• This topic has 553 replies, 102 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by loum.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 554 total)
  • EURO 2012 **SPOILERS**
  • grum
    Free Member

lol, Italy had 36 attempts on goal (only 8 on target though). If their finishing had been even half-way decent we would have been utterly, utterly humiliated.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whilst Terry is good at what he *can* do, what he *can’t* do is run very quickly and that is the root of lots of our problems – we sit deep and invite people on to us. If he had more pace we would be more confident pushing up more and causing teams their own problems.

yossarian
    Free Member

Rodwell, The Ox, Wilshere, Hart, Lescott, Walcott, Sturridge, Welbeck, Richards and a couple more.

The nucleus of a very good squad. The problem is the 100mph premier league. Ever wondered why so many of the average european players come over but the very, very best usually stay away? Unless the PL changes or more of our talented youngsters go play in spain, italy & germany we’ll continue to underperform.

loum
    Free Member

mf,
    totally agree with your description of Terry’s strengths and “inadequacies” but its not the cause of our problems, just incidental.
    The reason we sit deep and surrender territory and possession is Roy Hodgson’s tactical plan. He choses the formations, personell, and tactics to fit his gameplan; the players play to his plan.
    Lescott’s a pretty quick defender, and Jaglielka’s very quick too. They weren’t played together because Terry’s more suitable for Roy’s plan of defending on our 6yd line.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not big footie-er but even I could recognise that Milner and Young were bloody awful in every game. Oh, and who the bloody hell is that Henderson bloke? What’s his job?

loum
    Free Member

What’s his job?

In the current system being utilised by our great leader, Mr Hodgson, I believe his role is known as Shadow Chaser.
    This current system has 1 goalkeeper, 2 non-handling goalblockers, and 8 shadow chasers.

trailmonkey

i hate to say it but the outlook with the current crop of players has the look of the turnip taylor era.

do i not like that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We want English players to be able to beat Spain, Italy, Germany, etc? Not a chance as long as footie is coached the way it is at the moment. And as long as the Premier League acts like it has no responsibility for the success of the national side but only acts in the interests of it’s own avarice, England will be forever a quarter-finals side.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You speak for yourself there paddy i want them to habitually fail in penalty shootouts for ever more 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And as long as the Premier League acts like it has no responsibility for the success of the national side

+1

One of the best paid leagues with some of the best (overseas) players in the world yet we seemingly do little to nurture our own players.

PrinceJohn

+1

One of the best paid leagues with some of the best (overseas) players in the world yet we seemingly do little to nurture our own players.

It’s the same as a lot of people/organisations these days, why take time & work for success when you can buy it instantly.

As much as I dislike ManU there won’t ever be a team of like the Beckham/Scholes/Giggs/Neville coming through again. The only person in the Prem who appears to take development seriously is Arsene Wenger but he can only take players so far until they get seduced by even more money & even he still buys in hot prospects at 18-22 years old to try & impart his philosophy on them.

I don’t think we’ll go back to Taylor era – no one in the England team is as bad as Carlton Palmer & with players like Adam Johnson, Keiron Gibbs, Jack Wilshere, Wellbeck, Sturridge, Cahill & Joe Hart we have the nucleus of a good team.

I just hope for once the FA actually do something about it – the same way Germany did after we beat them in 66 & then again around 2000 when they limply went out of tournaments. Unfortunately the numbers of coaches holding UEFA badges in this country is still about 3000, compared to Spain’s 24,000 & Germany’s 35,000 (figures from bbc website) until we actually teach the kids control touch & technique, not hoof it to the freakishly big 7 year old in the team we will continue to fail..

loum
    Free Member

mf , p j
    Good article in the independent this morning with Benitez saying something very similar to you two, and establishing a U21 premier league instead of the reserve teams.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/rafael-benitez-england-have-the-talent–but-not-the-philosophy-7881158.html

donsimon
    Free Member

Rioja open, check.
    Chocolate digestive tapas, check.
    Bank account with no money, check.

¡A por ellos!

PrinceJohn

Good game this…

donsimon
    Free Member

Until the ref sticks his nose in… 🙄

PrinceJohn

The ref picked by the head of the Spanish fa?

I’m wondering how long portugal can keep this up….

MSP

Well, that’s a perfect example by Nani of exactly the kind of play acting that should bring a retrospective punishment.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s Spain v Portugal, you’ll see a lot more of that. It really is part of the Spanish club game, like it or lump it…

loum
    Free Member

good game.
    I’d be happy with watching an extra half hour of this 😉
    It’s fun watching penalties as a neutral.

edit . although i reckon there loks like more chance of a result, and a red the way this ref’s getting involved now

PrinceJohn

Very inconsistent refereeing….

donsimon
    Free Member

PrinceJohn

Can not see Portugal finishing extra time with eleven men..

donsimon
    Free Member

Lineker +1

donsimon
    Free Member

Ramos is having a great game..

PrinceJohn

Ramos is having a great game..

Everyone forgets how good he & Pique are cos they’re hardly ever in the game!

donsimon
    Free Member

Casillas FTW.

PrinceJohn

This is more relaxing penalties than the other night…

PrinceJohn

ooof what a save – inside info from Ronaldo?

kimbers

f-me portugal might just do it!

edit- maybe not

donsimon
    Free Member

GOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

PrinceJohn

ey up Nani…

Why can’t our defenders take penalties like that?

Here comes Alves – he’s go an English fluffer look about him…

donsimon
    Free Member

¡Que chulo!

donsimon
    Free Member

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!

PrinceJohn

Whoops – Bad decision there by CR7….

donsimon
    Free Member

Whoops – Bad decision there by CR7..

Good player, but I don’t think he’s a great player…. yet…

loum
    Free Member

for a 0-0, that was fun.
    4-3 tomorrow from the two “boring” teams?

PrinceJohn

Good player, but I don’t think he’s a great player…. yet…

Doesn’t help that once again he went awol on the big stage, someone like Messi is still involved & tries to make it all happen.

MSP

Mad Mario strikes!

donsimon
    Free Member

Super Marioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Junkyard
    Free Member

EAT MY GOAL

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 554 total)

The topic ‘EURO 2012 **SPOILERS**’ is closed to new replies.