Viewing 40 posts - 63,241 through 63,280 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Cougar

You need to have some respect FFS! Call people wrong & disagree but dont call people liars.

Respect is earned not demanded.

I didn’t call anyone a liar, you’re making up stuff that I didn’t say. (Ie, lying, somewhat ironically.)

“Remoaner bully boys?” That’s hilarious. You should have a read of some of the comments on leaver Facebook pages sometime if you want to see some bully boys in action. It’s not remainers who are telling everyone who disagrees with them to “shut up and get on with it” or slinging around death threats.

zippykona

It’s not remainers who are telling everyone who disagrees with them to “shut up and get on with it” or slinging around death threats.

Or indeed actually killing people.

ransos
    Free Member

Alistair Campbell’s quote comes to mind about the last march. “Anything with that much support is on the right side of history”.

He thought the same about the Iraq war protest.

piemonster

I didn’t call anyone a liar, you’re making up stuff

😉

Cougar

And today, piemonster learns an important lesson about tenses. (-:

sockpuppet

Call people wrong & disagree but dont call people liars.

Don’t call them liars? Even after they have lied? The whole campaign & subsequent ‘negotiations’ have been typified by lies.

As for…

let the politicians clear up their own mess

It isn’t just their mess: we’re all being imperilled by this. And they show no sign of clearing it up.

ctk
    Free Member

Cougar said I lied about how I voted in the ref and he’s called Dazh either daft or disingenuous. Its not OK. If someone has lied of course call them a liar but thats not what I’m talking about here.

Of course I am aware of Brexit bully boys- try not to be the mirror of them peeps.

slowoldman

Even in Switzerland which does have a form of direct democracy, their parliament is still sovereign and can overrule referendum results if they don’t meet the criteria or otherwise think it’s a really bad idea.

As indeed is ours – even if we are in the EU. Amazing really isn’t it?

I totally agree referendums are not compatible with our democracy

Well they are providing they are taken for what they are – opinion polls.

zippykona

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If we do end up staying in the EU, I’m going to become and MEP.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For accusations of bullying look no further than our PM, she has constantly tried to take legitimate options off the table, she has withheld documents from parliament, she has been complicit in covering up that stuff didn’t exist.
    She spent the last few months literally trying to bully parliament by fixing the questions.

Then her little outburst last night.

For many of us it’s important that we acknowledge the options available to the UK at the moment
    As it stands these are/include
    May’s Deal + Extension
    No Deal with No Extension
    Revoke A50 & Remain
    Vote for some kind of change and agree longer extension with the EU to facilitate that (Either change of government or referendum)

Trying to pretend any of these options doesn’t exist is stupid and counter productive.

piemonster

And today, piemonster learns an important lesson about tenses. (-:

To be fair, I meant to type something about irony but couldn’t be arsed.

Cougar

Cougar said I lied about how I voted in the ref

I believe what I actually said was “I don’t think I believe you” but I’d have to go back and check and I’m not sure as I care sufficiently to bother.

he’s called Dazh either daft or disingenuous

Neither of which are synonyms for “liar.”

And in any case, I didn’t call him either of those things either. The first six words of the sentence you’ve lifted that from were very important, read them again.

It’d be highly irregular for me to call someone a liar. I might’ve done many months ago so out of frustration in the past with our serial fabricator who generated sufficient nonsense to earn him his own hashtag, I don’t remember now, but it’s certainly not a term I’d generally throw around lightly. Not least because I rarely have sufficient courage of my convictions to be comfortable with making such an accusation.

ctk
    Free Member

What is the point of posting “I dont think I believe you” over how I voted. What was your point in typing that post? Its out of order and you know it- just apologise.

What are the synonyms of disingenuous?

ferrals
    Free Member

I agree with Cougar – an’adult’ parliment ought to be able go agaisnt a referendum result if it is obviously impossible or harmful to achieve. Who was it that said ‘with great power comes great responsibility?’ 😉

All this ‘will of the people’ stuff, or blaming the MPs, is just ducking responsibility. Its also very lazy.

