Viewing 40 posts - 23,281 through 23,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • scotroutes

never mind what happened with bankers where, clearly, it cost the taxpayers a few pence.

That’s a good point. Where exactly are we with the cost of the bank bailout these days? We’re still heavily into RBS of course (and given their ongoing issues we might have to write that off) but we must be breaking even on everything else?

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂 I did used to live next to the Cathedral used in The Omen !

jambalaya
    Free Member

Scot we are nearly out of Lloyds after a recent share sale. RBS was clearly a massive error from Brown wrt bailout, wrong price and insufficient control despite 80% shareholding. Most of the bailout was in form of loans which have either been paid back or will be. The Asset Protection scheme (insurance) resulted in a massive profit £8bn I recall but wouod need to check. The smaller regionals like Alliance and Leicester, Bradford and Bingley and Northern Rock are all break even / profit I believe having been wound down/sold/restructured.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why so mol?

Because they are not very good at it. Simple,

br
    Free Member

Junky I know many bankers who have lost amounts in the tens of millions on shares in their employers. Just look at bank share prices since say 2006. A very large portion of Lehman Brothers employees held large numbers of shares for example.

Yep, pretty much proved what we came to find out – they didn’t really understand risk. Every company I’ve worked for that awarded me shares I sold straight away.

Company goes pop, you lose your job and your shares are valueless. It’s not difficult.

br
    Free Member

The big row is going to be whether the EU will discuss trade before we finalise this “exit bill”, another reason why I say plan A is WTO tariffs with all amounts routed to NHS and let’s just get on with focusing globally.

Sorry, did you miss my post a few pages back where even the most committed of Brexiters in Govt have finally worked out that WTO will be a disaster – I gave you a couple of goes at answering…

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to watching the forthcoming tory party explosion when they eventually realise that they can’t actually have their cake and eat it. Given that they’ll have the choice between crashing out to North Korea status, or remaining an EU member in all but name, it’s hard to see the former attracting a majority of MPs and choosing the latter will lose half their voters to UKIP.

It will be an entertaining couple of years.

iffoverload
    Free Member

just wanted to be on this page 😈

as you were 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

thecaptain – Member
    … crashing out to North Korea status, …

North Korea is doing just fine. They don’t cause harm to anyone and they do not intervene in others’ affairs unlike busy body EU system. North Korea just want to live in peace with their own Korean people.

Are you afraid of isolation?

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

so that’s smoke and mirrors about whether it’s paid to the EU first and then back to the UK

Why does that sound familiar?

Leku
    Free Member

North Korea is doing just fine.

Unless you actually have to live there with the death camps and starving millions…

kelvin

Depends who I’m isolate with, and cut off from…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junky I know many bankers who have lost amounts in the tens of millions on shares in their employers. Just look at bank share prices since say 2006. A very large portion of Lehman Brothers employees held large numbers of shares for example.

But THM was arguing how we coudl not trust politicans as they are bad at investing and here we have the bankers being bad at investing

Have we finally all agreed that the sector that makes the decision is no indication of how good the decision is and the decision is not magically good[ or bad] because it was made by a politician, a business leader or a shareholder/investor.

Any of these groups can make good or bad decisions and if you dislike one of them its because of your personal politics – hence THM [ neutral but always agreeing with Tory ideology ] distrust politicians.
    That was my only point both sectors make errors and it seems like we all agree on that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course!

mt
    Free Member

They’ll be no isolation in a free Yorkshire, the bike rides are so good people queue to get in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that will be at the paying booths no doubt 😉

DrJ
    slowoldman

that will be at the paying booths no doubt

Of course a wall will be needed. But that will be paid for those wanting to visit. Definitely not by Yorkshire.

mt
    Free Member

@slowoldman, I see you have joined the Yorkshire Freedom Party. A wall around Gods country paid for by a tax on goods from Southerners and Lancashire has been mentioned at the last YFP meeting. However the idea was dropped as there are no taxes generated, due them not having anything worth buying. Everyone know only good stuff comes from Yorkshire.

br
    Free Member

However the idea was dropped as there are no taxes generated, due them not having anything worth buying.[/I]

Eccles Cakes and Bakewell Tarts?

