Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Everybody’s high on consolation…… Who’s gone?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I rarely lurk at work anymore, the time I came out of a meeting to my PC blareing out “your PC has a virus” “your PC has won a prize” and 23 other popups means i close the tab when away from my computer and if its not there I tend not to bother reading it.

bob_summers

Brexit thread’s dropped out of the first few pages as I type, what’s not to like?

giantonagiant

Always been a lurker more than a poster, but posted for the first time in two years last night and got some helpful replies. There’s still a great pool of knowledge here, but it’s deffo changed in the last few years.

Not sure what has caused folks to move on….boredom?!

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure what has caused folks to move on….boredom?!

surely you aint serious!?!

bikebouy
    Free Member

TBH I’m surprised if some Bans haven’t been handed out…

Over the period of upgrade there were some pretty “excited” and vocal individuals, and the Mods (bless em’) were very tolerant IMO.

Give it a while, wouldn’t be surprised if they return a little tamer for a week or so.

prawny

I’m not lurking as much as normal at the moment, mainly because I’ve started drumming again so I’ve been looking at drum stuff I can’t afford, rather than bike stuff I can’t afford.

I’ve still not been on my MTB this year, other than an aborted attempt at a ride a month or so ago. Going to try and get out this weekend though.

Getting a bit hacked off with my commute too, not helped by the fact my rear hub is on the way out, and I’d rather spend the money to fix it on a new snare drum.

tjagain

junkjyard got a life ban for argueing IIRC

v8ninety

If that’s true, it’s a real shame. He IS an argumentative so and so, but he’s always got a point and his arguments are usually well thought out (spelling not so much, but meh 😉)

I always valued and enjoyed his contributions; this place would be a little poorer without him.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm. yeah, I could tolerate him much more than some others…

vinnyeh

What, another one?

Harry_the_Spider

JY banned for life? I hope not (but I don’t choose to argue with him).

fasthaggis

If that’s true, it’s a real shame. He IS an argumentative so and so, but he’s always got a point and his arguments are usually well thought out

Aye,he took a bit of getting used to,but did seem to care about what he posted (unlike some of the other muppets that get let back in) .

Trimix
    Free Member

Seems much more quiet. Fewer posters.

Do they go somewhere else for their forum fix, or do they just kick the habit ?

SaxonRider

Seems much more quiet. Fewer posters.

I know that for me, personally, I always post in fits and starts.

I can go days where I hardly even look at the forum, and then have a burst of energy that sees me start a series of the most remarkable, creative, and interesting posts ever. [/irony]

I also post more when depressed.

Ultimately, though, I’m almost always around. Lurking…

matt_outandabout

Brexit thread’s dropped out of the first few pages as I type, what’s not to like?

The cheese-eating surrender-monkeys, apart from when an alpine holiday is needed (natch)…

(and 😉 in case you don’t get it)

funkmasterp

Didn’t know JY had been banned again. He was argumentative, but never crossed a line as far as I could tell and always came across as decent.Then again there are some professionally offended types about. Speaking of which, charliemungus hasn’t posted in a while. Quite liked him despite the being perpetually offended by something.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Still here ‘coz Mumsnet banned me.

I offered someone a go up the Oxo Tower….

Miss Hora and his “what frame/fork for today’s ride ” threads

jimjam
    Free Member

funkmasterp

Didn’t know JY had been banned again. He was argumentative, but never crossed a line as far as I could tell and always came across as decent.Then again there are some professionally offended types about.

If your idea of decent is trawling threads and viciously attacking anyone who shows any sign of disagreeing with you on something political or religious, ascribing the worst possible meaning to their post, insinuate that they are a racist, a xenophobe, a nazi, homophobe etc  fully aware of the potential damage such allegations carry yet doing so with impunity, all the while dropping hints about how much empathy, charity and understanding you have for all the children of the world because you’re a rabid marxist…yeah really really decent.

The worst thing is that he’s allowed to act that way with full approval of the mods.

funkmasterp

^^ That night explain things a bit. I avoid the political threads like the plague and always try and derail religious threads whilst paying little attention to the serious posts. Looks like he might have upset you slightly at some point though.

Klunk
    Free Member

wonder if that had anything to do with him being upset that a mod outed him for reporting some one else ? if so it’s a sad state of affairs

yunki
    Free Member

trawling threads and viciously attacking anyone who shows any sign of disagreeing with you on something political or religious, ascribing the worst possible meaning to their post

I think most people would argue that Junkyard was just confronting vacuous, reactionary far-right dogma when he encountered it.

they are a racist, a xenophobe, a nazi, homophobe etc  fully aware of the potential damage such allegations carry yet doing so with impunity

What? Like damaging your anonymous, imaginary, forum persona’s reputation? Do you think perhaps that you might be starting to take yourself a little bit too seriously?

I did notice that Junkyard had been posting some opinions recently that were diametrically opposed to his usual political stance – maybe his log-in has been hi-jacked?

amedias
    Free Member

amedias has returned to Cycling UK

I haven’t so much flounced as just let my ‘P’ expire and wandered off*….

I’ve been poking my head back in occasionally and not finding much going on…which is kind of why I wandered off. If things liven up again I might be back more regularly.

