Viewing 40 posts - 67,681 through 67,720 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Edukator
    Free Member

I can’t be the only one who’s finding this hilarious.

It’s hilarious until I spare a thought for the consequences.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Looks like May her kicked the can down the road yet again. The Withdrawal bill, mean to be published yesterday, then tomorrow, has been hoofed down the road until after the summer recess
    Looks like the Maybot is still clinging on like the most determined of chug-nuts and has no intention of resigning. I can’t be the only one who’s finding this hilarious. The Brexiteers are clearly apoplectic at their own impotence in the face of her intransigence. Watching the news last night with Leadson resigning and IDS going puce, there seemed more than a hint that she was actively enjoying this. Driving them insane in preventing them replacing her with Boris and knowing there’s absolutely nothing they can do about it until December
    Surely this would be the opportune moment for Corbyn to call for a vote of no confidence?

Cabinet want the ‘22′ to do her in, the ‘22′ want Cabinet to. Both sides want to avoid the optics of a pack of men picking on a woman.

Corbyn tried that previously in January.

DrJ

What is the point? I mean, what is the friggin’ point? The vote will be the same whenever she brings it back, so what is gained by delaying, except that she stays in her job a bit longer? All this talk about her “sense of duty”, but it’s clear she has no thought for anything but herself.

FuzzyWuzzy

Amazing all these people suddenly realising what labour party policy is.

The problem is whilst it’s clear in their manifesto the version of Brexit Labour want is something that the EU won’t ever agree to (and they either know it or are more deluded than I think). So is voting for Labour really voting for Brexit if they can’t actually deliver Brexit either?

As for voting participation, roll-on electronic voting I say, at least the Russian’s can directly vote for me then rather than just trying to influence it.

Kryton57

to call for a vote of no confidence

He’ll wait to after the Euro vote surely?  Then claim the government is a farce etc as evidenced by the voting public..

kerley
    Free Member

We, as a politically enlightened bunch, appear very much in the minority of voters right now.

That is not new and is mainly why I am against democracy as it is currently. I wouldn’t let someone who has no interest in cars, doesn’t understand the first thing about them and never driven a car before choose my car for me.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

That is not new and is mainly why I am against democracy as it is currently. I wouldn’t let someone who has no interest in cars, doesn’t understand the first thing about them and never driven a car before choose my car for me.

This. Some kind of benevolent technocracy with a constitution that protects minority rights and enshrines that the economy shoukd work for the benefit of the majority. Experts on different topics get picked from a pool by a random number generator and have to vote on policy decisions.

binners

He’ll wait to after the Euro vote surely? Then claim the government is a farce etc as evidenced by the voting public..

Difficult to claim the moral high ground when you’ve just been electorally wiped out yourself. If the polls are anywhere near right then he’s not going to be in a position to be demanding anything.

In fact, there must be plenty of Labour MPs (a massive majority) thinking that they’d like to do with their ‘leader’ what the Tory’s want to do to theirs ie: fire them into the sun.

It’d be interesting to see how a Labour leadership fight would pan out with a credible candidate, on the back of disastrous local then EU election results. Surely all but the most hopelessly deluded can now see Magic Grandad for what he is. An electoral liability who is never going to be PM. He’s surely now lost the youth vote he was so dependent on, given his stance on Brexit

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Labour Party forums on social media is quite a lively place right now, we’re treated to astroturfing at half hourly intervals about how Labour is the party of Europe. I’m delighted to report that members are replying with variations of “**** off”.

ferrals
    Free Member

JC should have called a VoC yesterday, TMs future will be decided either tomorrow or monday; as soon as there is a date for the end of her leadership, the conservates wom’t need to vote against her.

dazh

Oh give over. Democracy is very far from perfect but every alternative in history that has been tried where a significant minority (or even a majority) of the people are disenfranchised has shown that those very same people are exploited, impoverished and victimised. This view is nothing more than elitest, authoritarian snobbery of the highest order. The people are perfectly capable of deciding what is in their own best interests. If you don’t lilke the results then try harder to change their minds.

binners

The people are perfectly capable of deciding what is in their own best interests.

The evidence clearly shows otherwise…

dissonance

Went and voted at lunch.
    Apparently it had been quiet all day. Not helped by the fact it covers a uni area as well and most of them have left now.
    However not sure how useful it will be as a barometer of political conditions.

dissonance

Experts on different topics get picked from a pool by a random number generator and have to vote on policy decisions.

And how will you choose who goes into the pool?

mattyfez

Good analogy kerley.
    We live in a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.

