Viewing 40 posts - 14,601 through 14,640 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Hard Brexit would satisfy less. I’m not quite sure why we have to pander to a minority of those who voted in the referendum just because they think they won?

el_boufador

That’s sensational, and brave, from Corbyn.

Tj I think there is a lot of posturing, but no bite.

Has anyone actually seen any militant brexit people? I’ve read a lot, but I haven’t seen one. I really, really hope the gutter press’ bluff is being called don this one.

Neb

So May won’t accept complete free movement of people, the EU says access to single market = freedom of movement and Corbin won’t allow A50 unless access to the single market is retained.

This actually just got interesting, rather than solely depressing.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Jezza has grown a set? Line in the sand no woolly bollocks- It’s all too seismic, Trump is going to win…

aracer
    Free Member

It would be quite funny if I didn’t live here.

I’m actually starting to wonder if they’re all on the Daily Mash payroll.

tomd
    Free Member

My opinion of Jeremy Corbyn has just improved massively. Finally, the Opposition growing a set and putting some pressure on the government. Hopefully he can get his party to go along with it. Great to see after all the infighting and navel gazing.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Maybe I missed it, but I don’t see Corbyn guaranteeing to vote against unless we remain in the EAA.

MSP

It would be interesting to see how people would vote in an election if it came down to it. There is clearly a sizeable minority of labour voters willing to vote for brexit, they have voted for ukip (in more numbers in non general elections) would they be willing to vote tory to force it through. And there a clearly a lot of tory voters who want to remain, voting lib dem might see an easy alternative, but could be ineffective, would they vote labour to hopefully see brexit pushed into the political background.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another election would see a lot people voting for against their normal choice just over this single issue. Once whatever happens with brexit happens we’d be left with a government that doesn’t really have a proper mandate. We’d need yet another general election 8)

br
    Free Member

Quite interesting that when I asked yesterday where everyone saw ourselves in 2019 after we’d exited, none of the Leavers on here had anything positive to add to my initial thoughts.

Is that because there aren’t any?

kimbers

Would people vote solely on Brexit lines?

I’m not so sure, I suspect May and pollsters aren’t so sure either, which is why she wants to avoid a GE and push on with brexishambles. That her and Truss still haven’t condemed the abuse and attacks on the judiciary by the Daily Heil and the public, speaks volumes about her character.
    It’s also going to add to her woes, while the Tory press are **** themselves off with the Thatcher comparisons this morning, just as she did with the police when home sec, she’s now alienated the judiciary & legal community- people she is going to rely on heavily to secure her brexishambles.

jambalaya
    Free Member

i wonder how Ed would vote ?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Can someone point me the exact words JC used to commit to voting against Brexit over the issue of tarrifs?

tjagain

outofbreath

From the grauniad

The opposition will join forces with Conservative remain supporters and other parties to block article 50 if the prime minister does not guarantee access to the single market, the Labour leader told the Sunday Mirror.

The paper said that Corbyn’s four bottom lines were:

UK access to 500 million customers in Europe’s single market.
    No watering down of EU workplace rights.
    Guarantees on safeguarding consumers and the environment.
    A promise that Britain will pick up the tab for any EU capital investment lost as a result of Brexit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kimbers May doesn’t need to hold a GE, even with polls showing a massive Tory lead why take a risk ? She has at least two more cards to play, court appeal and a commons vote

cchris2lou

It is either brave or stupid by Corbyn to ask for access to single market as he knows May can not guaranteed it.

A special deal is possible with the EU, it is on both sides intetest to keep good trading relations.

Not a word from May to defend the judges.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Corbin won’t allow A50

how is he going to do that then – whip his party – what if they vote against his whip anyway, which is surley acceptable to him as he has voted against the whip so many times?

outofbreath
    Free Member

If that’s a true reflection of what he said I don’t see why he’d need to vote against. I’d like to see the actual words he used.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

We will still have access even if a hard breexit – there will just be tarriffs, and the size of those tarriffs needs to be determined.

And as the tarriff income with be more than the cost it is in the interests of the companies in the EU that a better deal than WTO rules is reached.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“It is either brave or stupid by Corbyn to ask for access to single market as he knows May can not guaranteed it.”

The WTO can though.

outofbreath
    Free Member

We” will still have access even if a hard breexit – there will just be tarriffs, and the size of those tarriffs needs to be determined.”

