Home Forums Chat Forum Every gadget with a battery is a bomb?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 215 total)
  • Every gadget with a battery is a bomb?
  • ernielynch

It’s likely a prelude to an Israeli ground invasion of Lebanon

You would have thought but all the evidence so far suggests that it isn’t.

mrbadger
    Free Member

He’s just posted this. Yet more hilarity. Those zionists eh? They do like a laugh

Is he based in the uk? If so that post is straying into hate speech territory…

ernielynch

Seems like Israel’s final solution to the Palestinian ‘problem’ was already very well planned.

Honestly it isn’t, that is the whole reason why Israel is in total chaos in dealing with the worst crisis it has ever faced.

It is a deeply polarised and divided society which cannot agree on the extraordinarily limited options they have in front of them.

Israel is losing its “war” Gaza, it is not defeating Hamas in any significant way and it is costing them massively economically, militarily, and politically, plus it is increasingly isolating them internationally.

A ground invasion of Lebanon would be suicidal, if it can’t defeat Hamas it has considerably less chance of defeating Hezbollah, and all out war with Iran would quickly bring the collapse of Israel.

Yes Israel has access to the most advanced weaponry in the world and it can destroy a lot and kill a lot but it is a tiny country with a small population, a small land mass, and little resources, it simply cannot sustain a long intense war, like Iran could, it can’t sustain its war in Gaza. There is a reason why the 6 Day War was so successful……it only lasted 6 days. Those are the sort of wars that Israel can fight.

But perhaps the fact that expanding the war to Iran and Hezbollah would be suicidal for Israel is precisely why Netanyahu appears to be determined to go for that option. The situation with the Palestinians is not sustainable, they are growing every stronger and more determined, Oct 7th proved that, and the support they are recieving internationally ever greater. They are in a stronger position now in 2024 than they were in 1948.

Israeli society is falling apart and it looks as if the game’s up for the zionist experiment. Attack Iran and Hezbollah and things will deteriorate rapidly, and this is the gamble…… would the United States allow Israel to collapse with all the consequences of how much it would strengthen those in the region who don’t care about vital US interests, such as Iran?

Perceived wisdom says no, the United States would never allow Israel to collapse so this would force the US and its allies into a full-scale war in the region which would, if it goes to plan, destroy Israel’s enemies in the region thereby securing Israel’s existence. It’s obviously a huge gamble but frankly Israel doesn’t have a lot of options, the current situation is not sustainable.

thols2

This is only really different in that it uses a non-ballistic device and the explosive power of each device is much smaller. But it seems to have wrong footed the international community a fair bit, many of them seem unsure how to respond/comment on pager attacks despite it still being a clear escalatory action.

An important difference is that there is no smoking gun showing that Israel did it. It’s widely believed that Israel did it but they haven’t acknowledged that and nobody can prove that they did. The people who might be able to prove that Israel did it are the security and intelligence agencies of other countries, but they all utterly loathe Hezbollah too so they will be quite happy to not help out on this one.

TheFlyingOx

Israeli society is falling apart

It really, really, really isn’t. Source – I’m here at the moment.

ernielynch

Eh?  No smoking gun? The smoking gun is that Hezbollah was targeted. Israel not claiming responsibility is how they have always dealt with issues like that.

No one has any doubt at all that Israel is responsible. If they weren’t they would be denying it.

poly
    Free Member

But it seems to have wrong footed the international community a fair bit, many of them seem unsure how to respond/comment on pager attacks despite it still being a clear escalatory action.

I imagine many of them are frantically checking where their own handheld electronics come from and how good the supply chain and security vetting is as well as wondering if they could pull off the same move if they needed to.

ernielynch

Israeli society is falling apart

It really, really, really isn’t. Source – I’m here at the momen.

Well you are hardly going to hear anything other than a positive spin from the government and its agencies.

My many sources include Maj. Gen. Yitzhak Brik, a commited zionist and former IDF ombudsman.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My view as well. Of all the people to understand the horrors that entails, defies belief.