The other part of the problem is a lot of UK MPs don’t seem to realise that either, or maybe they do and are just hedging thier bets to keep their seats and benefits. Not productive in the long run.

Interestingly farrage apparently said at a rally in the last day or so that the brexit party would demand to be part of the negociations if they win big at the euros..
    Again the brexit party is not in government and has no MPs, so has no right at all to be party to any withdrawal negotiations.
    That said, he won’t spin it like that and his extreme right fan base will call it undermining democracy based on the outcome of the euro elections.

DrJ

The people are perfectly capable of deciding what is in their own best interests.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/22/sadness-and-fear-in-scunthorpe-after-british-steel-liquidation

mattyfez

On a personal level possibly, not considering the wider impacts to thier local communities and economy.

Just look at the lies spouted by farage over fishing rights that were sucked up by fishing towns.

The UK government at the time sold the UK’s fishing rights to private companies who then licenced or re-soled them to foreign companies, bad cash grabbing move but legitimate.

They were legally sold and would have to be bought back at great cost.

The UK is not getting its fishing rights back, face it.

Rather than having to rely on my own fears, prejudices and ignorance, I would prefer a sufficently disterested expert (or experts) to do that for me!

kelvin

re-soled

Chapeau!

molgrips
    Free Member

What on earth gave you that idea?

avdave2

The people are fully entitled of deciding what is in their own best interests, their capability is rather questionable.

zippykona
    binners

We really have become a tinpot little banana republic, haven’t we?

mattyfez

Chapeau!

Unintended auto-correction pun, but I’ll take it 😉

koldun
    Free Member

@Zippykona there are issues for UK nationals outside the UK. It took me 3 attempts and a complaint to get my registration for the postal vote accepted and a colleague at work has had his registration rejected and appeal ignored until it was too late to be included (he did finally have a nice mail this week saying it was all setup for the next election though!).

dissonance

there are issues for UK nationals outside the UK

The last minute nature of the elections really will not have helped things. Whilst some did start spending early others would have waited until the last minute in the hope they would save the money.

Cougar

But deciding what is in the country’s best interests though, not so much.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Was it deliberate that you didn’t include the word “rationally”?

Edit: As some of my idle reading suggests that we often make ludicrous decisions based on everything but rational thinking.

binners

Good work by someone in Manchester 😃

johnx2
    Free Member

Surely this would be the opportune moment for Corbyn to call for a vote of no confidence?

Yes. So he won’t. He’s got time. 70’s pretty young by Politbureau standards.

chewkw
    Free Member

Help me clarify this point.

Does Lib Dem offer No Deal as a choice?

I know they offer to revoke A50.

🤔

epicyclo

dazh

I agree, but it essential that what they are told is the truth, and the whole truth.

The Brexit fiasco has really shown up the damage that has been done to democracy by media control being in the hands of a few large, and mainly foreign, operators.

It needs to be broken up and localised, and severe, as in eye popping, penalties imposed for untruths on both the media and politicians.

mattyfez

Help me clarify this point.

Does Lib Dem offer No Deal as a choice?

I know they offer to revoke A50.

The policy is very much remain in the EU.

The preferred vehicle for that is a referendum, a legal one this time.

I don’t think they’d rule out a complete unilateral revocation either considering the diplomatic mess we are in.

To answer the question directly, the answer is no. A no deal scenario is the worst possible outcome.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Non-sequitur in 3…2…1…

chewkw
    Free Member

To answer the question directly, the answer is no.

Interesting that because I am just double checking if I have listened correctly to the Farage and Cable debate on youtbue. During one of their exchange When pressed Cable actually said loudly No Deal would be offered. i.e. Revoked A50, A Deal and No Deal … (correction as I just found the youtbue clip again and Cable actually said it loudly but it is about 2nd confirmatory referendum).

If I got it wrong then that’s just me.

Will try to listen/watch the youtbue clip again if I have time.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well at least tonight’s new series of Mock The Week should find something to discuss.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Not sure if trolling.

But, no, no they are not. “The people” are not rational, or informed, or even in possession of the truth.

mattyfez

Non-sequitur in 3…2…1

May’s deal is dead, the only choice now, assuming we don’t have a general election in the interim, is no deal or revoke.

That’s not Liberal demacrat policy, that’s just Vincent responding to what might happen in possible scenarios given his party aren’t in government.

Non-sequitur indeed. PJM totally called you on that one 😉

Cougar

No deal is not a choice. It’s what happens if we run out of choices.

Anyone who tells you any different is either lying or a buffoon.

Viewing 40 posts - 67,681 through 67,720 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM