Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 326 total)
  • Exercise related "Over-training"… please share your knowledge and experiences.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers for the vid DG, if they’re TRX straps then there was a set of them hanging up next to the olympic rings so i can give that exercise a go tomorrow morning before spinning 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dirty – jack-knife would be with straight legs.. no?
    Add dumbells to you press-ups to T 🙂

Why don’t people just add beetroot to salads??

Tricky – just do some stuff for fun then! Exercise instead of train. What time is the Bath crit? Is C.Combe on tomorrow?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBrBjpOa5rc&NR=1[/video]

That’s what my body-dysmorphia allows me to think I look like. Actually I think I’m a bit leaner.

trickydisco
    Free Member

i actually eat a lot of beetroot anyway. Might try some before this race tonight. It’s at 7.10 tonight.

Castle combe is tomorrow yes. Think i need to get back into he chain gang rides… but i do have this fear that these have got faster and faster each week and my pace would have dropped off. Then again. got to get back on the horse

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hmm, a jack knife should be straight legs yes, but the youbtube video says its press up to jack knife so i used that name but its not with straight legs. Its the same as in the video ^^. I do add dumbells from time to time when doing them, ouchie! My shoulders/arms have changed shape since i started doing more press ups/pull ups/body weight exercises and ditched the weights…i’ve lost a lot of weight from that area.

Tricky, i can go faster/harder for longer when i take it. I think its used differently by the body at race pace compared to just a training session. Do something different or fun then for motivation. And def get back into the chaingangs as it doesn’t feel like training. The pace of our chaingangs has noticeably gone up each week! The Tuesday night run i do is like a race pace chaingang but thankfully they re-group at the top of the hill as i can’t climb at the speed they do! 😯

IanMunro
    Free Member

always take beetroot 4-5 days before a race (i juice about 200-500ml beets with some lemon squeezed in) It is seriously disgusting but it works.

I thought the research suggested 1-3 hours before a race as it works on elevated nitrate levels in the blood which dissipate fairly quickly.
    Could be wrong though.

mrdestructo

I found it simple to merely eat 400 less calories a day that was needed to stabilise my weight, and walk 6.5miles morning and evening @12mins a mile, 6 days a week. I was losing 3.5lbs a week and got down to where I was happy, energy levels were through the roof and I only needed to sleep 7hrs a day.

After two months of this (I had excess weight to lose, I wasn’t going to do this forever!) I started suffering tingling in my toes and fingers after I came in the door after exercising, slight pressure in my upper left arm and some breathing issues. I stopped exercising and the issue went away immediately. The doc I saw said I was overdoing it, as ECG readings said I had a strong heart. That’s over-training to me. Cycling doesn’t really get me fit as I seem to really need to overdo exercise to benefit.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant i start taking it 4-5 days before a race and daily from then til the race. There’s varies studies about it and the amount needed per day. Some i’ve read suggest that if you want to take larger doses then take 3 days before a race. I can’t drink that much of it, so i have less over a longer time period.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just did the TRX workout I posted., with some added cable stuff and assorted core work.. crikey, I feel over-trained.

philconsequence
    Free Member

those TRX things look good, jsut checked out that video….

it looks simple, but i know i’ll struggle to do any of it!

Solo
    Free Member

😯

That Vid….

😯

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Phil, get someone to show you how the TRX straps work; the straps are adjustable so for the press ups vid i posted, adjust the straps to just below knee height. Really focus on your form/what your back and abs are doing as most blokes i see using it are all over the place. The most i can do of them is 10 before i feel it in my lower back and have to stop.

For things like pull ups/lunges/jumping squats, i have them on the shortest setting. Its also worth noting that for floor based exercises, the further away you are from where the strap is attached to the wall/ceiling, the easier it is. For standing ones like pull ups, the closer to where the strap is attached is harder.

skywalker
    Free Member

This thread is hilarious

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I missed the funny part. Are you maybe pouring scorn on people talking about exercise?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s funny SkyWalker?

I’d say it’s ridiculous more than anything…

Solo
    Free Member

I had no idea tumbleweeds were so large.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still resting up…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kick your shoes off and smoke a cigar Darcy.

Solo
    Free Member

Crikey !.

Its how I’d imagine what waiting for a bus must be like.

Think that today I may subscribe to the DD exercise regime.

