Viewing 40 posts - 67,201 through 67,240 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Yeah, I think we all have to use that one on mobile view. chewkw and some other Bruce fella are the two for me. 😀

🤣

slowoldman

I too received the Brexit flyer. I tweeted @brexitparty_uk to say I was impressed by the emphasis on “Trust Honesty and Integrity”. However I pointed out that if asked to put together a list of a thousand politicians who embody those attributes, Nigel Farage wouldn’t make the bottom of it.

zippykona

My flyer went back. Everyone inside had the c word written over them.

doomanic

The flyer we received was addressed to my son, a new voter. He won’t be voting for them.

dazh

because that runs the very real risk of the whole thing being called off.

Farage wants this. It’s his vehicle to power. The Brexiteers won’t be silenced, and in the wake of the tories and labour being destroyed by their own divisions, it leaves a space for Farage to follow the Trump route to power. As crazy as that sounds just think about it for a moment.

olddog

Trump hijacked a mainstream party. Farage isn’t going to be Tory leader and will fall back in GE when Brexit is resolved one way or another.

zippykona

In a GE will the **** party split the swivel eyed vote?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Anyone have a source for how many EU regulations and standards are based on UK regulations? I know load of the eirocodes are nearly just old BS but what about other fields?

igm

I think the outline options cheeks puts down are about right. Let’s consider the implications.

1. Revoke & remain. Economically win:win, short term democratic deficit, lots of grumbling from Brexies and protest voters that they never get listened to.

2. Deal / Softish Brexit. Economically EU win : UK loss getting worse for the UK over time as the UK become tile takers. Democratic deficit OK initially but becoming a real problem over time as the UK accepts rules they have no say over (we got the rules we wanted circa 90% of the time as EU members). Muttering from all sides becoming grumbling then protest over time.

3. No deal. Lose:lose economically. Ignores almost half of those who voted 3 years ago and rather more than that now, but work out your own democratic view of that. Muttering from remainers, becoming rioting by Brexies as they realise they were sold a pup. Senior Brexies ok as they had moved their interests off shore.

Sound about right?

Option 1 sounds the least bad, but any way you look at it as Farage says Brexit is s humiliation.

zippykona

As well as asking quitters what the first euro law they would repeal is I’m asking them what the first of Sharia law they would implement is.

Pointing out that they are more Islamic than European goes down a treat.

pondo

I know both sides question the BBC’s impartiality, but make your own minds up about the ballot paper picture halfway down the page;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48190925

nickc

Th ballot paper with political parties on it?

Are you suggesting that the pen laid across the Brexit Party is some sort of hint? D’you not think that might a bit paranoid? (unless you’re joking? )

nickc

Revoke & remain. Economically win:win, short term democratic deficit, lots of grumbling from Brexies and protest voters that they never get listened to.

probably collapse of both Labour and Tories as parties. Which seems on the face of it to be perhaps no bad thing, but what fills the vacuum? The Brexit Party? A different Hard right-wing ultra leave party? A Hard left-wing ultra leave party, a handful of centre remain parties that can’t form a government by themselves? Coalitions that go over and over the Brexit issue until we die in the heat expansion death of the sun

probably

fadda

I’d agree that both the “pen pointing” and the way the light falls highlight the Brexit party, but whether it’s deliberate or not is unclear…

molgrips
    Free Member

probably collapse of both Labour and Tories as parties. Which seems on the face of it to be perhaps no bad thing, but what fills the vacuum?

Moderate voters and MPs would still need a home.

olddog

Isn’t everyone getting a bit excited about Brexit Party. UKIP won the 2014 Euros and then did nothing in 2 GEs. Brexit party is doing better in overall voter share but not surprising giving Brexit cluster ****.

The main parties are falling back for similar Brexit reasons. Lid Dems are doing well as clear ani Brexit party and are forgiven for coalition. Greens picking up disillusioned remainer lefties.

The real impact of the Brexit party surge will be the way it shapes the main parties and how they respond to retain their voter base.

The Brexit ref itself was a response by Tories to 2014 Euro result and internal strife over it – so I can’t see them going any other way than full Brexit with a new leader.

Labour will continue to try position themselves so they can blame Tories for Brexit shambles and then move on as quickly as possible to other things including green issues to win back voters

Lib-Dems will fall back as everyone realises they are basically a bit shite in a GE context other than for a protest vote

ChUk have demonstrated how little space there is for another centre party

Cougar

You are basically advocating for status quo just like UK were before the referendum.

I’m actually not. I’ve said a number of times now, our message should be “reform” not “remain” and you can’t do that from without.

nickc

Moderate voters and MPs would still need a home.

