Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 326 total)
  • Exercise related "Over-training"… please share your knowledge and experiences.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

testosterone is a steroid

silly deadly

i dont watch the tv’s i listen to angry music, loudly. oh and i use my peripheral visionz to check out the wobbling boobies around the gym.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oops…

I stand corrected in that case.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

woffle – (I had started to type out my exercise schedule – you’d have thought I’d be a prime candidate for ‘over-training’ but it started to look ridiculous so I’m not going to bother

Do it!

Molly – I have no idea if she’s losing sleep. I’m just reading between the lines and it seems like she’s not enjoying things quite so much at the minute.

Solo – running it’s an iPod. Weights – I just enjoy them and the feeling of knackeredness and what I’m going to move onto. Swimming – not drowning/technique. Cycling – the sound of the bike.

Solo
    Free Member

that makes you shoutier

Can’t do.
    I don’t have the Abs for it 😆

What do monks think about when they are meditating?

Solo
    Free Member

Not very shouty outside telling you to do stuff though so maybe it’s not him…

Tell you something.

If someone shouted at me through some misguided attempt to motivate me.
    It would have the totally opposite effect.

I just can’t take that shouty type of encouragement seriously.

And if I were paying for a coach or trainer.
    Then shouting would definately be banned.

philconsequence
    Free Member

What do monks think about when they are meditating?

how awesome dinosaurs are.

i need music when i’m doing weights, i wait til the heaviest sections then try to keep my reps in time. there’s one chap who works at the gym who sometimes puts one of the tvs onto a teleshopping channel that shows a bra advert on repeat, that keeps me distracted whilst stretching

Solo
    Free Member

oh and i use my peripheral visionz to check out the wobbling boobies around the gym.

Phil.
    I have mates who would have me think thats the only reason they go to the gym.

I dare not lech for fear of getting caught.
    Far too higher price to pay.
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

When road riding or running I just muse on whatever is going on in my life, or just zone out.

Solo
    Free Member

there’s one chap who works at the gym who sometimes puts one of the tvs onto a teleshopping channel that shows a bra advert on repeat, that keeps me distracted whilst stretching

😯

Solo
    Free Member

I just muse on whatever is going on in my life, or just zone out

Molgrips.
    Are you a closet Monk ?.
    🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I dare not lech for fear of getting caught.

It’s when you catch someone leching over you… that’s pretty nice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ummm..

No 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i worry not about being caught, seeing as i go in the mornings its never too busy and all the girls always come over and say hi… its kinda frustrating when i’m pulling a silly face trying to bench press a mighty 10kg.

the girl personal trainer is making me feel really awkward, she’s started wearing make-ups in the mornings and spending the whole hour looking at me or sitting next to me trying to keep a conversation going whilst i look silly doing a otherworldy 15kg pectoral fly…. plus it means i miss out on my early morning loud music fix.

worse of all the first time girl personal trainer had the guts to chat to me properly was when i had mrsconsequence along with me for a spinning session…. AWKWARD!

there’s a girl who spins with me in the mornings use her as a way of getting through the difficult tracks.

EDIT –

Ummm..

Solo
    Free Member

It’s when you catch someone leching over you… that’s pretty nice

Ha !. good for you.

But you obviously haven’t had to keep that shitty stick to hand.
    Let me tell you.
    It aint easy.
    😉

Ummm..

No

Glad to hear it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

worse of all the first time girl personal trainer had the guts to chat to me properly was when i had mrsconsequence along with me for a spinning session…. AWKWARD!

And mrsconsequence says, “I thought you said she was pretty average looking Philly”

Solo
    Free Member

And mrsconsequence says, “I thought you said she was pretty average looking Philly”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Awwww… look at his happy smiling face.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

#ihavethestrangest

Solo
    Free Member

Awwww… look at his happy smiling face.

You’d look like that if you had to cycle bare foot.
    Over Pave.

EDIT:

Come on Dave.

Give us a Smile.
    😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I just tried IT band stretches. Wonder if it’ll help my knee.

Solo
    Free Member

Wine of the week: Mojitos, about 9 of them post-race

😆

Solo
    Free Member

I just tried IT band stretches. Wonder if it’ll help my knee.

What is that ^^ ?.
    🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What stretches you done Molly?

Solo
    Free Member

I just tried IT band stretches

Genuine Q.
    Is this equipment or an exercise ?.
    Vids are good, like those TRX ones.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s a stretch Solo… but there’s more than one way to stretch teh iliotibial band.

Solo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw[/video]

Ah, anatomy.

EDIT:
    stretch teh iliotibial band.

Ah, after your previous post I just googled IT band stretch.

Ta.

molgrips
    Free Member

That one.