EDIT:

Cough !, except for the Cigar bit.
    😯

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Haven’t read all of this so this may have been covered…

A few years ago I was finding I was exercising regularly but my fitness was getting worse and worse, plus I would get a cold after every ride. I went to the Docs and was brushed off with a “there’s a bit of it going around”

Looking back now I was seriously over doing it – I would rarely rest up and would always be on the go – riding or something for a few hours at least every day. My idea of exercising was full on all the time rather than training in my HR zones. I look back now at my HR logs and see that I was constantly up at my MaxHR everytime I went out with no real aerobic training / time. In fact my idea of resting was to go trail building which would be 4-5 hours digging or clearing.

Then I’d get home and with two young kids and a stressful job it wasn’t like I’d put my feet up – but I’d say MTFU to myself!

Everything finally came crashing down when I caught a virus and rode for two days over a weekend – I spent the next 18months with PVF/CFS/ME whatever you want to call it and gave me the biggest learning experience of my life.

Looking back, I wish I’d spent more time training to build that base aerobic fitness, spent more time recovering and listened to my body rather than pushing on through it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kick your shoes off and smoke a cigar Darcy.

Oooh, it’s sunny outside, I could just pour a beer and light up a café creme bleu right now.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Here have a piece of nicotine gum. It makes your fillings hurt.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m more of a sucky sucky lozenge man myself. Oh, and pop some of those protein shots in the post will you. Thanks.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have to administer them personally. As a wise man once said to me… he couldn’t test my BF% via the post.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ssshhhh…

Modz be moddin’

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know it sucks. But we abide by the rules of this place and I think that on balance they do a great job.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Back on topic…

Bushwacked – I think that you highlight a key point (IMO) MTFU is sometimes knowing when to not train. Or to take it easy. Not just pushing yourself through sessions that you’ve planned.

The difficult balance is knowing when you’re knackered and when you’re wimping out.

Solo
    Free Member

Ssshhhh…

Modz be moddin’

philconsequence
    Free Member

whats been modded, what have i missed?

there’s an ant in my office.

Solo
    Free Member

there’s an ant in my office.

Think yourself lucky its not a Rabbit.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

whats been modded, what have i missed?

We can’t discuss modding decisions in open forum. Yeti and I have had the emails.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m going for a ride tonight, think of me x

FieldMarshall

Bushwacked,

My experiences are very similar to yours. Despite regularly exercise and a “healthy” diet my fitness just kept going down hill for many years with “flu” like symptoms after even moderate exercise. I also suffered really badly with post exercise blues.

I would ride/exercise to my max on every session. And always pay the price. But never learnt.

However, the Docs just kept saying that I had probably had a virus and that nothing was wrong. So like you (and I expect most Type A personality types) I just kept pushing on and manning up.

Was just about hanging in there until work ramped up and a new baby arrived. Then one day I totally crashed and was diagnosed with ME.

Whilst I was clearly “overtraining” (given that I had an underlying illness that I wasnt aware of), the level of exerise I was doing was nowhere near what I knew I was capable of. So kept thinking that I was just being lazy. So went out and bought a SS to make things harder for myself!!

With hindsight I should have listened to my body, backed off, put my feet up and taken it easy.

Two years on and fully recovered I still find it very easy to “overtrain” and not listen to my body (I guess thats just my personality type and my military background), but these days I dont get the flu type symptoms/blues, just really tired/heavy/fatigued legs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

think of me

I do, lots of the time anyway Philly.

Solo
    Free Member

Nah.

😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL – I just checked my e-mail attached to STW… Solo I can’t beleive you reported me 🙁

Solo
    Free Member

Solo I can’t beleive you reported me

When ?.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For implying you use emoticons a lot.

Maybe it was someone else. 😀

Solo
    Free Member

For implying you use emoticons a lot.

Maybe it was someone else.

Ah, that, then.
    Back in the late unpleasantness.

Much as I may hate to admit it.
    Nope, don’t blame anyone else.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No hard feelings… I just need to watch my P’s & Q’s or I shall be spending a long time in the box.

I was half tempted to report you at one point but couldn’t be bothered to write the complaint!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

TwoUndred. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 326 total)

The topic ‘Exercise related "Over-training"… please share your knowledge and experiences.’ is closed to new replies.