Viewing 40 posts - 67,641 through 67,680 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Also just voted twice (one for MrsMonkey, don’t worry) and I was the fifth person in. Beats my record of seventh for the locals.

thepurist

If we get a nutter in as leader of the tories I’d expect a few of the moderates to jump ship. No guarantee where they’d jump to though, ChUK might well be struggling after todays results, LD could be too far for them to jump so could we get another small centrr(ish) party springing up for them?

kerley
    Free Member

I’ll be voting at around 19:00 so will see how many names are ticked off. Suspecting strong support for Brexit party where I live as there is no option for anything more racist.

dissonance

What happens if his funds are deemed illegal by the EU people?

That will just show how the elites are trying to destroy him. Sadly people will fall for it.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Fast forward to boris being pm

You spelled Farage wrong

FuzzyWuzzy

Tactical voting for Labour

I don’t understand this, Labour’s position isn’t exactly clear. Assuming you’re anti-Brexit then wouldn’t a tactical vote go to a party that has clear support for another referendum?

If people only voted either Brexit party or a pro-referendum party at least we’d see the split, voting Labour is just muddying the waters. Sure a Labour MEP might make more sense if we never actually leave but that’s a bit of a gamble at this point.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t understand this, Labour’s position isn’t exactly clear.

Maybe John McDonnell can spell it out for you:

igm

philxx1975

Fast forward to boris being pm

You spelled Farage wrong

Farage said he prefers to moan from the sidelines than take on the job of trying to sort things out, so presumably it’s not him.
    Unless of course you suspect Farage of being a liar. 🧐

binners

I don’t understand this, Labour’s position isn’t exactly clear.

“We are not a pro-remain party”

Barry Gardiner – Shadow Secretary of State for International Trade

Thats pretty clear to me. And todays results will show that message will have been received loud and clear by many, many people like me who simply can no longer vote for the pro-Brexit labour party

The Greens and Lib Dems are going to happily hoover up all the millions of remain-leaning voters who will today stick two fingers up to Corbyn and his ‘constructive ambiguity’

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s me voted. First in the door with not even another person seen on their way there.

Me too, so I was given the honour of confirming that the ballot box was empty before they sealed it. Although it was still empty when I left as I had attended to hand in my postal vote which I hadn’t got round to posting in time.

igm

Saw this. All true? I’m sure Farage will sue if not – it was publicly posted and judging by his milkshake response he likes to go running to the courts.

Nigel Farage:

Threatened that 6 million Turkish people would invade and take all of our benefits/jobs if we don’t leave Europe, even though Turkey isn’t an EU member.

Blamed bad traffic on Polish people.

Stood in front of a mock-up of a Nazi era propaganda poster showing thousands of brown refugees walking somewhere (not here) in lieu of Jewish people whilst campaigning for Brexit.

Sang Hitler youth songs at secondary school.

Marched with the BNP as a teen.

Invited Enoch Powell to speak at one of his rallies many years ago and got declined.

Adds to the gun violence video.

Beware who you vote for (even if it is a personal friend in your case Mefty)

philxx1975
    Free Member

Unless of course you suspect Farage of being a liar.

Well I would never assume that would be true.

igm

😜

Ewan
    Free Member

Labour are not a remain party for anyone tempted to vote for them – it’s literally written on their website! https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/#first

Here is a screenshot I just took!

dazh

Amazing all these people suddenly realising what labour party policy is. You obviously weren’t paying attention at the 2017 election. Given how labour is seen as complicit in the failure to deliver brexit I’m amazed their poll ratings are where they are. The unprecendented rise of the brexit party and collapse of the tories shows what happens when you both ignore democratic votes and fail to honour primary election manifesto policies. Labour’s position is probably the only thing stopping Farage having 40% or more of the vote.

At the next general election the protesting remainers will have an interesting choice, swallow their pride and vote labour, or enable a boris/Farage government.

Chew
    Free Member

Has anyone received a voting card? I’m pretty sure we haven’t.

At the local elections we were one of the wards trialling bringing ID to the polling station so I think I’ll just take my (EU) passport along.

Just turn up Bob.

