Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Excel question
  • monsta
    Free Member

Hi,

As a starting point (irrelevant of the fact I won’t get a value, because I’ll apply the principal once I’ve got it working), my spreadsheet contains a cell with the function ‘=sum(a2*a1)’.

If I add a new row, the function isn’t carried over. How do I ensure it is, and how do I ensure it only iterates the first value e.g. ‘=sum(a2*a1)’ becomes ‘=sum(a3*a1)’ ?

Cheers,

ijs445ra
    Free Member

try =sum(a3*$a$1)

ebygomm
    Free Member

Just ‘drag’ the formula down, if you use the $ sign in front that cell reference is fixed.

e.g.

if the formula in row 2 is

=sum(a2*$a$1)

and you drag the formula down to row 3 it becomes
    =sum(a3*$a$1)

monsta
    Free Member

>> try =sum(a3*$a$1)

That worked. I didn’t know about the $ feature. Cheers.

Stu_N

Not sure what you’re trying to achieve.

If you’re trying to add up a block of cells the function is

=SUM(A1:A2)

If you then add a row between 1 and 2, the function should update to SUM(A1:A3).

If you want to sum a set of numbers up to a given row, use =SUM($A$1:A2) then paste or fill into cells. The $ makes it a fixed reference; default is a relative reference to the position of the cell in the formula.

In cell B1
    – if you use $A1 it tells Excel to pull the number from Column A in the row above
    – if you use A$1 it will pull the number in row one from whatever column you put the reference into
    – if you use $A$1 it will always return the value for cell A1

You can use =SUM($A$1:A2) in, say B2 and then it will fill into B3 as SUM($A$1:A3), int B4 as ($A$1:A4) etc
    – if you put

WackoAK
    Free Member

Pressing F4 “locks” the cell ie puts the “$”

monsta
    Free Member

Next question:

If I add a row, the function from the previous cell isn’t automatically copied into the next cell. I’d have to copy and paste the function. Is this the case or can I set excel to automatically copy the function across? Note that I dragging isn’t an option – this has to be as user friendly as possible…

Stoner
    Free Member

When you say “adding a row” are your simpleton users literally inserting a row in the sheet or are they just typing in the cells in the next row down below the current last one?

monsta
    Free Member

My simpleton users are inserting a new row. You see, I’m introducing the concept of a ‘spreadsheet’ into the office so it’s all pretty exciting for them.

Stoner
    Free Member

Does the row have to be at the bottom or can it be at the top?

monsta
    Free Member

I might have to email you the spreadsheet 🙂

Ok, the new lines would be at the bottom.

Stoner
    Free Member

monsta – do that, i’ll look at it later. away from my desk at the moment

geoffj

google relative and fixed cell address in excel for an explanation of what $ does.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Excel question’ is closed to new replies.