Nope, they’re already known. Average of 2.5 PC. Wine is one of the highest tarrifs and the majority of red wine in my local Tesco is from outside the EAA.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Corbyn knows no one can guaranty access to the single market, its a political manouver. It also conradicta everything he has said up till now including that we should have triggered A50 immediately.

kimbers

jambalaya – Member
    i wonder how Ed would vote

Jambafact #1728

Turnout was 70% in Doncaster, so that should say

‘Ed Milliband , 50% of your constituents voted to leave ‘ 😆

Even your cut n paste vote leave propaganda is devoid of truth,
    Quick get it written on a bus!!

cchris2lou

Maybe the PM is worried about an mp debate as the Leave arguments would not stand up very well with facts ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Corbyn knows no one can guaranty access to the single market, its a political manouver.

This is the sort of thing people have been waiting for him to actually work out. It’s politics, it’s a game to an extent and it’s big risk/reward.

Nope, they’re already known. Average of 2.5 PC.

Average of all, average the UK’s imports, average of the UK’s exports, average of the UK’s imports and exports or just an average figure.
    Average is the most useless expressions of numbers available

Klunk
    Free Member

the equation for Enola is how many tory mps would vote down hard brexit, are there 10 or more Ken Clarkes ? Or whether she is prepared to side with labour, against the eurosceptic wing of her on party (and the fascist press) to push through the Norway pointless farage loses his seat option.

MSP

Would people vote solely on Brexit lines?

I think it is a big enough issue, it will drive economic and foreign policy through several election cycles, the reality is that virtually every other policy or path politics in the uk can take is dependant on how brexit turns out.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Jambalaya and his mates have been here before:

Neb

But that 2.5% two tariff is just on goods, the problem is that we don’t export many goods, but we export lots of services. Typically through multi national European companies. If we rely on wto rules, then most of those services will move somewhere more favourable and a large slice of our income will just evaporate.

The wto rules also don’t just add tariffs, they add barriers to trade compared to what we have now. That will significantly reduce the competitiveness of uk companies. We won’t just have to pay 2.5% more, we’ll struggle to win business full stop.

igm

Kimbers that’s in the assumption that people without voting rights aren’t constituents- children for example or EU citizens living in the area. Assume only 50% of people get to vote at any given time any it’s…

Around 25% of you constituents (we’re not really sure) voted to leave Mr Milliband…

And to answer your question Jamba, how should he vote? With his conscience in the best interests of his constituents. It was a silly question anyway given you knew the answer.

igm

Jamba – can I just check that you are accusing Corbyn, a politician , of a political manoeuvre? It blinking well hope so.

Meanwhile everything Enola has done is so she can blame others later – the Bexmigos, the judges, next MPs. She is looking like a Machiavellian but weak PM.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Brave or stupid by Corbyn to ask for access to single market as he knows May can not guaranteed i

It’s bllx. But just driven home from tennis and listening to IDS – one side – and Farron – the other – both talking BS

And we wonder why people protesti against politics.

The debate has turned even more desperate.

Legal tennis partner noted that the final say on this ultimately comes down to the ECJ – the ironies continue.

kimbers

Nice to see Gina Miller wiping the floor with Farige this morning

jambalaya
    Free Member

Legal tennis partner noted that the final say on this ultimately comes down to the ECJ – the ironies continue.

Yes talked about in the press last week. I think May would hold a vote on A50 before going to the ECJ. It’s not ironic at all it’s an wxample of how we do not have control of our own law making

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think May would hold a vote on A50 before going to the ECJ. It’s not ironic at all it’s an wxample of how we do not have control of our own law making

No the UK court made a ruling on UK law, the suggestions are there was nothing up to interpretation kind of the UK law. That UK judges ruled on.
    The last court to appeal to would be the ECJ but if the UK Judges are right then they are right and the judgement would stand.

kimbers

It’s not ironic at all it’s an wxample of how we do not have control of our own law making May is desperately trying to ignore UK law

which is a sad indictment of brexishambles and the hypocrasy of brexiters

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thank you Mike. Jambas that (Mikes) is the correct interpretation

jambalaya
    Free Member

IGM wasn’t Corbyn supposed to represent a new kind of politics, not the cynical type we are all used to ? He campaigned for decades against the EU and his half hearted speeches and 7/10 score for fhe EU helped Leave win. As for Milliband et all MPs rarely vote with their conscience. It would be pretty pompous of him to decide what’s “best for his constituents” when they voted so clearly for Leave.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Law is subject to interpretation that’s why we have courts and an appeal process.

cchris2lou

Nice to see Gina Miller wiping the floor with Farige this morning

just seen it . hilarious .

Viewing 40 posts - 14,601 through 14,640 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.