My local place just asks for a name and address. It surprises me how easy it would be to visit many polling stations, having picked a random person from the electoral role…….

kelvin

The unprecendented rise of the brexit party and collapse of the tories shows what happens when you both ignore democratic votes and fail to honour primary election manifesto policies.

If you promote a “sunlit uplands” or “no considerable downsides” policy, that doesn’t deliver (whether we are EU members or not) you will lose support. See also a “jobs first” or “all the benefits of the Single Market” policy.

If you ride the populist bandwagon of Brexit making people’s lives better, then you will be seen to have betrayed them if you fail to deliver a Brexit that makes people’s lives better. That counts just as much for delivering Brexit as blocking it, I’m afraid. And it applies to any form of Brexit as well.

tjagain

Fuzzy
    If voting labour tactically prevents brexit getting a seat then that’s a success
    Tactical voting is about voting for the party best placed to oust the party you like least

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just cast my vote for the Euro-Elections.

Glad I’m still a European.

😍

lunge

I’m sat in an office of 12 people right now, only 3 know there are elections today, only me and 1 other know what they’re for and who they might vote for. I find it very odd and more than a touch worrying. I suspect a few more will now vote, but I also think they’ll vote along traditional lines.

We, as a politically enlightened bunch, appear very much in the minority of voters right now.

Edukator
    Free Member

Another way of looking at voting is to say no non-local election has ever been won by one vote so you will never change the result. However you are making a statement and adding your voice to the party that best represents your views and with policies you’d like to see applied.

We have a two round system in this part of the world so I generally vote with my heart in the first round and then as TJ puts it “the party best placed to oust the party you like least” in the second round unless by some happy chance my favoured party is still in the running.

In this one I’m torn between conviction with Europe Ecologie les Verts and pragmatism with EM.

dissonance

Thats pretty clear to me

and yet there are plenty of quotes from other, more senior, labour party sources saying otherwise.
    Your fixation on him is rather funny.

As a more general comment best not to say how you have voted until after the polls close. Its potentially an offence.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I’m sat in an office of 12 people right now, only 3 know there are elections today, only me and 1 other know what they’re for and who they might vote for. I find it very odd

However outside your office the important people aged 50 to retirement are voting for good ol Nigel because he represents their views from years gone by.

Why not have a little vote in your office and see who you can identify as a brexiteer wins

bodgy
    Free Member

I voted for the strongest Remain party in my region: Lib Dem.

doomanic

I’m 50 this year and there’s no way in hell I’m voting for that frog-faced ****!

binners

and yet there are plenty of quotes from other, more senior, labour party sources saying otherwise.

The likes of Tom Watson and Kier Starmer can say whatever they like.It’ll make no difference to party policy. We all know that, despite clearly laughable protestations to the opposite, about restoring party democracy’, Corbyn is only listening to Seamus Milne, Len McClusky and the Brexiteer echo chamber he surrounds himself with, in the bunker. They all share his 1970’s knee-jerk anti-EU sentiment, and they’re the ones dictating policy.

You can try and convince yourself that that isn’t the case, but all that matters is who’s box you put your cross in, at the end of the day.

I’m sure todays results will show that millions of life-long labour voters will be abandoning the party to vote for a party with a more enlightened world-view ie: the Lib Dems, Greens or the other lot.

Ironically, the position Labour has taken isn’t brexitty enough for the ‘no deal’ anti-EU hardliners they constantly pander too in their ‘Northern Heartlands’, who are probably going to vote for Farage anyway

So its a lose/lose

Difficult to imagine how they could have got it more wrong really, isn’t it?

bodgy
    Free Member

@dissonance – “As a more general comment best not to say how you have voted until after the polls close. Its potentially an offence.”

No, it’s not. A person is at liberty to state how they voted at any time and through any medium, as long as they are outside of the polling station.

molgrips
    Free Member

The likes of Tom Watson and Kier Starmer can say whatever they like.It’ll make no difference to party policy.

Pretty sure Starmer and Watson are closer to the issues than you binners 🙂

dissonance

@bodgy – Guardian and other papers are erring on the side of their lawyers and banning any mention due to the law being significantly vague it could be used.

