly I’m sure I will be ok…
    Any recommendations for a route down through France? Google maps reckon it will be 280 miles by avoiding highways, I will be aiming to do 100 miles or so a day, on a road bike with a tent. I think all my gear is sorted and all I need to do is plan a route. I would like to stay in campsites to allow me to have a shower and settle properly, and I was thinking maybe following Roscoff to Carnac, then Carnac to Lorient, then down to La Rochelle. Has anybody had any experience of doing a similar route in the area? If so, do you have any recommendations regarding campsites or roads to take? I’m travelling quite light; the bike is a Cannondale CAAD10, tent in a carradice, sleeping bag on the bars. I’ll be putting some 32 spoke wheels on with Gatorskins, but obviously I will need to focus on decently surfaced roads, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

djflexure

No idea on the route. I have ridden the general area and road quality is fine – never had a problem.

My main nutritional tip would be try the crepe and cidre.

Enjoy.

duntstick
    Free Member

La Velodyssey

All you need to know here

I’m looking at cycling it the other way from Nice to Uk this summer

ceepers

No idea on route but the road surface on even the minor roads through the vender is really good

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Exeter To La Rochelle – Any advice’ is closed to new replies.