Viewing 40 posts - 74,921 through 74,960 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • tjagain

Polls are showing a clear majority for remain and have done for a while

sobriety
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s the hope that kills you 😉

tjagain

Tell me about it! I follow Edinburgh and Scotland rugby and England cricket.

dannyh
    Free Member

Polls are showing a clear majority for remain and have done for a while

Which is why a second ref is still unlikely for me. Taking back control? Only when it suits the vested interests, I’m afraid.

dudeofdoom

Woho just saw my first “Clean Break” on Facebook 🙁

I’m not sure how running away from everything is that clean thou but off it goes.

Cougar

I suppose a clean break is preferable to a messy one in much the same way as if it were your arm.

kelvin

More movement towards that a referendum sooner rather than later…

Poor Tom, leading rather than following. We might look back and thank him one day.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I want to keep my arm.

zippykona

I want to keep my arm

I can’t believe you don’t want one of those amazing bionic arms we will all get after brexit.

kelvin

kelvin

Watch for an all Ireland customs zone and GB being separated with the checks in the Irish Sea.

That would appear to be unlawful under one of the trade laws put together by Kate Hoey and some other headbangers from what I was reading earlier today.

I had no idea what you were on about then @Sandwich, I doubt I was alone. Is it this…?

dudeofdoom

I can’t believe you don’t want one of those amazing bionic arms we will all get after brexit.

But they’re not offering any arms now it’s just about respecting the will of the people to break their arms.

Klunk
    Free Member

lol boris has managed to stab himself in the back.

doomanic

Please explain.

kelvin

I have no idea what to make of any of this… if anything at all…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/13/barnier-warns-brexit-talks-have-been-difficult-amid-pessimism-over-deal

But this “customs partnership” looks more and more like something to be putting in place during transition, to avoid a backstop kicking in, rather than something that can act like a backstop, doesn’t it?

Sandwich

That’s the one Kelvin. The PM is going to need a bigger shovel to dig himself out of the hole.

dogbone

That’s the one Kelvin. The PM is going to need a bigger shovel to dig himself out of the hole.

I believe there is a bulldozer in Heathrow still waiting for him.

dudeofdoom

Funny that these rushed thru bills actually creating more hassle.

For me that’s going to be the whole issue with ‘Brexit get done’, the details are as ever are being overlooked and down the line are going to have unforeseen issues playing out.

They’ll be forever extracting themselves from issues of their own making.

mattyfez

Welshfarmer, do you reckon that would work, personally I wouldn’t object, but a lot of tories didn’t think he was impartial toward the end of his tenure.. Any caretaker needs a commons majority, so he’d have the same issues as corby going for caretaker, no? Maybe not as devicive as corbyn, but it’s not a clear run I wouldn’t have thought?

MSP

I think Bercow would probably carry enough moderate tories to make it work. He stands more chance than Corbyn. Although it is a shame it has become public knowledge now, it would probably have been better if his name had come to the front during negotiations. I expect the tory front bench to ramp up the propaganda against him now.

BoardinBob

I’m cringing at the pomp and ceremony around the Queen’s speech

It’s 2019 and we have a time critical negotiation ongoing that could make or break the UK, but lets all have a big pause while some cosplayers have a big game of dungeons and dragons and the queen gets to wear her sparkliest crown. Absolute nonsense.

binners

The whole thing is a complete farce, anyway. As soon as any of this goes before parliament, it’ll get voted down as Joris Bohnsn is so far short of a majority. Then we’re straight into VONC territory, parliament is dissolved and we’ll have a general election.

So today is essentially a party political broadcast for the Tory party, hosted by her maj, as she reads out the Dominic Cummings election manifesto for when we shortly go to the polls

TheBrick
    Free Member

Polls you say? Guy down the pub said people voted Brexit to get rid of the Polls.

tjagain

Binners – no necessarily. Queens speech is no longer considered a confidence motion since the FTPA so losing the vote is essentially meaningless. Its clear the opposition are not going to go for VONC now – not until the threat of no deal is gone.

