Viewing 40 posts - 20,161 through 20,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed “the most RW”. QED. Bland Centralist politics defines us.- and we are better for it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Bland Centralist politics defines us

Actually said on a thread about the EU Referendum result!!!!!!

How bland and predictable the EU Referendum result was eh ? 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed, we have to make a drama over trade arrangements. Oh and the fact that there are more xenophobes in the UK that we thought. QED.

Centrist.

DrJ

More pathetic grovelling. Is this really what “take back control” looks like? Just when you think you can’t be any more ashamed to be British!

igm

Can we deport the xenophobes?

Suppose not. Who’d have them?

😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We can export our construction workers to Poland – there must be a shortage there now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

More pathetic grovelling. Is this really what “take back control” looks like? Just when you think you can’t be any more ashamed to be British!

It’s nothing new, it’s the “Special Relationship” as defined by Winston Churchill…..they tell us what to do and we happily do what they tell us.

It’s very special……the United States usually has to rely on its economic and military strength to subjugate a country. But not in the case of Great Britain.

DrJ

they tell us what to do and we happily do what they tell us.

But they haven’t even told us yet! It’s like a beaten dog that cowers even before you raise a stick 🙁

igm

We can export our construction workers to Poland – there must be a shortage there now.

A) only until we leave
    B) what’s the Polish for “Auf Wiedersehen, Pet”?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I tried to look but screen too fussy on my phone! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Listened to so many people over the years complaining about what a shithole Britain is.

Never thought I’d ever be agreeing with them.

Edit: but then again there’s the 48?.. that May is ignoring. She needs to be **** locked up, seriously.

theocb
    Free Member

I heard a rumour on here, if you voted remain you were automatically ‘intelligent’
    Some of you seem intent on proving that rumour to be a rather big pile of horse shit. 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

Listened to so many people over the years complaining about what a shithole Britain is.

and why is that? Brussels or Westminster????

Hence why the whole brexit thing is merely a distraction and will come back and bite the politicians when things don’t get better.

slowoldman

[/quote]Immigration is key to Brexshit/populism which is why current trends are so dangerous. Have we forgotten history?

We have forgotten or become disconnected by a generation. I would like you all to have a listen to something. Human Rights lawyer Phillipe Sands on Radio 3’s Private Passions today. No need to listen to it all but his comments from about 37 minutes in. It sums up my feelings as the son of parents (1 English and 1 German) who lived through the 30s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088j46j

molgrips
    Free Member

and why is that?

Mostly complaining about ignorant right wing xenophobes inhabiting the place.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Just thinking about this. If lots of Tory MPs are favour of a softer Brexit, could there be a leadership challenge?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

48% of what mol?

milleboy
    Free Member
    igm

And more ironically…

Apparently Brexit may over time affect the viability of the state pension and make us more like Greece, Italy and Spain. Due to demographic effects on the economy, not trade or employment effects. Interesting.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/15/hard-brexit-means-retiring-later-britons-warned?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-2

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nice numbers but nothing new in the idea. Hope the xenophobes are not reliant on a state pension!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Quite well observed:

“In those days Great Britain was less wealthy than it is now, but it was also less complacent, and considerably less useless. It had a sense of humanitarian responsibility and a myth of its own importance that was quixotically true and universally accepted merely because it believed in it, and said so in a voice loud enough for foreigners to understand. It had not yet acquired the schoolboy habit of waiting for months for permission from Washington before it clambered out of its post-imperial bed, put on its boots, made a sugary cup of tea, and ventured through the door.”

kelvin

If lots of Tory MPs are favour of a softer Brexit, could there be a leadership challenge?

Unlikely. May’s immigration agenda is catnip to Tory activists, members and core voters, and is also the best weapon to win over both UKIP and northern Labour voters.

Could see yet more Tory MPs quietly give up (and mostly be replaced by new Tory MPs at byelections). LibDems might snatch a few, but not enough to put May’s government at risk.

kelvin

I heard a rumour on here, if you voted remain you were automatically ‘intelligent’

Bullshit.

Some of you seem intent on proving that rumour to be a rather big pile of horse shit.

Oh, I see, you made the bullshit comment just so that you could prove yourself right… carry on as you were…

Northwind

theocb – Member

I heard a rumour, that if you argued in favour of leave you most likely made stuff up, like rumours.

slowoldman

I made a cod’s of the quotes when I posted this earlier, but I really do think you should listen. So, apologies for the double post, but here it is again.

We have forgotten or become disconnected by a generation.

