Viewing 40 posts - 38,961 through 39,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • tjagain

Ninfan – there are no customs checks at the NI border now.

Are you saying that it needs to be a hard border at the NI / republic border? Considered by most a breach of the GFA and unacceptable ie will be vetoed by Dublin.

So that is no solution

ninfan
    Free Member

So how do you solve the border issue?

Spot checks, just like it’s operated for decades, see video above

yet he reckons he has the simple solution whereas people actually from the affected areas don’t? Is that true?

You tell me why it has to be any more difficult than the border between Switzerland and France,

go on, you tell me.

I’ve crossed that border a couple of dozen times, never had to stop once, even on the main roads never mind the back roads

Edit:

Ninfan – there are no customs checks at the NI border now.

Simply not true, customs do spot checks, as in the video above

tjagain

Kimbers – I very much doubt they will get a deal unless they cave in to everything including the ECJ and a border in the irish sea – which will not get thru parliament unless they can somehow get labour on board which UIMO will only be for remaining in the single market / CU which I just cannot see May offering

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You tell me why it has to be any more difficult than the border between Switzerland and France,

LOLZ remember that Swiss/French border issues from the last century?
    Can you land goods and people in Switzerland from sea?

tomd
    Free Member

^Ninfan. I’m not aware that either the Swiss or the French were killing each other’s border officers in recent history.

It’d be a brave man / woman that wants to man a border post (even intermittently) between ROI and NI.

tjagain

So hard border at the NI border then. Vetoed by Dublin. No deal.

France / Switzerland – they have regulatory convergence so no smuggling possibilities and as Switzerland is both landlocked and very tightly controlled no migration issues

How are you going to stop migration over the NI border? Fred from Poland can easily travel to the republic legally,. Nothing to stop him at the NI border. Yes – he is now in the UK

Edit – spot checks will not do. Its OK now while we are both in the EU but once we are out then spot checks is simply insufficient. What % of trucks crossing the border will you “spot check”?

aracer
    Free Member

Fall for it? I’m simply pointing out that as you say it’s a lie. Repeatedly. That’s not really allowing any tactic to succeed – it’s simply pointing out that ninfan is posting something which is a lie. Repeatedly. Something which I’m amused to see ninfan has now admitted to.

molgrips
    Free Member

go on, you tell me.

How would I know?

I’m not an Irish, NI or EU politican or businessman. So I am not aware of the issues. But then, as far as I know neither are you. I wouldn’t presume to know how to solve their problems and I certainly wouldn’t dismiss them out of hand. So why are you?

ninfan
    Free Member

which is a lie

No, as pointed out it’s an officialy published government statistic which was presented in a way that some people found to be misleading without additional information

You know, like promising a referendum before approving the EU constitution wasn’t a broken promise, because they left the contents fundamentally the same, but changed the title to the Lisbon Treaty,

I wouldn’t presume to know how to solve their problems and I certainly wouldn’t dismiss them out of hand. So why are you?

Because I’ve sucessfully exported goods both into and out of the EU, across a land border, without a problem.

tjagain

Ninfan – border solutions that are actually practical and will be acceptable to all parties

ninfan
    Free Member

Ninfan – border solutions that are actually practical and will be acceptable to all parties

The border solution in Switzerland appears to be acceptable to the EU

aracer
    Free Member

No, it isn’t, it’s a lie. Nowhere in the official statistics does it say that we send £350m a week to the EU, because we don’t.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to point out that you’re lying again though.

tjagain

Ninfan – are you suggesting then like Switzerland we keep all EU regs then? How are you going to stop migration over an open border?

mrmo
    Free Member

DD, apologies but still trying to get by head round this badly!

is this right?

Níl sé Eire ach ta sé Éire??

ninfan
    Free Member

lying

I’m sure the mods will be running along to crack down on such an egregious personal insult aracer, you know, to prove that they apply rules consistently

Nowhere in the official statistics does it say that we send £350m a week to the EU

As already detailed, yes, it does, it’s officially recorded as an transaction. Stop lying

binners

Because I’ve sucessfully exported goods both into and out of the EU, across a land border, without a problem.

A boot full of Semtex and a crate of AK-47’s?
    A body on the way to be buried in a shallow grave on the moors?

A ‘hard border’ in Ireland isn’t just about checking the paperwork on the milk deliveries

There’s just a little bit of history, and a whole world of symbolism

Well done on demonstrating an equal understanding of the issue to Theresa’s 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Good Friday agreement for Ninfan:

(ii) the removal of
    security installations;

This is the paragraph that the Tories have failed to honour in entering a pact with the DUP. You can’t pander to the DUP and claim to be imparatial, and that the NI assembly is acting impartially. The British government is overiding the NI assembly at the behest of the DUP.

(v) affirm that whatever choice is fr
    eely exercised by a majority of the
    people of Northern Ireland, the power
    of the sovereign government with
    jurisdiction there shall be exercised w
    ith rigorous impartiality on behalf of
    all the people in the diversity of their
    identities and traditions and shall be
    founded on the principles of full resp
    ect for, and equality of, civil,
    political, social and cultural rights, of
    freedom from discrimination for all
    citizens, and of parity of esteem and of just and equal treatment for the
    identity, ethos, and aspirations of both communities;

I read the full text after an interview with Kelly on TV a few months back. The concerns he expressed with regard to non-compliance with the agreement as a result of Brexit are legitimate.

tjagain

tjagain – Member

Ninfan – are you suggesting then like Switzerland we keep all EU regs then? How are you going to stop migration over an open border?

mrmo
    Free Member

with full customs checks in place. Spot checks to make sure cars aren’t carrying illegal goods (food!)

molgrips
    Free Member

So you’re an expert in it all now then?

kelvin

Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll… wouldn’t be an issue if we didn’t have government ministers repeating the same lie.

