Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Evoc Bike Travel Bag on Ryanair?
  • paulx
    Free Member

Looking at flying my bike to France this weekend – Ryanair from East Midlands – LaRochelle.

I can hire an Evoc Bike Travel Bag from my LBS for £30 for the week so that should keep it one piece however on the Ryanair site is says …

“For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.”

No problem with the weight even though the bag alone weighs a whopping 8.6 kilos but the dimensions on the bag are 135 cm x 80 cm x 38 cm.

Anyone flown with one and had/not had a problem with Ryanair?

Cheers

jam-bo

Go for it, Ryanair are renowned for bending the rules in the passengers favour…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know of at least one person who got one of those mahoosive canyon bike boxes on Ryan air (Germany to Spain and back). They must be 2m long at least.

Although what Jam Bo said, they copuld quite possibly be arsey about it if they can get some money out of you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check for sport luggage/oversized sections in the T&C’s. Oversize will probably cost them (you) more.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s your trigonometry like? Could you fit a 135 x 38 footprint into a 119 x 119 square? I think you could.

sheffield43
    Free Member

No one measured our bike bags, one of which was over the maximum length dimension, when we flew Ryanair in September from Manchester. I knew we were over but we just went for it as most bike bags are longer than 119cms. Weirdly though the bag that complied with the Ryanair dimensions wouldn’t fit on the airport’s special, large baggage X-ray machine essentially because it was too tall so we had to take it by hand through normal security to the aircraft where it was chucked on last minute.

twohats
    Free Member

Flown loads of times with them with which now transpires is a bag over their dimensions!
    Never had an issue so far, in fact because its booked oversize baggage, they never give it a second glance.

paulx
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies – I’m gonna go for it and plead for mercy if they try to hustle me!

Off to the in-laws for the week and the bike if for sanity so its worth it.

pymwymis
    Free Member

Onzadog – you are a lateral thinking genius.

By my reckoning its 168 (and a bit). No problem fitting that bike in. I’d pay to see the argument with the Ryanair jobsworth though – worth more than the plane ticket to see the cogs slowly grinding to the horrible realisation that no money will be forthcoming.

I once got sent to the back of the queue in Granada with Ryan air. I was 1 kg over on my luggage and they wouldnt give us the 30 seconds to shift a couple of items into hand luggage – we wasted 5 minutes arguing with them after everyone in the queue confirmed they had no problem.

The git at check in wasn’t moving. Went ot the back rearranged my gear, walked to an empty check in desk and weighed everything. Then it dawned on everyone else and they too wandered over to the vacant sets of scales……….at which point the officious snivelling little git turned off every set of scales. I have never seen such a petty act in my life !

Go on PaulX give ’em hell with your fancy maths !

Rant over.

nickjb
    Free Member

Could you fit a 135 x 38 footprint into a 119 x 119 square? I think you could.

It’d need rounded corners

EDIT Bigger than 4.02cm rads an all corners and it’ll fit

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nice work nickjb. The evoc actually tapers at one end so I’m sure it would work.

mrmojo
    Free Member

I hsve flown many times with Ryanair taking my bike. No one has ever measured or weighed my bike only thing they ask is ,, are the tyres defalted and are the handle bars turned.

paulx
    Free Member

Nice work nickjb. The evoc actually tapers at one end so I’m sure it would work.

I’ill take a print of these posts with me with so I can argue my case if need be 🙂

paulx
    Free Member

Update … Evoc bike bag on Ryanair = no problem as long as under 30kg. I was at 29.5kg with my riding kit, tools and a 21″ Trek Rumblefish in the bag.

Evoc bike bag in back of rental Ford Fiesta with one rear seat passenger – tight but will go in… eventually.

Worked out very well as I got to the in-laws to find that their village was hosting a 77km VTT (Vélo tout terrain) MTB cross country event the following day. Despite being a bit rubbish at French I entered, and now have knowledge of loads of tracks and trails in the area.

I’m actually looking forward to going to the in-laws next time!

mugsys_m8

Nice one. The traditional VTT Rando events all the towns and villages put on are great aren’t they.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Evoc Bike Travel Bag on Ryanair?’ is closed to new replies.