Del

Election Maps UK (@ElectionMapsUK) Tweeted:
    European Election Voting Intention IF Labour ‘Became Pro Remain and Promised an in/out 2nd Referendum’:

LAB: 36% (+12)
    BXP: 30% (-2)
    CON: 11% (=)
    LDM: 9% (-6)
    NAT: 4% (=)
    CHUK: 3% (-1)
    UKIP: 3% (+1)
    GRN: 2% (-4)

Via @ComRes, 17 May.
    Changes w/ Regular poll. https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1130900865995485184?s=17

binners

I think the electoral authorities will probably have bigger fish to fry than a bunch of whiney middle-class cockbags spouting crap about who they voted for on t’internet

ie: who’s picking up Nige’s dry cleaning bills

dissonance

We all know that

No we really dont. I know I dont have access to the sources available to make that judgement and as for you. Whilst I cant say for sure I know you keep making predictions and keep getting them wrong.
    Therefore I have to conclude that, in fact, you have no real knowledge but are effectively a mirror image of many brexiteers. Emotionally attached to a particular viewpoint and therefore desperately clinging to any evidence supporting it whilst ignoring any evidence to the contrary.

Difficult to imagine how they could have got it more wrong really, isn’t it?

They have made the mistake of treating people like adults rather than idiots.

Cougar

The unprecendented rise of the brexit party and collapse of the tories shows what happens when you both ignore democratic votes and fail to honour primary election manifesto policies.

The unprecendented rise of the brexit party and collapse of the tories shows what happens when you encourage easily-manipulated racists.

As a more general comment best not to say how you have voted until after the polls close. Its potentially an offence.

We haven’t changed anyone’s mind here in almost 1,700 pages. I doubt very much that anyone’s going to vote differently on the back of a pastry-based squabble between a crayon botherer and a quadropedalled Scotsman.

binners

They have made the mistake of treating people like adults rather than idiots.

….and hows that worked out for them?

I’d conclude the total opposite, personally. Telling two opposing groups of people what you think they want to hear, while telling the other group the polar opposite, in the hope that they both vote for you, is the very definition of treating people like idiots, surely?

Constructive ambiguity? I think the country will be delivering its verdict on that nonsense today. Again…

ratnips
    Free Member

Weird that the people who I know who would never vote for Jeremy Corbyn because he said we should have talks with the IRA are perfectly happy to vote for the Brexit party and Claire Fox https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48112981

kimbers

labour had their chance, they blew it

constructive ambiguity helped them at first but the time to come off the fence was at least 6-9 months ago, certainly by the time Mays efforts had obviously failed, which was swiftly followed by Dyson, Nissan, JLR etc started announcing job cuts/ plant moves

From then on as the ‘party of the workers’, theyve had no excuses

DrJ

I suppose that no one who votes for the Brexit party can complain about Corbyn being anti-Semitic or pro IRA again!

I can’t see that stopping them.

DrJ

Ironically, the position Labour has taken isn’t brexitty enough for the ‘no deal’ anti-EU hardliners they constantly pander too in their ‘Northern Heartlands’, who are probably going to vote for Farage anyway

That worked out well for for the stout Northern workforce of Scunthorpe, who voted overwhelmingly for Brexit despite being told it was bad for their future. Well, chin up lads – worse things happened during the war, right?

binners

Looks like May her kicked the can down the road yet again. The Withdrawal bill, mean to be published yesterday, then tomorrow, has been hoofed down the road until after the summer recess

Looks like the Maybot is still clinging on like the most determined of chug-nuts and has no intention of resigning. I can’t be the only one who’s finding this hilarious. The Brexiteers are clearly apoplectic at their own impotence in the face of her intransigence. Watching the news last night with Leadson resigning and IDS going puce, there seemed more than a hint that she was actively enjoying this. Driving them insane in preventing them replacing her with Boris and knowing there’s absolutely nothing they can do about it until December

Surely this would be the opportune moment for Corbyn to call for a vote of no confidence?

Del

At the next general election the protesting remainers Labour leadership will have an interesting choice, swallow their pride and vote labour come out as Pro remain and Pro PV, or enable a boris/Farage government.

FIFY

Viewing 40 posts - 67,641 through 67,680 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.