Losing a vote on the queens speech changes nothing

binners

I think we can all agree that a VONC will have been called within a matter of weeks, thus rendering this whole charade completely pointless.

Well… not entirely pointless from Johnsons point of view, as it was essentially a manifesto launch for the coming election, read out for him by Liz, with all the pomp and ceremony that gets the Mail reading fraternity welling up with nationalist pride

tjagain

I expect a VONC as soon as the letter to the EU is sent.

mattyfez

From Tom Peck thismorning on the Queens speech, I lol’ed…

Traditionally, of course, these things, like Tory budgets, fall apart within hours of delivery.

This one is pioneering in its way, given that it arrives pre-collapsed.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Meanwhile, here’s Spain demonstrating what should happen to Cummings & co.

Catalan leaders jailed

PrinceJohn

So – where are at now?

Johnson to get a new deal, that’ll most likely be voted down, for not being Labour’s deal or Brexity enough.
    He will then in theory have to send a letter to the EU to request another extension. Presumably they’ll comply?
    Or will someone say enough is enough, piss off Britain?

slowoldman

I think a bit of pomp and ceremony is the least of the issues parliament currently faces.

binners

I was quite disappointed by the absence of a Spitfire flypast

BoardinBob

Subscriber
    I think a bit of pomp and ceremony is the least of the issues parliament currently faces.

You’re wrong. It actually underlines and reinforces what is fundamentally wrong with the way parliament operates. Watch this

kerley
    Free Member

So – where are at now?

Johnson to get a new deal, that’ll most likely be voted down, for not being Labour’s deal or Brexity enough.
    He will then in theory have to send a letter to the EU to request another extension. Presumably they’ll comply?
    Or will someone say enough is enough, piss off Britain?

Of course they will comply, extending things forever is the EU’s key skill.

The snag will be that after the letter has been sent to request an extension (satisfying law) a subsequent letter will be sent by Johnson saying he doesn’t want an extension.

binners

I’m not so sure, now. Prior to the last couple of days I’ve been convinced they’re determined to crash us out. But there seems to have been a great deal of rowing back from the Cummings threats last week as that pesky ‘reality’ business has intruded on proceedings.

Even Rees-Mogg, interviewed on Pienaars Politics yesterday, was backtracking on previous statements, particularly about the backstop and the Irish Border and sounding considerably more conciliatory.

I think it’s finally dawned on even the ERG headbangers that Ireland is part of a large trading block with a lot of clout, that puts it in a much stronger negotiating position that the UK, so they’re going to have to wind their necks in a bit

Who’d have thunk it?

Whatever happens, we’re no doubt be in for a VONC first thing in November and a general election

Cougar

Heard on the radio just now, Parliament has the ability to reject the Queen’s Speech. But if they do it’ll be the first time in over 100 years.

The whole thing would be absolutely fascinating if I lived in, say, Canada.

kelvin

Whatever happens, we’re no doubt be in for a VONC first thing in November and a general election

I was thinking that was very likely, ‘till you said the words “no doubt”, and now I’m half expecting something else to happen instead. The Binners prediction curse.

binners

Fair point 😀

In the same way, a stopped cock tells the right time twice a day, I think I may be right on this one.

I just can’t see any other outcome

Corbyn is absolutely itching to lose another election so he can retire from the job he never wanted in the first place

Shackleton

The snag will be that after the letter has been sent to request an extension (satisfying law) a subsequent letter will be sent by Johnson saying he doesn’t want an extension

I think if he does anything to frustrate the intent of the Benn act and the request for an extension he will be considered in contempt of the law. There was quite a lot of discussion about this by lawyers and that seemed to be the consensus. He can’t just pay lip service to an act of parliament.

perchypanther
    Free Member

a stopped cock tells the right time twice a day,

Six o’clock presumably.

Viewing 40 posts - 74,921 through 74,960 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.