Viewing 40 posts - 77,081 through 77,120 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Could it be that people are born racist and some of them learn not to be?

AD

I’m enjoying watching the folk setting fire to EU flags in parliament square. Stay classy.

kerley
    Free Member

Possibly – fear of those not in your ‘tribe’

P-Jay
    Free Member

Can I make a suggestion as originator of this thread.

Can we shut this thread down at midnight? The in or out argument has been done here. We have more than covered the ground.

I personally would like a new thread discussing the issues going forward from here. I am happy to hold a spotlight to the decisions going forward.

Agreed, 77k+ posts going back 3+ years. Time to let it die.

There will be a LOT to talk about over the next 11 months (I already smell an extension) until we actually leave, but maybe a new thread might drop some of the baggage.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The last few paragraphs of this article illustrates the mindset of the leavers perfectly.

Basically many think we should still be able to trade freely, use our phones for free abroad, and receive eu standards of compensation when their flights are cancelled. Ie all the good stuff that eu membership brings…

Talk about having your cake and all that..

Poopscoop

As far as I’m concerned tomorrow is the really significant day.

Rejoin Day, 1 February.👍

Some years of pain**,a new government and a more humble UK is likely to see a return sooner than later I hope.

**I’m not wishing that one anyone, leave or remain, it’s simply highly likely to be the case.

Cougar

Can we shut this thread down at midnight? The in or out argument has been done here. We have more than covered the ground.

I personally would like a new thread discussing the issues going forward from here. I am happy to hold a spotlight to the decisions going forward.

So OK.

That seems like a popular decision, and TBH the title is getting increasingly inaccurate, so I don’t see why not. However, it does need replacing with something else because as I’ve said before if we just close it there will be 15 separate threads a day in its wake.

I’d perhaps suggest something generic like “official brexit thread 2020” or something similar rather than “where do we go from here” otherwise we’ll still end up with multiple threads anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why don’t you start it then Mr Mod Sir?

doomanic

The Shitshow Thread?

Cougar

Why don’t you start it then Mr Mod Sir?

a) It’s not 11pm yet.

b) I thought MattOAA wanted to.

c) I can’t be arsed.

dannyh
    Free Member

How about calling it the ‘Unravelling Thread’?

Anyway the Brexies have got to face it. We either align so closely with the EU that we might have well stayed in and all we have achieved is losing our voice OR the country goes totally down the shitter.

And if it is the second option then all the best and brightest will find a way to go somewhere else. Somewhere they value intellect.

kimbers

We’ve still got 11 months of transition & another decade of negotiations to go

The thread should be kept open to reflect the country:

Divided for a generation

molgrips
    Free Member

Most Brexiteers have no idea what the EU does. Eurosceptic politicians whipped them up against the EU and now they think something brilliant is just about to happen to them so they are all super happy. Even though they have absolutely no clue how any of this is going to affect their lives.

What absolute fools.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/31/why-brexit-is-chance-to-fix-uk-economy-long-term-problems

Guardian going full Brexie now – apparently Europe doesn’t have startups like Facebook and now we’re leaving we can magic up a second Silicon Valley.

kelvin

Less Singapore off the coast of Europe, and more Israel off the coast of Europe. Outside the system and masters of the dark digital arts.

Still, the Guardian should be looking for positives this week, we all should be. Plenty of time less positive thoughts at the end of the year.

dannyh
    Free Member

Most Brexiteers have no idea what the EU world does.

FTFY. Bless ’em, they just wanted the world to stop for them.

The world said ‘nah’.

kelvin

Sorry, from that Guardian piece:

For the past seven weeks, companies have known for sure that Brexit is happening and they know what form it will take.

Know what form it will take? Really?!? I suppose we know some forms it won’t take… not exactly the same thing if you’re planning for 2021/22 right now.

Edukator
    Free Member

From the Guardian

Growth rate since joining EEC in 1973 has been slower than in decades before entry

That is the most misleading headline I’ve ever read in the Guardian and from here on in they **** right off.

They’ve been all but ignoring Europe with an anti-European bias in the things they’ve been reporting and now they’re joining in with the anti-EU sentiment.