Whoa, do you realise how anti-semitic that is? You’re not allowed to point out hypocrisy.

branes
    Free Member

Pagers traditionally dont use rechargeable cells, but use AA cells.

There is an N cell available, same diameter as AA but half the length…….giving space for an explosive material.

Seems quite likely – it would be much easier to switch AAs than gut each pager however deep you are into the supply chain. Likewise the same AAs could possibly go in walkie talkies too. Not sure how would you detonate them though?

ernielynch

Not sure how would you detonate them though?

Isn’t the suggestion that an extra circuit was included at the production level?

TheFlyingOx

Well you are hardly going to hear anything other than a positive spin from the government and its agencies.

My source is being in Israel and walking about, seeing people buying cars and eating in restaurants and dancing in nightclubs and going to work and demonstrating en masse against Netanyahu and his government. You know, things that happen in a functional not-falling-apart society.

ossify

According to reports they were very hard to detect… swapping out the battery for a half size one plus a lump of explosive doesn’t seem very stealthy.

doomanic

If that’s what happened I would expect the half battery/explosive combo to look and perform like a normal battery.

ernielynch

My source is being in Israel and walking about

With respect I think I will trust the assessment of the situation provided by Maj. Gen. Yitzhak Brik former head of Military Colleges and IDF ombudsman rather more than yours.

Even though he paints a picture even more dire than I had imagined – he is expecting Israel to collapse some time next year, which sounds extraordinary.

Btw I suspect that Yitzhak Brik is also walking about.

doomanic

Btw I suspect that Yitzhak Brik has his own agenda….

Possibly.

thols2

it would be much easier to switch AAs than gut each pager

Apparently, that model pager has a lithium battery, not AAA cells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Apollo_AR924

According to reports they were very hard to detect… swapping out the battery for a half size one plus a lump of explosive doesn’t seem very stealthy.

Reports are that each pager had about 3 grams of explosive, so probably quite easy to disguise within the case. There’s no confirmation of where the tampering was done. The obvious way to do it would be to buy a bunch of the same model, fit the explosives and program the malware somewhere secure where you have plenty of time to work, repackage them, then swap the shipment somewhere between the factory and final destination. Warehouse staff, delivery drivers, etc. can be bribed, or your own agents get jobs working in the supply chain.

ernielynch

Yitzhak Brik has his own agenda….

Possibly.

Possibly ? No absolutely  Yitzhak Brik has his own agenda. The preservation of the Israeli state. He is a commited zionist.

Netanyahu is destroying Israel. October 7th 2023 was Israel’s greatest crises, the very last thing Israel needed was for Netanyahu and his far-right government to take it to where they have taken it.

TheFlyingOx

With respect I think I will trust the assessment of the situation provided by Maj. Gen. Yitzhak Brik former head of Military Colleges and IDF ombudsman rather more than yours.

Well, I mean obviously. If you accepted mine then you’d probably have to rethink all the “end of the Zionist experiment is near, Israel is eating itself” nonsense.

DrJ

My source is being in Israel and walking about, seeing people buying cars and eating in restaurants and dancing in nightclubs and going to work and demonstrating en masse against Netanyahu and his government.

Ii’m sure you’re correct and things are as normal. Killing Arabs. Voting for a fascist government. Applauding genocide. Everything you expect from a depraved degenerate society built on oppression.

But I’m sure another UN resolution will bring them to their knees.

ernielynch

If you accepted mine

Yours is based on walking around and seeing people buying cars and eating in restaurants, which I have to admit isn’t very convincing.

How about Netanyahu declaring Hamas defeated? That would be a tad more convincing.

doomanic

DrJ, Did you miss the bit about demonstrating against the government or just wilfully ignore it?

MoreCashThanDash

Ii’m sure you’re correct and things are as normal. Killing Arabs. Voting for a fascist government. Applauding genocide. Everything you expect from a depraved degenerate society built on oppression

That’s the same argument that says all British people voted for Brexit, and pretty insulting to the very large number of Israelis who have never voted for any of this horror.

It’s the kind of casual generalisation that leads to the persecution of a “group” and precisely the sort of talk that leads to this kind of nightmare.