Been using other forums CUK/YACF/BF etc. a bit more but with a few exceptions most threads are still just a bunch of people talking nonsense about bikes and bickering wherever you go 😀

*I am kinda surprised anyone noticed, I didn’t think my forum presence was anything more than ‘occasional contributor’ level.

jimjam
    Free Member

trawling threads and viciously attacking anyone who shows any sign of disagreeing with you on something political or religious, ascribing the worst possible meaning to their post

I think most people would argue that Junkyard was just confronting vacuous, reactionary far-right dogma when he encountered it.

I’m not surprised you think that, and in this echo chamber, you’ll find you’re not alone. It doesn’t change my mind, nor does it change the way he goes about posting.

What? Like damaging your anonymous, imaginary, forum persona’s reputation? Do you think perhaps that you might be starting to take yourself a little bit too seriously?

It would be laughably simple for anyone who wanted to find out my real name based on what I posted on here. From there they could deduce where I live, who I work for, where my children go to school etc. How do you think my employer would react to a “scandalous” situation emerging that they had, in their midst, a racist? For you to understand, how would you like it if I start insinuating that you’re a pedophile? Shall we see how that goes? There’s no need for you to worry about me calling you a pedo unless you’re taking your anonymous imaginary forum persona too seriously after all. In one of my last dealings with Junkyard he countered one of my statements with something like “you would say that since you spread radical right wing ideologies”. It was of course, utterly baseless shit slingling, the kind he’s fond of and when challenged he had no reply, but it’s typical of his interactions, and many others like him on this forum. What is “radical right wing” a synonym for? Care to answer?

fifo
    Free Member

How do you think my employer would react to a “scandalous” situation emerging that they had, in their midst, a racist?

As a general rule, not being racist means I rarely (if ever) get accused of xenophobia or racism. HTH.

yunki
    Free Member

“The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.”
    – Socrates

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I never knew Socrates knew any HTML

yunki
    Free Member

a man ahead of his time 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

fifo

How do you think my employer would react to a “scandalous” situation emerging that they had, in their midst, a racist?

As a general rule, not being racist means I rarely (if ever) get accused of xenophobia or racism. HTH.

Ah, so there’s no smoke without fire right? If a demented forum troll who wants to “win” every encounter with anyone who he (wrongly) perceives as being his political enemy says you’re a racist you’re a racist. Let me illustrate just how low the bar is for racism on STW – If you voted leave in the Brexit referendum, you’re probably a racist. Racism was the subtext for every voter who wanted to leave, even if they won’t admit it.

I’ve seen this, and every conceivable flavour and variation of this statement repeated ad nauseum and unchallenged on here. One poster went out of his way to conflate leave voters with actual nazis, I took him to task, alone, with virtually no one else objecting to his characterisation.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s his opinion, you seem quite bitter about him having one.

fifo
    Free Member

Some bloke less brainy than Socrates also made a quip along the lines of “thou doth protest too much” and more recent iterations about headgear fitting.

In the context of Brexit, perhaps racist is a bit strong. However, xenophobia certainly fits the definition: fear of others. That, in one form or another was a huge driver of the leave vote. Jingoism was another. Together maybe they do venture towards racism, actually.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

However, xenophobia certainly fits the definition: fear of others. That, in one form or another was a huge driver of the leave vote.

I am not even sur that is true for a lot of cases…

noun: xenophobia

1. dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

more a realisation that this country isn’t well prepared with resources for the levels of immigration that are happening, so wishing to exert some control over it, more than a particular dislike of people from other countries.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I agree with jimjams assessment of this place, and Junkyard 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

naturally 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Let me illustrate just how low the bar is for racism on STW – If you voted leave in the Brexit referendum, you’re probably a racist. Racism was the subtext for every voter who wanted to leave, even if they won’t admit it.

Thats such bollocks – if you’re attributing that view to STW remainers, then you’re talking out of your hole. It’s an accusation you’ve made many times in your many tirades about STW. I don’t really know why you come here to post if the site makes you as dementedly angry as you sound sometimes.

I took him to task

Actually, on the other hand, keep coming back. We need heroes here like never before.

fifo
    Free Member

more a realisation that this country isn’t well prepared with resources for the levels of immigration that are happening, so wishing to exert some control over it, more than a particular dislike of people from other countries.

So a fear of immigrants automatically being a negative drain, rather than a positive addition, coupled with a wilful misinterpretation of “control of our borders”. Yup, seems to be grounded in xenophobia, no matter how subconscious.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So a fear of immigrants automatically being a negative drain, rather than a positive addition, coupled with a wilful misinterpretation of “control of our borders”. Yup, seems to be grounded in xenophobia, no matter how subconscious.

An influx of people from anywhere, putting pressure on jobs and resources in your area, would produce the same effect, it doesn’t have to be immigration.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Thats such bollocks – if you’re attributing that view to STW remainers, then you’re talking out of your hole.

it isn’t. that is the overridding ‘flavour’ of remainers argument in this forum, and many other places.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Two pages and it’s gone to shit.

It’s almost like the good old days.

jimjam
    Free Member

deadlydarcy

Thats such bollocks – if you’re attributing that view to STW remainers, then you’re talking out of your hole.

Talking out my hole am I? To make it worth my while searching, how about you agree give me a euro (via paypal) for every time I find a post that describes leave voters using either racism, racist, xenophobe or biggot? If I’m talking out my hole you have nothing to lose.

Put your money where your mouth is or shut your hole.

Trimix
    Free Member

So, was it arguing over Brexit then that caused people to give up on the forum ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Everybody’s high on consolation…… Who’s gone?’ is closed to new replies.