Nowhere in the official statistics does it say that we send £350m a week to the EU

The truth is rarely as simple as this. But It is simple this time. This is the truth.
    We do not send £350 million per a week to the EU (yet).

Daffy

ninfan – Member

As already detailed, yes, it does, it’s officially recorded as an transaction. Stop lying

It isn’t and can’t be for a number of reasons:

1. we’re actually supposed to pay ~£360m per week, so £350m can;t be recorded as a transaction.

2. To be a transaction, that amount of money to be transacted would have to be officially recorded and sent on a specific date. Given that the rebate is applied automatically to each payment made to the EU and that the actual amount (in 2016) is ~£242m, how can this be

officially recorded as an transaction

?

kimbers

Of course we send €350m to the EU, each week!

Borris Johnson personally delivers caseloads of €100 notes to Brussels every Thursday 😕

You see that’s the problem with giant lies written on a bus, even now some people actually believe it *

* either that or just enjoy trolling people on stw !

ninfan
    Free Member

(ii) the removal of security installations;

You get the difference between security installations and (ieven if you used them) border checkpoints, right?

To be a transaction, that amount of money to be transacted would have to be officially recorded

Would it perchance be officially recorded as a debit on the published list of official transactions between the U.K. and the institutions of the EU?

If you look a couple of pages back, you’ll find that it is. Hope that helps.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m sure the mods will be running along to crack down on such an egregious personal insult aracer, you know, to prove that they apply rules consistently[/quote]

Why, have you reported it? 😆 It’s not a personal insult at all, simply a factual statement – you said something which was a lie, therefore you were lying. I’m making no implication at all there about your character, people are free to make up their own minds about that based upon the available evidence.

[/quote]

I’m not lying. That is a lie. You’re good at this aren’t you?

You still don’t seem to understand accounts – the appearance of a figure on them doesn’t imply a transaction. As I asked earlier using your analogy, does the gross figure on your payslip mean that there has been a transaction of that amount between your employer and your bank? (no, I’m not expecting an answer to that, I will enjoy watching you avoid the question though)

ninfan
    Free Member

You still don’t seem to understand accounts – the appearance of a figure on them doesn’t imply a transaction

Then, as above, why did the government publish it as a transaction? 😆

kimbers

Kimbers – I very much doubt they will get a deal unless they cave in to everything

While I have the utmost faith in Theresa May & her clueless Brexiter colleagues to completely **** things up, at some point the EU will take pity on us and throw us some trifles dressed up as a deal of sorts.

The brexies, even the DUP know that if they blow out Labour are laughing, so fear will keep them in line even if it means huge concessions, as I said they were always gonna have to face the real world at some point.

aracer
    Free Member

cite

What value was the transaction between your employer and your bank?

dissonance

So ninfan’s not Irish or Northern Irish, yet he reckons he has the simple solution whereas people actually from the affected areas don’t?

I also have a simple solution. Its just that the Mencken misquote applies
    “For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong”

Although mine does have the advantage of being more likely to annoy the DUP. Which given the bung they took to influence brexit is well worth it.

tjagain

Want to answer Ninfan?

tjagain – Member

Aracer – stop flogging a dead horse

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t be rude about ninfan like that.

dissonance

The fact that Switzerland is surrounded by EU countries for all intents and purposes makes things somewhat different.
    Plus that they effectively accept EU law is another stumbling block. Cant see the “regain sovereignty” lot being happy with that.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 – I note the negative “transactions” on there and the total “transactions” on there – hint, just because it says “transactions” at the top doesn’t make every figure on there a transaction! You still don’t seem to understand accounting.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

Níl sé Éire ach tá sé Éire

Edukator
    Free Member

I get the difference between “border” and “security” checkpoints, Ninfan, but in the context of NI I don’t think you can make that distinction. Any kind of check at the border will be seen as both. You only have to ask to see ID and it is effectively both.

aP
    Free Member

Ninfan
    You tell me why it has to be any more difficult than the border between Switzerland and France, go on, you tell me.
    I’ve crossed that border a couple of dozen times, never had to stop once, even on the main roads never mind the back roads

We drove from Italy into Switzerland, and then a day later from Switzerland into France in June this year. We were stopped and questioned at Gondo on the way in (who were we, where had we been, how long had we been there, where were we going, why?) and then leaving Switzerland the next day at La Cure we got the same thing. Not in a white van = guaranteed stop and search I’d say, we saw major operations in both France and Italy this year where vans were being brought into Aires to be rigorously searched. Driving a less than 6 month old medium sized German “prestige” estate car…

ninfan
    Free Member

will be seen as

Ah, will be seen as… right.

Like those infamous hard borders between The EU and Lichtenstein

tjagain

Ninfan – care to answer?

kimbers

Foster refusing to meet with May today

when the Tories **** up, they do it in style !

Viewing 40 posts - 38,961 through 39,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.