That particular war has been fought and lost, I reckon

dazh

Isn’t everyone getting a bit excited about Brexit Party.

Maybe, but I think this time it’s fairly clear that Farage has a wider agenda beyond achieving brexit. He’ll use the euros as a platform to launch a major challenge at the next general election, by which time brexit still won’t be resolved. With the tories and labour in chaos he’ll win a lot of seats, and will then either be the balance of power in an informal coalition with the tories, or the main opposition to a weak labour govt. Either way that puts him one step away from gaining power in a future election.

kelvin

Yup, and “the wrong kind of Brexit” will be used as leverage even if we are on the way out still. “Getting on with it” will not stop the populist bandwagon. They have prepared for all outcomes to be used to further the “cause”. Just because the message is simplistic to the point of being entirely empty of any real policy detail, do not assume that there isn’t a highly complex plan in place to build popular support to dismantle the UK and rebuild it in a form unimaginable not that long ago.

epicyclo

igm

I think the outline options cheeks puts down are about right. Let’s consider the implications.

1…

You forgot this one

4. Scotland, Wales, and NI leave the Union. This leaves a proportionally increased majority in England for Brexit once the devolved countries votes no longer affect the issue.

The newly independent devolved countries crash in flames without the wise governance of the New Tory govt under Boris.

Oh, wait…

molgrips
    Free Member

Economically EU win : UK loss getting worse for the UK over time as the UK become tile takers.

And no-one will want to play Scrabble with us then.

AD

Most impressed with Burger Kings tweet 🙂

https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-mcdonalds-asked-not-to-sell-milkshakes-during-rally-11723088

Vaguely disappointed the police asked McDonalds not to sell milkshakes in first place though…

slowoldman

Well, bring your own folks.

Northwind

Quite annoyed I didn’t find out about that til after, it’s just down the road- I’ve got a whole bunch of out of date chocolate milk in the cupboard too

zippykona

And if you don’t have a milkshake ,IMPROVISE!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And if you don’t have a milkshake ,IMPROVISE!

*Gets out blender, adds milk and then shits in blender*

Sandwich

“reform” not “remain” and you can’t do that from without.

If we do remain we will not be in any position to insist reform. EU27 will argue that we came back as there was nothing better to leave well alone.

dazh

From the horse’s mouth. I’ll be honest I find this tweet pretty terrifying.

sobriety
    Free Member

What he fails to mention is that he’d quite like to replace it with a one-party system.

Edukator
    Free Member

For a resolutely positive view of Britain (which is rare around these parts) Arte produced this a couple of years ago. They’re showing it again. It was Spain last week and that was enough to finalise our holiday plans.
    Enjoy:

https://www.programme-tv.net/programme/culture-infos/10670345-un-jour-au-royaume-uni/

Edit: don’t worry if you don’t understand either French or German (the language choices) just the images will have you singing Land of Hope and Glory.

dannyh
    Free Member

If Toadface gets anywhere near any real power with that as his stated aim, then it might be time to start googling Mannlicher Carcano surplus and looking for the nearest building marked ‘Book Depositary’.

If there is anyone out there who owns an open top vintage limo, then we may achieve some ‘dovetailing’.

martinhutch

My Brexit Party leaflet was shoved through the door alongside a pamphlet for ‘The England Party’ – English Jobs for the English, apparently. Plus UKIP and ‘The Yorkshire Party’.

This makes me fear that the Yorkshire Party may be something of a Trojan Horse.

zippykona

Dear Mr Banks I definitely heard farage call you a **** today ,time to stop his pocket money.

Edukator
    Free Member

Walking past the posters outside the local school/voting bureau (all official) for the various parties in the Euro elections I noticed there’s a Frexit party to vote for, if Google + still existed for me to post photos I’d have posted a pic of the two people in the pic. We have “gammons” in France too it would appear. I’ll post how many votes they get when we get the results.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m amazed that 34% of respondents would pledge support for a party without having read the list of policies or any manifesto.

Post-secondary education of critical thinking skills training should be mandatory.

dannyh
    Free Member

Post-secondary nursery education of critical thinking skills training should be mandatory.

FTFY.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m amazed that 34% of respondents would pledge support for a party without having read the list of policies or any manifesto.

I am not amazed at all and it has probably always been like that. If you question the average voter on what policies they agree to and then tell them what party has those policies they are usually surprised to hear that they are Labour policies for example even though they vote tory “because”

zippykona

Smash the NHS ,crush British farmers,  slam the door on white Christian immigration. Vote Brexit Party.

kelvin

Well, 52% of those that voted supported leaving the EU, without having a read a list of policies, or any manifesto. Lesson learnt… promise vague change.

Viewing 40 posts - 67,201 through 67,240 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.