Doesn’t seem to have done much, but you never know.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

there’s one chap who works at the gym who sometimes puts one of the tvs onto a teleshopping channel that shows a bra advert on repeat, that keeps me distracted whilst stretching

I didn’t think they encouraged that sort of stretching in the gym.. 😀

Solo
    Free Member

MolGrips.

I’m not sure if my link to that Video works.
    But the demonstrator was using a foam role for one of the movements.
    And then some floor positions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yea I don’t have a roller.

woffle
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    woffle – (I had started to type out my exercise schedule – you’d have thought I’d be a prime candidate for ‘over-training’ but it started to look ridiculous so I’m not going to bother
    Do it!

Well – for what it’s worth – today was ‘legs’. Below done with max 10 secs between reps, 30 secs between exercises. (No chatting and it’s why I pay a PT – all kit ready for next set so no excuse for grabbing an extra breather..)

If you want the detail – as below

Warmup with kettlebell swings.

3 sets of (increase weight, decrease 15/10/6 reps)
    – Deadlifts (hex bar).
    – Forward lunges with dumbbells – 2 lengths of the track (30m total).
    – Goblet squats. Backside down to touch 30cm block.

3 sets of the below – again, increase weight, decrease weights 15 / 10 / 6. Hops stay at 15 reps regardless.
    – Squat thrust with dumbbells jumping onto 60cm foot box. Squat, thrust jump up, squat, thrust jump down counts as 1 rep.
    – Jumping single-leg lunge – 20kg on bar over shoulders. Both legs counts as 1 rep.
    – 1 foot hop/jump onto 30cm foot box. Both legs counts as 1 rep.

3 sets of the below – again, increase weight, decrease weights.
    – Starting at 2 x bodyweight sled pull (forward). 2 lengths of track (30m total). 10kg increment.
    – Burpee over weighted olympic bar. On the up, close hand lift to chin (not sure what it’s called). Not sure about weight increase.
    – Jump sequence – left over 30cm block, back to centre, right over 30 cm block, back to centre. Forwards up onto 60cm block.

3 sets of the below – again, increase weight, decrease weights on medicine ball + split squats. TRX squats are 15 reps repeated.
    – 10kg Medicine ball to chest. Squat to bum on floor, ‘frog jump’ forwards pushing medicine ball in front of you. Soft landing down to squat position. Repeat 2 lengths of track (30m total).
    – Bulgarian split squats with dumbells. Up for 3, down for 1.
    – One foot squat using TRX.

And try and walk to the shower.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Good work Woffle!

I like that a lot.

woffle
    Free Member

cheers – arms and chest on Monday. I can post that if you’re interested..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep… what are you doing for the next three days though?

My itinerary…

Friday.

10k run
    20 mile ride to gym
    2k swim
    20+ mile ride home

Sat

Group ride
    Gym or run intervals

Sun

Lake swim
    Gym or bikram yoga
    Run

woffle
    Free Member

Not that awesome but I have :

Today started with 4am 6.75 mile run to station with 8.5kg pack. 2 miles at the london end. Off to gym this afternoon for spin (with simple circuit warmup and 20 mins in pool to warm down). 2.75 mile run home from station. Yoga if I have time in the pm.

Tomorrow – the week’s rest day. Will do 5 to 10 mile “farmer’s walk” with the dog at dawn ( distance determined by dog / weather / time we have to be out viewing houses ). Might do 3 sets of kettle bell swings before 30 mins of yoga in the pm.

Sunday – Gym in the morning. Short and sweet – tabata sets – front squats and thrusts. Then some core work. Spin session at 10am followed by 20 mins in the pool. Walk the dog at some point. Perhaps yoga in the pm.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Woffle – respect is due. You should hang out on these threads more often.

woffle
    Free Member

Woffle – respect is due. You should hang out on these threads more often.

Don’t have the time 🙂 – you read around fitness at all? If you’ve not read it already I’m working through Dan John’s “Never let go” on the train and I’d thoroughly recommend it; a bit of a different focus to what I’m used to (more heavy lifting) but some really interesting ideas for workouts and training generally. Easy read too.

It’s on sale at the moment – £5 for the kindle version on Amazon.

Oh and a tip for anyone wanting to try this:

– Jumping single-leg lunge – 20kg on bar over shoulders. Both legs counts as 1 rep.

You start from kneeling on one leg, the other leg back. Now jump up and lunge, swapping legs, ending back down on the other knee.

Seriously – remember to put a towel over the back of your neck and shoulders. I’ve a painful bruise the size of an apple on the top of my spine this morning from the bar hitting it. (You really need to be spotted for this too)…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at that book… always good to get more info.

Was wondering how a ‘single-leg’ lunge worked. We’ve got weighted vests at the gym which sounds ideal for that exercise.

Right, got to run…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

weighted vests at the gym

😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey, some of You exercise addicts come across as normal online 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 326 total)

The topic ‘Exercise related "Over-training"… please share your knowledge and experiences.’ is closed to new replies.