And tbh taking on the idea of exporting Jam etc, surely there is WORLDWIDE market for Curd Tarts?

Although funny how it’s only when you leave Yorkshire that you find out that they are actually referred to as Yorkshire Curd Tarts elsewhere (recently served on a KX-Edinburgh Virgin train). 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Another gift to Greece from the generous Germans

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/11/unexploded-ww2-bomb-prompts-huge-thessaloniki-greece-evacuation

There is no mention of Germans in the article apart from the reference to a German city which had to deal with an unexploded British bomb. Apparently the bomb in Thessaloniki was too degraded to establish weather it was an Allied or German bomb. Or indeed Italian – they bombed Thessaloniki.

mt
    Free Member

I do believe that Curd Tart is the best tart int world (well apart from that lass who sells her assets up Golcar), with that n Yorkshire Puddings the encommy of Gods own Country is assured, especially when you add the Rhubarb triangle. We’ll be living of fat o the land (well fish n chips) for years to come.

kelvin

The Yanks are no doubt dying to buy more of our Rhubarb. Our future as a Free Yorkshire is secured by that fact alone.

DrJ

Apparently the bomb in Thessaloniki was too degraded to establish weather it was an Allied or German bomb.

You’re riight – in fact I did what I criticise others for, neglecting the negative impact of the “allies” on Greece.

oldnpastit

The Yanks are no doubt dying to buy more of our Rhubarb. Our future as a Free Yorkshire is secured by that fact alone.

Oddly enough I was chatting to someone at lunch on Friday in the Los Gatos (Bay Area) office of the company I work for. He was saying how much he missed Rhubarb pie.

Apparently American rhubarb isn’t as good as the proper stuff.

slowoldman

Let’s not forget Henderson’s Relish.

ninfan
    Free Member

Will Free Yorkshire be reverting to pre-1974 Borders?

slowoldman

I’m pretty sure reverting to the old Ridings would be a vote winner.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure reverting to the old Ridings would be a vote winner.

Not with the poshos in Harrogate and Ripon it wouldn’t 😀

The whole thing opens a can of worms – reversion to 1930 borders will be fun around Sheffield,while 1887 borders might be controversial for Singletrack Towers staff as well.

I think we need to be told!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

i think we need an non-binding, advisory vote….

kelvin

The whole thing opens a can of worms – reversion to 1930 borders will be fun around Sheffield,while 1887 borders might be controversial for Singletrack Towers staff as well.

Derbyside area and Yorkshire/Lancashire border will be magically fixed … just like Gibraltar and the NI border will be… just have faith… quit your moaning…

igm

teamhurtmore – Member
    i think we need an non-binding, advisory vote….

Annndd… you’re banned

kimbers
    slowoldman

Ooh – 667. Fax number of the beast.

slowoldman

North Korea is doing just fine. They don’t cause harm to anyone and they do not intervene in others’ affairs unlike busy body EU system. North Korea just want to live in peace with their own Korean people.

North Korea test fires ballistic missile

mt
    Free Member

Fellow people of the County of York, all previous borders of our great county will be respected as long as there is an increase in the Yorkshire land mass. Let’s face it, no one will want to be excluded from a free Yorkshire. Those in that don’t want a return to the Riddings can burger of to the softy south were its quite clear the belong.

Free Yorkshire an it better be cheap!

igm

Careful mt, sounds like your offering an open border policy to anyone who fancies being a Tyke.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@br apologies I missed your WTO post, will look it up and reply.

mt
    Free Member

@igm Only if they are born in gods country or what was. It is pleasing to read that the Yorkshire Freedom movement is gain traction.

br
    Free Member

Jamba

I would be interested in your actual view re WTO, as seriously after reading about it way back it just didn’t seem a viable option – and still doesn’t now.

Far too many implications that folk have missed, such as agriculture quotas where we’d need to get a percentage off other countries to be able to sell our products.

Viewing 40 posts - 23,281 through 23,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.