I would like you all to have a listen to something. Human Rights lawyer Phillipe Sands on Radio 3’s Private Passions today. No need to listen to it all but his comments from about 37 minutes in. It sums up my feelings as the son of parents (1 English and 1 German) who lived through the 30s.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088j46j

mrmo
    Free Member

the good news keeps on coming. At least they are starting to acknowledge the non retired in the UK are going to die at work and never retire, nice to have a bit of honesty come out.

theocb
    Free Member

😀
    Oh sorry chaps, did I miss you calling out the BS/the insults/the hypocritical nonsense/the opinion based horse shit from those who suit your own bias?

A quick defense to my post but happy to let the constant ‘leavers are ignorant racists’ type stuff keep on keeping on

Come on now, it’s not cool to be a hypocrite you know. Just because you have a point of view doesn’t mean you can’t be fair minded as well as exceptionally intelligent.

mrmo
    Free Member

theocb, what do you gain by leaving that was not possible whilst in the EU? How do we get a better position than we were in?

IF you can come up with a reasoned response i won’t add you to the list of idiots that have made life harder, more expensive, and screwed up options for a large number of people.

Oh and i won’t expect you to buy me a new UK passport when in two years my current one becomes invalid, i won’t expect you to pay for a new driving licence, a new number plate etc etc etc.

I won’t hold it against you when duty free limits are re instated and you can only bring back a couple of bottles of wine. etc etc

br
    Free Member

Hmm. Just thinking about this. If lots of Tory MPs are favour of a softer Brexit, could there be a leadership challenge?

Doubt it, they’re politicians and will only challenge her if they think they won’t be in power, the state if the country will be a secondary concern.

theocb
    Free Member

‘Those idiots’ are you and you and you. Don’t you understand how this works.
    ‘We’ have made things complicated. Stop passing the blame and start looking in the mirror.

El-bent
    Free Member

‘Those idiots’ are you and you and you. Don’t you understand how this works.
    ‘We’ have made things complicated. Stop passing the blame and start looking in the mirror.

No one was expecting an intelligent reply now were they?

mrmo
    Free Member

No one was expecting an intelligent reply now were they?

There is always hope,

What do you gain by leaving that was not possible whilst in the EU?

How is this so a hard question to answer?

BoardinBob

Unlikely. May’s immigration agenda is catnip to Tory activists, members and core voters, and is also the best weapon to win over both UKIP and northern Labour voters.

A point I’ve made before. They will plough on with whatever approach keeps them in power regardless of the damage it will do. Absolutely terrifying.

Things like this should not be decided by one party. It needs to be a much more transparent and collaborative process. Sadly that’ll never happen

mrmo
    Free Member

It needs to be a much more transparent and collaborative process. Sadly that’ll never happen

The AV referendum was the one chance we had of changing the voting system, it may have been crap but by rejecting it i think we are doomed to a one party state for some time.

theocb
    Free Member

What did you gain by voting leave mrmo?
    The vote suggests you voted leave, is that not how you see it??

cloudnine
    Free Member

what do you gain by leaving that was not possible whilst in the EU? How do we get a better position than we were in?

IF you can come up with a reasoned response

mrmo
    Free Member

What did you gain by voting leave mrmo?
    The vote suggests you voted leave, is that not how you see it??

Voted remain, as did a quarter of the population.

one quarter want change one quarter don’t, one quarter didn’t vote which usually suggests happy with status quo and one quarter weren’t asked, on top of this plenty more in europe who will have to live with the result but although they are british were not allowed to vote.

So much for an overwhelming mandate!

Nipper99
    Free Member

As I’ve posted before – welcome to the future a la Hammond.

It is that Britain should free itself from all the constraints which Europe imposes and from its essential social democratic model and go for a new type of economy altogether.

This economy would be defined in a sense by its very opposition to that European model. It would be free market, free trading, light regulation, low tax, low social protection – a sort of attempt to ?replicate the city states of Hong Kong and Singapore.

It’s not an impossible vision. We might – or at least some of us might – succeed in such a society.

But let us be very clear. It is not what a lot of the Brexit people voted for.

The NHS? Forget it. It would be much too expensive. Low numbers of migrants? Of course not, we would want them and need them. Theresa May’s workers on boards and a fairer capitalism? Not on this model.

What on earth would be the point of leaving Europe only to import Europe’s labour laws? Our competitive advantage would be precisely the absence of such regulation.

theocb
    Free Member

You what? Somebody tell erm.. somebody. We actually voted remain? Shit the bed the Bobby Ewing story wasn’t quite so silly after all.

YOU voted leave, the result is how YOU voted, that’s how these things work. You do understand that little bit of info, Right?? There is no quarter of this and quarter of that after the result

You are as responsible as the next man (and perhaps ‘even more so’ if you think you are more intelligent than them)

We gained a huge amount of info from the vote, if you have a read of the thread you will see that some of the greatest minds in the world (self proclaimed of course) were shocked by the result, which perhaps shows a problem with our education system 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 20,161 through 20,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.