Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Excruciating pain in my lower abdomen? Well it turns out to be appendicitis!
  • bigblackshed

I was sent home from work yesterday with abdominal pain and diarrhoea, got home and called 111, paramedic attended and says it’s just an IBS flair up. GP follow up yesterday tea time, straight to A&E. the surgeon removes my “nasty appendix” at lunch time.

I’m now in a hospital bed that’s 6″ too short, pain pretty much gone, and a bit peckish. (Not allowed anything to eat until breakfast on Wednesday. That will be +48 hours since I had something to eat, and that was a bowl of granola)

Cheer me up.

matt_outandabout

Chicks dig scars. 😕

Heal quick.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I had appendicitis but it didn’t really hurt and the mild discomfort went away quite quickly.

Then I had it again same two days of feeling rubbish then it went away.

Third time it was really quite sore so I walked to the hospital where they ignored my complete immunity to morphine and cut me open to remove a great big leaky cyst.

A good long week in hospital in a ward full of old men crying at night and a complete lack of effective pain management did me in.

The nurse at the hospital was a goddess.

I have a massive scar and chicks do dig it.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Had a grumbling appendix for 4 years from 12 yrs old to 16 yrs old. The pretty nurse is the one the ‘fits’ the enemas 😯

bigyim
    Free Member

I had appendicitis for 4 months then ended up with a cyst the size of 2 fists.
    Received a telling off from the consultant.
    So it could be worse

scaredypants

I don’t get it – why did none of you post up here for advice ?

rocket
    Free Member

I was in hospital for a week a couple of weeks ago (excruiating abdominal pain turned out to be twisted bowel) and they could extend the ends of the beds out by a good 6 inches or so – worth checking.

Got a morphine button? Press it every time it lights up and the hours will fly by 🙂

I actually enjoyed letting go of everything – stepping off the merry go round of life for a while. Sleeping, reading, sleeping, netflix / iplayer (managed to cadge a wifi password), sleeping, chatting to the old codgers about their war stories, and so on.

bigblackshed

Thanks Rocket. The bed does indeed extend, but I d ont have a morphine button. I had a nasty reaction to morphine when I had my back op in March. So no happy stuff.

I’m bored senseless, on my own in a side room in isolation because of the constant need to sit on the commode. 5 channels of TV, radio, no WIFI, I finished my book on my kindle in the night and no WIFI to download another.

It’s only you lot for entertainment, or Jeremy Kyle. 🙄

willard

Ask for fentinyl (sp??) or some other awesome pain relief if it is bad, otherwise, just try not to think of the itching as your hair starts to grow back.

Get well soon. Be glad they caught it and got it out when they did. My step-father had his burst on him. That was fun.

allthepies
    Free Member

paramedics eh! 🙄

😈

tang
    Free Member

Thankfully it didn’t fully rupture like mine did! Heal up!

sharkbait
    Free Member

After doing 10 days in hospital (the first 5 without any food) when I had pancreatitis, I’d say you were lucky 😉
    Get well soon.

Stainypants

If they give you tramadol make sure you a bowl movement before you leave hospital I had pretty grim experience. Also watch out for the wound getting infected I ended up back in an iv antibiotics and the with an open wound in my side for 6 weeks

bigblackshed

All fine now, thanks chaps. Came home at 2 this afternoon. Feel a bit tender, but then I’ve had keyhole surgery and a bloke rumaging around inside my guts with telescopic tools. The surgeon said my appendix was very inflamed, and we caught it early. It was a ripe candidate for bursting.

3 big doses of IV antibiotics and I only had 3 doses of tramadol, I’m now on naproxen, it works for and suits me. The bowel movements were not a problem. I spent as much time on the commode last night as I did in bed.

Hopefully it was caught before it spread the infection, I feel so much better than I did on Monday. Fingers crossed your horror stories stay with you guys. 😉

dingabell
    Free Member

FFS DO NOT SNEEZE!!!

bigblackshed

COUGH, COUGH! OOOOOOUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Have you had that realisation that imnediately before the opp they were farting about protecting your modesty as they transferred you from a trolley then as soon as you were out cold they whipped the covers off and shaved you intimately?

Lifer
    Free Member

I thought I had appendicitis once, but it turns out that eating a whole box of Kellogg’s Start on the last night of a festival produces the same symptoms.

ninfan
    Free Member

Also watch out for the wound getting infected I ended up back in an iv antibiotics and the with an open wound in my side for 6 weeks

I had that too – that feels hot and tender thinks I, later that night, whoosh as a horrific amount of straw coloured fluid flows down my leg 😯

chewkw
    Free Member

bigblackshed – Member

All fine now, thanks chaps. Came home at 2 this afternoon. Feel a bit tender, but then I’ve had keyhole surgery and a bloke rumaging around inside my guts with telescopic tools.

Does keyhole surgery mean faster recovery?

How many holes do they have to poke into your body for keyhole surgery instrument?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Less muscle cut = faster recovery
    For a [my] gall bladder removal it was 2 x small holes (gas) and 2 x 2cm cuts (tools).
    May be different for appendix

bigblackshed

Three holes. One in the belly button, one about 2″ straight down, then one midway between about 3″ to the left.

Have you had that realisation that imnediately before the opp they were farting about protecting your modesty as they transferred you from a trolley then as soon as you were out cold they whipped the covers off and shaved you intimately?

TBH I couldn’t of cared less. Pain and my dignity goes out of the window. They only shaved my belly, well, clippered. Some impressive bruises are coming up, so I’ve got a multi-coloured, stubbly, rotund belly. My jeans that were about an inch loose on Monday were open by two buttons today and still a firm fit.

The noises my guts are making having had a few small meals today is impressive. Gurgle, bubble, uurrrp…….

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Mine ruptured two years ago. I also have IBS and my GP reached the same conclusion as yours. Next day I was in A&E because the pain was too much. No keyhole because it was in such a bad condition so I’ve got a nice scar now. Surgeon said it’s one of the worst he’s seen. Good news is that I healed fast, didn’t get any infection afterwards and was back on the bike after about six weeks.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Excruciating pain in my lower abdomen? Well it turns out to be appendicitis!’ is closed to new replies.