Viewing 40 posts - 31,281 through 31,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • igm

Ignore. The forum is drunk

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let’s just let people character assassinate anyone with an opposing political view point then argue the semantics of whether or not they meant to draw unfavorable comparisons with ISIS.

Really…
    It was simple, a lot of people with Brexit views are intolerant of others/cultures/differences, would like more draconian punishments like executions returned and in general seem to want some well forgotten past returned to them where little old england was white, straight, well behaved and like they want to be (or more correctly hide others, repress the rest and use violence and totalitarian methods to achieve it). There are many parallels with other single minded nutters out there.

aracer
    Free Member

You’re doing it again…

It’s cute that you think you can hide your dishonesty

Well now I’m curious in what way you think I’ve been dishonest?

Let’s just let people character assassinate anyone with an opposing political view point then argue the semantics of whether or not they meant to draw unfavorable comparisons with ISIS.

I’m quite happy to “character assassinate” anybody on here if they write something silly and incorrect, whatever their political inclination – my personal political viewpoint is somewhat more open to change through the use of good argument than most people on here, so knock yourself out if you want to try and make one. As for the comparison with ISIS I suggest you go back and check exactly what was written – here’s a clue: it’s not semantics to point out that somebody didn’t write what you’re accusing them of writing.

@THM – in case you’ve missed it, my posts on this thread are mostly piss taking, as there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of constructive purpose to it (though for reference jimjam’s comprehension failure involved him referring to a different quote to the one you used – one which didn’t even include wording open to misinterpretation).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

@THM – in case you’ve missed it, my posts on this thread are mostly piss taking

Don’t worry that’s obvious – and the purpose easy to “comprehend” 😉

theocb
    Free Member

Still the STW heavyweight fact checkers haven’t arrived?? Those that have seem to be offended by someone being offended by the weasel insults. How very odd.. summer hols I spose :mrgreen:

Have you read the paper based on the survey referenced in that article?
    Do you deny that ISIS have previous for capital punishment and flogging?
    Ok – so both groups share some values. Agreed?

😆
    We seem to be going around in circles a bit.. so YOU made up some horse shite to make the loooooooong and offensive leap (deliberate) to connect ISIS members with one of your completely unconnected surveys.

Don’t we need some slightly better information on the values of leave voters and ISIS members to make such claims??

I know of some pretty despicable people who use weasel words and spend lot’s of time on the internet (just saying, not actually suggesting you are like those despicable people; though I don’t really know to be sure, just saying that there are parallels with the behaviours and it needs pointing out)

You think your posting is thought provoking and not intentionally offensive?? Truly delusional 😆 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Sigh….the fact that I even feel the need to bother. Let’s just recap some of the things igm posted.

igm – Member

The remainers even now have refrained from killing people they disagree with. Unlike say, ISIS or the Brexies.

igm – Member

I’m not suggesting for an instant that all Brexies are murderers. However there is an interesting study, which I did post up a while back, showing how many traits they have in common with ISIS supporters .

igm – Member

I’ll see if I can find the survey linking the Brexy and ISIS traits.

igm – Member

The Brexy-ISIS thing was a survey about 18 months ago of 24,000 folk as I recall which asked questions along the lines of “do you support the death penalty?” or “do you support public flogging for sex crimes?”
    The questions that correlated best with Brexit voting intention were death penalty and public flogging – things ISIS was doing at the time.

igm – Member

I suggest that there are parallels in some of the regressive and reactionary thinking is displayed by both (Brexit voters and ISIS).

igm – Member
    Widespread nasty actions with an absolute pinnacle way beyond anything the remainers have done? undoubtedly, that’s documented.

igm – Member

Encouragers of hatred ? make your own mind up

Obviously there’s no intention to draw any comparison or make any equivalence between people who voted leave and ISIS. None whatsoever.

But more to the point, is anyone stupid enough to see that this “study” and these “links” are representative of anything other than a desire to mislead, slander and catergorise a group?

Do leave voters feel that the death penalty should be used for the same crimes that ISIS use it? Do leave voters believe that the death penalty should be applied to homosexuals? Do leavers believe that atheists, or indeed anyone who believes in a religion other than their own should be murdered?

Public flogging – did the survey specify which crimes this would be applicable to or was it up to the respondants imagination? ISIS flog people for any number of crimes, as does the government of Saudi Arabia, crimes like immodesty, women dressing inappropriately.