It doesn’t take much research to show that growth worldwide slowed in the 70s, the end of the post war boom (la fin des trente glorieuses), or to compare Britain’s growth rate with Europe before and after joining the EU. Places that have grown more since the 70s came from low bases or have growth that concerns a tiny part of the population. Growth is one thing, quality of life for the many another.

You are one of the enemy now Guardian.

dannyh
    Free Member

Know what form it will take?

The Guardian isn’t immune from crap journalism, even if it is on the side of good most of the time.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+ 1 I hope this thread is closed. I’m certainly going to disengage from any political discussion from now on. Brexit has certainly taught me a lot about people and how they think. Britain can have Boris and the right-wing mindset that created Brexit. I’m out.

mefty
    Free Member

Meanwhile a good proportion of your fellow countrymen hate you with a deep seated passion.

If you are lucky someone will give you a sense of perspective on the occasion of your majority.

Cool, is it someone’s birthday?

The dog’s, she was pretty non-plussed about it, but the wife and daughter like to celebrate it. Anyway off out now.

tjagain

Brexit is already proven to be a shitstorm with huge damage done

I will never accept it. I will tell those supporting exactly why they are wrong. I hate the racist bastards that did so much damage to this country

molgrips
    Free Member

They’ve been all but ignoring Europe with an anti-European bias in the things they’ve been reporting and now they’re joining in with the anti-EU sentiment.

I’m sorry – what? Guardian pro Brexit?

It’s not only the Brexiteers who are unable to conduct rational debate and desire to live in an echo chamber then, apparently.

stevextc
    Free Member

No, babies aren’t racist. I spent 1/2 my working life abroad mostly in countries my hair and skin were a novelty… I never met a toddler that wasn’t fascinated… racism is acquired…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/phys.org/news/2017-04-infants-racial-bias-members.amp

So how about a bit of eugenics but this time other/out-group some racists and do it to them?

onewheelgood

I notice mefty has stopped telling us that the grown ups know what they are doing and will be along in a moment to sort it out.
    Yet he still seems to be an enthusiastic Brexiter.
    Puzzling.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have only realised I will be witnessing history in about 4 hours time.

Most Brexiteers have no idea what the EU world does.

🤔

In before the thread is closed 😆

grahamh
    Free Member

Seems that real life is mimicking satire now, this is probably what he has been doing all day..
    https://newsthump.com/2020/01/31/boris-johnson-to-spend-day-masturbating-into-got-brexit-done-tea-towel/

[mod edit, link linkified for language]

pondo

I realised that there is one slight benefit in this evening’s gloom – the division so far has been between logical remainers and emotional leavers. After tonight, remainees have logic AND emotion on our side. 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

I notice mefty has stopped telling us that the grown ups know what they are doing and will be along in a moment to sort it out.
    Yet he still seems to be an enthusiastic Brexiter.
    Puzzling.

That was Teamhurtmore.

Edukator
    Free Member

Enjoy your moment, Chewkw.

chewkw
    Free Member

Enjoy your moment, Chewkw.

I wish I could but I am working until late/early morning 😞

matt_outandabout

b) I thought MattOAA wanted to.

I’m blooming not. Someone else can be blamed for the thread of the next decade.

I do like the idea though, like this, of one big thread to hoover all the Brexit politics and discussion up.

Peace, ahm ooot.

I’m off to research mudguards for gravel bikes….

fingerbang
    Free Member

‘babies aren’t racist’, playing tonight at the Dublin Castle, £5 entry, £4 concessions

MoreCashThanDash

My brother in law is in London for the big Brexit party 🙄

Cougar

I’m blooming not.

Fair enough. I’ll do it, if I’m a) home and b) still sober enough to type.

onewheelgood

That was Teamhurtmore

Sorry, so it was. Should have gone back and checked really, but they aren’t worth the effort.

matt_outandabout

I’ll do it, if I’m a) home and b) still sober enough to type.

😍

Caher

Should be called, “Over to you then – make Britain Better”.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s still not too late to install the killfile, if you’ve an aversion to nonsense and non-sequitur and the inconsistent idioms from a particular forumite.

Perhaps now we need to hold politicians’ feet over the fire if they dare not deliver what we were promised – all the benefits of being in the EU without being in it. Those celebrating Brexit Day are a bit like those bemused couples you’d see on Bullseye, who’d won a speedboat even though they lived in Derbyshire.

Viewing 40 posts - 77,081 through 77,120 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.