• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • European Family Holiday (inc bike) – ideas sought
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Looking for some ideas and inspiration for a family holiday in Europe this summer. One suitably located near some great biking so I can get out and about. Either on my own using guided trails or to join a guided group or hire a guide.

Historically my other half has been away with her family which allows me to go on biking holidays (MBMB, Bike Verbier). Our daughter arrived last October so a week or fortnight away biking isn’t going to happen this year.

At present all I can think of is Finale Ligura, Italy or Menton, France. Both are close to the coast, near airports and the Maritime Alps. Although unsure if there’s enough there to entertain and occupy us when I’m not riding.

Where else should I be looking? What have others in a similar position opted for?

Cheers

geoffj

Aviemore

BillOddie

Not in term time I assume? 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

I was thinking along the same lines as we have a 8 month old. I got as far as looking at this website and doing a day or two of guided riding around Sospel. I haven’t been with Ash before nor do I know the guy so can’t vouch for the quality of riding/guiding but it looks great from the vid. That area of france should be quite good for a general holiday as well.

http://www.trans-provence.com/sospel.shtml

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking Gotama. Where are you staying with your family? Sospel or further afield and travelling there for the riding?

limkilde
    Free Member

Andora, fligh to Barcelona, rent a car, drive to Andora its a 2 hour drive. An then you have it all. Singletrack, guides, bike rental, bikeparks, beautiful nature, good hotels

mogrim

Basque country?

nasher
    Free Member

Ash will probably be busy this summer to do guided rides in sospel, but agreat place and I am sure he will help you out somehow.

I live on the Italian side….frankly there is loads to do and ride along the riviera dei fiori and the cot d’azur

we will be based in the mountains 30 mins from the coast, but if you want any info on coastal areas, routes, places to stay etc.. drop me a line…email in profile.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers nasher, that sounds like a winner. Especially as the preference from my good lady and the in-laws was Italy. I’ll be in touch over the next few days.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

OK, I’ve been informed that Lake Garda is high on the other halfs’ and in-laws list of locations. Anyone with experience of riding in this area? Quick google and it looks like it has potential.

scruff9252

issue 82 had a favourable feature on Garda…

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Indeed there is scruff, well remembered. I’ll have a read tonight.

qwackers
    Free Member

if you need info on Garda, get in touch, I ride there for 4-5 months every summer. I’ll be there from May to October. Best to inbox me. Cheers, Michael

frogstomp

We’re just finishing a week in Tenerife with great riding (guiding by Lavatrax), beaches, watersports, diving, whale-watching etc.. tick the boxes?

JoeG
    Free Member

or

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘European Family Holiday (inc bike) – ideas sought’ is closed to new replies.