Given enough surveys I’m sure I could establish a link between remainers and ISIS – some ISIS members even enjoy ice cream, or Coca-Cola, and I’d venture to say a number of remainders also enjoy ice cream? Why is there a link between the sugary treats enjoyed by ISIS and remainers???

******* pathetic. I’m done with this joke of a thread for another while.

Del

Anyway, moving on….
    Jambs, your lse conclusions aren’t altogether on the money. Surprise.
    analysis

Junkyard
    Free Member

you mean the right wing press have deliberately misrepresented something about BRexit

plus ça change

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So the Indy takes some made up stories and says their’s made up. And misapplies the term hard Brexit. No wonder so few people were lefts reading it, either that or it’s August and no news of substance

Shackleton

So the Indy takes some made up stories and says their’s made up. And misapplies the term hard Brexit.

Eh?

Del

Did you actually read the article? Seems like a lot of ( lazy? ) Journos took the numbers at face value and ran with it, including the independent ( which they confirm ), as the authors of the report failed to deliver their underlying data for two or three days.
    Light on news in august? Maybe, but quite a few RW were making hay on this.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

About 1/3 of it…..too many errors right at the start was the giveaway not to waste too much time on it

Junkyard
    Free Member

\you will need to highlight them for me as well [though i know you put effort into obfuscating your actual point] as they just seemed to report the news and then the survey

aracer
    Free Member

So it should just ignore any flaws in a widely reported study? I presume the issues with that study were so obvious to you (I must have missed your post about that – linky?) that you forgot that you are far more intelligent than the average person who might need them pointing out.

Exactly what should quality journalism be doing which is more worthwhile than pointing out the flaws in something used as propaganda concerning the most significant political (and economic etc.) issue in our country at the moment?

And misapplies the term hard Brexit.

cite

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Writing quality – simple

kimbers

Im unsurprised that Davis is now complaining that he wasn’t consulted about the Hammond/Fox statement

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

mrmo
    Free Member

https://www.ft.com/content/60ce72f0-7e9c-11e7-ab01-a13271d1ee9c

I guess it is clear the Euro is failing, just minor issues that Sterling and the Dollar are failing faster.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The price is merely the price, nothing else. The US and the U.K. Merely recovered earlier and are peaking -in this cycle – earlier. EU is mid/late cycle and will peak 4q17/1q18. Look at the shape of the US yield curve – flat as a pancake. So € is likely to move up in time ver both the £ and $ – that’s all there is too it.

Many of the Euroepans need a stronger currency like a cup of cold sick at the moment. Still if it makes people feel artificially virile, so be it. Better than moaning

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nail.on.the.Head @tmh

Anyone see the Channel 4 News piece on the migrant crises, NGO rescue boats picking up migrants whilst Libyian coastguard with EU support tries to stop them. Same EU who withdrew support to the Italian Navy when they where policing the same waters. Tragic shambles.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My lord you will argue this scenario anyway as long a you get to blame the EU do you need reminding of what you said at the time about the EU support for the navy ?

Have you considered just GAS that your fellow man is suffering indescribable horrors rather than use it to score points against the EU whatever happens ?

mrmo
    Free Member

The US and the U.K. Merely recovered earlier and are peaking -in this cycle – earlier. EU is mid/late cycle and will peak 4q17/1q18.

You say it is a cycle, so why is the pound near historic lows? Not much of a cycle when its value has been destroyed?

When i first came to Switzerland 20+ years ago it was c3CHF to the pound, now it is c1.2. Agreed it doesn’t help Swiss exporters to have such a strong currency but what does it say about the pound?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

More sellers than buyers

The economies are cyclical and remarkably synchronised at the moment – albeit that the UK and US didn’t have the 12/13 dip. Hence the latters’ cycles are more mature and close to or past their peak. The flat US yield curve tells you all you need to know.

In contrast, the EU is at an earlier stage, the yield curve has been steeping and the € has been strengthening against the £ and the $, as one would expect.

Nothing out of the ordinary going on

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well at least today, the hard Brexshit BS can be put to bed hopefully – always was a silly concept.

Odd that Starmer – a more rational member of the Oppo – went off on a tangent though.