TheFlyingOx

I don’t recall describing any of that DrJ. You seem keen on tarring an entire population with one brush on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. That’s not very cash money of you.

doomanic

Can you imagine the pile-on if a similar statement was made about Muslims?

DrJ

I don’t recall describing any of that DrJ. You seem keen on tarring an entire population with one brush on the basis of no evidence whatsoever

Evidence of elections. Israel is a democracy, I keep hearing.

blokeuptheroad

Evidence of elections. Israel is a democracy, I keep hearing.

When Liz the lettuce was PM in UK did her views and policies reflect yours? Boris?

DrJ

Can you imagine the pile-on if a similar statement was made about Muslims

Saddam was a Muslim. ISIS are Muslims. Etc etc . I don’t remember anyone getting their tights in a tangle when they were criticised?

ernielynch

You asked for my sources so here is one, it was published by the Israeli newspaper Haatetz and is a bit more of an in-depth assessment than yours based on what appears to be shopping trips,  but well worth reading:

Most of the pretentious declarations made by Defense Minister Yoav Gallant throughout the war in Gaza have proven to be groundless.

After the occupation of Gaza City, he said that Israel was in total control of the city and its tunnels, and within a short time, Hamas would surrender. After the occupation of Khan Yunis, he claimed that Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar was running in the tunnels by himself and had lost control of his men, and within a few days he would be caught.

With these pronouncements, Gallant, along with his colleagues IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, has been throwing dust in the eyes of the Israeli public.

Recently, it appears that Gallant has begun to sober up, when in the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense committee he declared that the concept of total victory in Gaza “is nonsense.”

And it seems that he has begun to realize that failing to reach a hostage deal with Hamas would lead to a regional war that would put Israel in serious danger.

This realization prompted him to call for a discussion, in the government or security cabinet, intending to warn everyone involved. The apparent goal of the discussion is to ensure that responsibility rests not only on him, but is shared by all the government ministers.

I assume that Defense Minister Gallant already understands that the war has lost its purpose. Israel is sinking deeper into the Gazan mud, losing more and more soldiers as they get killed or wounded, without any chance of achieving the war’s main goal: bringing down Hamas.

The country really is galloping towards the edge of an abyss. If the war of attrition against Hamas and Hezbollah continues, Israel will collapse within no more than a year.

Terror attacks are intensifying in the West Bank and inside the country, the reservist army is voting with its feet following recurring mobilizations of combat soldiers, and the economy is crashing. Israel has also become a pariah state, prompting economic boycotts and an embargo on arms shipments.

We are also losing our social resilience, as the growing hatred between different parts of the nation threatens to ignite and bring to its destruction from within.

Sinwar and Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah understand Israel’s dire situation. What Israel could have achieved earlier with a hostage/cease-fire agreement has become impossible due to the new conditions that Netanyahu introduced into the proposed deal. Those involved in the negotiations in Doha claim that they have no maneuvering space to negotiate because their hands are tied.

In light of the new situation, a threat by Iran and Hezbollah to attack Israel in response to the killing of the two senior officials is materializing in the region. The use of assassinations is a step threatening to ignite the entire Middle East, decided upon by the three pyromaniacs, Netanyahu, Gallant and Chief of Staff Halevi, without thinking about the significance of their irresponsible decisions.

Sinwar has begun to understand that the war of attrition is working to his benefit, not to mention a multi-arena regional war. That’s why he now prefers a continuation of the fighting to a deal, and is toughening his positions. If Netanyahu hadn’t already put spokes in the negotiation team’s wheels throughout the war, Israel could already have achieved a hostage deal before Sinwar toughened his stance

Netanyahu’s recent announcement to the families of hostages about the need to preserve “security assets” in Gaza – a blatant lie – has effectively torpedoed the deal, leading to a catastrophe not only for the hostages and their families but also for the entire country.

All of the paths chosen by Israel’s political and military leadership are leading the country down a slippery slope. One dictator controls the fate of the country, and a flock of sheep follows him blindly. Netanyahu decided to “die with the Philistines” – in this case, the citizens of Israel – only to retain his power.

He has lost his humanity, basic morality, norms, values, and responsibility for Israel’s security. Only replacing him and his cronies as soon as possible can save the country. Israel has entered an existential tailspin and could soon reach a point of no return.

After 2,000 years of exile, we returned and established a glorious country. We paid a high price in tens of thousands of dead and wounded. And now the country is disintegrating in our hands through the fault of Netanyahu, Gallant, Halevi, and their pawns. It’s still possible to do something before it’s too late.

ossify

Saddam was a Muslim. ISIS are Muslims. Etc etc . I don’t remember anyone getting their tights in a tangle when they were criticised?

By “they” I assume you mean the entire population of Iraq or Syria? To keep the comparison.

DrJ

When Liz the lettuce was PM in UK did her views and policies reflect yours? Borris?

Liz Truss was not elected by the people. Boris was once and was turfed out due to corruption. He wasn’t elected over and over.

A better comparison is Tony Blair, the only PM to have led the UK into a dirty war comparable to Gaza. He resigned in disgrace.

DrJ

By “they” I assume you mean the entire population of Iraq or Syria? To keep the comparison.

Well, Iraq was not a democracy so the comparison is hard to make. The entire membership of ISIS, sure.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Liz Truss was not elected by the people. Boris was once and was turfed out due to corruption. He wasn’t elected over and over.

The levels of mental gymnastics involved in keeping the belief alive should be studied.

blokeuptheroad

A better comparison is Tony Blair, the only PM to have led the UK into a dirty war comparable to Gaza. He resigned in disgrace.

Nice edit. OK then, did his views and decision to fight an illegal war reflect the wishes of everyone in the UK, including (I assume) you?

Because that’s what you seem to be claiming. That because Netanyahu was elected, every single Israeli supports his policies and is therefore guilty by association of the same war and humanitarian crimes?

DrJ

Because that’s what you seem to be claiming. That because Netanyahu was elected, every single Israeli supports his policies and is therefore guilty of the same war and humanitarian crimes?

Obviously not. But a free democratic vote reflects the will of the majority. And if the majority keep making the same choice over and over again then you’re entitled to conclude that it’s a dominant proportion of society that holds that view.

TheFlyingOx

Wall of text….

…If Netanyahu hadn’t already put spokes in the negotiation team’s wheels throughout the war, Israel could already have achieved a hostage deal before Sinwar toughened his stance

…wall of text…

That nicely glosses over that earlier in the war Hamas was loudly proclaiming they’d use any ceasefire to re-arm and attack again. And despite that there was a ceasefire in November last year, one which Hamas broke by firing rockets into Sderot.

blokeuptheroad

Well, Iraq was not a democracy so the comparison is hard to make. The entire membership of ISIS, sure.

ISIS was a democracy? Who knew?

DrJ

DrJ, Did you miss the bit about demonstrating against the government or just wilfully ignore it?

Well I thought I’d ignore it, since Ox ignored this demonstration:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna164213

and it seemed to me that the most effective demonstration is the one you have at the ballot box.

ernielynch

That because Netanyahu was elected, every single Israeli supports his policies

Israel is an extremely divided society and Netanyahu faces massive opposition from both left and right, as my above piece from Haatetz shows. Huge schisms were forming in Israeli society even before Oct 7 last year.

Ironically despite recent demonstrations what has united Israelis the most in the last year is the so-called war in Gaza.

Gen.Yitzhak Brik’s opinions certainly represents a minority point of view. Although something like 25% of Israelis say they would now leave Israel if they could.

Edit: A link to my favourite Israeli newspaper:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-07-17/ty-article/.premium/one-in-four-israeli-jews-would-leave-israel-if-they-could-new-survey-finds/00000190-c202-d3e0-a5fd-ebb7ad1e0000

Despite Flyingox’s claims, based on walking around, that everything is hunky dory with Israeli society apparently a quarter of Israelis would get out of the country if they could.

DrJ

ISIS was a democracy? Who knew?

Logic fail. Try again.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 215 total)

The topic ‘Every gadget with a battery is a bomb?’ is closed to new replies.