Seems like Big Phil has made some progress.

thecaptain
    Free Member

long past brexit’s bedtime but I think we’ve got several more months of tantrums to get through first…

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mrmo same chf move against euro / historic components too. What is says is about how the Swiss have managed their economy

binners

Interesting conversation with a mate last night who works for one of the bigger government departments. One that will be enormously affected in all manner of ways by Brexit. He was saying how due to the total absence of leadership or direction, they’re still clueless as to what they’re actually meant to be prioritising amid the absolutely vast mountain of work that this stupidity will entail

But not to worry, in true government fashion, a lot of very highly paid consultants have been brought in to advise. So far they’re advised a range of very very expensive, huge IT schemes so as to replicate the systems we will no longer be part of once we leave the EU

The words ‘White’ and ‘Elephant’ cropped up repeatedly

It has managed one thing though. Within the department, it has absolutely unified opinion among the entire staff that the people in charge of Brexit don’t actually have the remotest clue as to real world implications and consequences of what is about to happen, and that theres no way on earth, given the timescales involved, that this whole thing is going to be anything other than an absolute car crash!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Curious you say that tmh, hard Brexit is the only option on the table we are simply looking at length / type of transition period with a 2022 cut off date

Ex Italian PM said the EU members haven’t even begun to consider the real negative impact of the UK leaving. The UK is free to adjust it’s economy and trading relations but the EU cannot move quickly, 27 nations all with vested interests. If Davies does call their bluff and say no exit arrangements / financials discussions until trade is outlined then the S really will hit the fan. The rows about the budget pay / receive will explode

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Have you considered just GAS that your fellow man is suffering indescribable horrors rather than use it to score points against the EU whatever happens ?

Don’t hold your breath JY…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

When i first came to Switzerland 20+ years ago it was c3CHF to the pound, now it is c1.2. Agreed it doesn’t help Swiss exporters to have such a strong currency but what does it say about the pound?

Th obvious conclusion is that sterling has weakened.

Draw your own conclusions to why…

binners

Dear God! Bill Esterson – Labours Shadow International Trade Secretary is on 5 Live

Listening to him squirm and evade answering a question about the Labour position on Brexit, its like listening to a 3 year old child try to explain quantum physics. Like his opposite number, he appears to be absolutely totally clueless. He seems genuinely unable to understand what the implications to leaving the custome union are

It seems like none of the politicians on either side have the first idea about what is actually taking place here. Just total ****-wits winging it, and making it up as they go along on both sides

molgrips
    Free Member

Well at least today, the hard Brexshit BS can be put to bed hopefully

What makes you say that? I haven’t caught the news today.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

One of the few things May has got correct is

1 Brexshit means Brexshit
    2. There is no such things as a hard or soft Brexshit

We are giving up membership of the EU – in line with the results of a democratic process – and now negotiating the terms under which we will continue to have access to the EU single market and v.v.

That’s all there is to it 😉

There is nothing in any of the Uk documentation that suggests that H or S Brexshits either exist or are a target. Juts so sign that clouds the narrative – conveniently it seems

Del

There is nothing in any of the Uk documentation that suggests that H or S Brexshits either exist or are a target

there was nothing in that survey that suggested hard or soft brexit existed or would be referenced either…

Juts so sign that clouds the narrative – conveniently it seems

what was that about quality of writing?

thecaptain
    Free Member

No THM, the govt is floating a few kites but no-one is negotiating anything about access to the market, that is all scheduled for some way down the road, once sufficient progress has been made over the terms of the separation (including the Irish problem for which no credible solution has been presented).

Just as well there is no deadline to all this.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What survey – I am responding to Jambas
    Fading eyesight and a phone with bloody autocorrect – my defence 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well yes there are differing views re timetable and scheduling – but that is what we are doing, negotiating the terms of our future access and v.v.

I wish we could get on with it….

PJM1974
    Free Member

I did a calculation the other day. If each of the 17.4m people who voted Leave surrender their tax free personal allowance this year, we’d see slightly more than £40bn increased tax revenue, which could be spent on our settlement and leave enough to fly Liam Fox and one of his mates around the globe, so that he can make trade deals with oppressive regimes.

binners

Getting on with it? Getting on with what?

One thing that’s been consistent from the initial ‘Brexit means Brexit’ bollocks, right up to today is that nobody seems to have a clue what on earth the UK position is on pretty much anything at all

WHAT DO WE WANT?!!!!

Erm…. some sort of vague, non-specific Brexit type of thing

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?!!!!

Erm… at some indeterminate point in the future at the end of some sort of transitional phase type thing

Viewing 40 posts - 31,281 through 31,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.