Cougar

What is the point of posting “I dont think I believe you”

Because I thought I didn’t believe you?

just apologise.

Convince me that I was wrong and I shall, unreservedly, with a spring in my step and joy in my heart.

What are the synonyms of disingenuous?

Insincere? Certainly in the context I intended it, anyway.

taxi25
    Free Member

I believe what I actually said was “I don’t think I believe you” 

If this is said about a persons statement, what is it other than saying “I don’t belive your telling the truth” I.E. lying !! I’ve been repeatedly told by some posters that they don’t belive I voted remain, just because I don’t conform do their ideal of a remain voter.

ctk
    Free Member

If you don’t know what words mean then don’t use them.

Synonyms of disingenuous:
    dishonest, deceitful, underhand, underhanded, duplicitous, double-dealing, two-faced, dissembling, insincere, false, lying, untruthful, mendacious

I think I believe you
    I don’t think I believe you

I think you are lying
    I don’t think you are lying

dantsw13

Watching the eU politicians on bbc news, there isn’t much love for TM!! To paraphrase, she is a rubbish negotiator, constantly changes her mind, and has no friends!

The deputy E.U. leader stated if the deal fails we need a new leader 😳

Cougar

If you don’t know what words mean then don’t use them.

I’m well aware of what words mean, I’m not the one who had to Google it. I even clarified what I meant just now just in case you’d taken it the wrong way.

If I said you were crowing about something would we expect you to be running around waving a raven about?

sobriety
    Free Member

I love how people are getting their knickers in a twist about it being sugeested that the may be setting out to deceive.

The correct answer when accused of lying/someone doesn’t believe you, if you know yourself to be truthful is “the great thing about the truth is that it doesn’t care what you think”

Getting wound up? Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

dazh

Quick point on this issue of whether the referendum was legitimate/binding etc. You’re all right when you point out the flaws. It was only advisory, the leave campaign was based on lies (some on remain too, but nowhere near as many), campaign fraud and dark money funding the leave campaign etc. But, all that is largely irrelevant as long as most of the people who voted believe it was legitimate. Confidence in the process and the end result is the primary consideration, and apart from a small and very vocal minority, no one is seriously disputing that on the whole the referendum was executed fairly and the result was clear.

The voting public may not understand the pros/cons and detailed whys and wherefores of the European Union, but they do understand the simple concept of holding a vote and respecting the result. As I’ve said many times, confidence in the democratic process is in my opinion much more important than our membership of the European Union.

PS. Still not seeing the magic formula that you all seem to know that the labour party should have followed to stop brexit. Clearly I should have gone for a longer ride 🙂

Cougar

If this is said about a persons statement, what is it other than saying “I don’t belive your telling the truth” I.E. lying !!

I appreciate we’re in an era where opinion and fact are somewhat muddied, but compare and contrast:

“I don’t believe you.”
    “I don’t think I believe you.”

There is a perhaps subtle but very important difference.

Cougar

some on remain too, but nowhere near as many

Name one.

all that is largely irrelevant

I agree with you here. Whataboutery regarding a referendum three years ago now is, well, whataboutery. It’s done and dusted for better or worse, we can’t change it and still harping on about it* does no-one on either side any favours.

(* – not an actual harp, in case anyone is confused.)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I’ve said many times, confidence in the democratic process is in my opinion much more important than our membership of the European Union.

and I assume you have not been watching any of what has been going on in Parliament where the Government was found in contempt

On 4 December 2018, the UK Government was found in contempt of Parliament for the first time in history[20] on a motion passed by MPs by 311 to 293 votes.[21] The vote was triggered by the government failing to lay before Parliament any legal advice on the proposed withdrawal agreement on the terms of the UK’s departure from the European Union, after a humble address for a return was unanimously agreed to by the House of Commons on 13 November. The government has now agreed to publish the full legal advice [20] for Brexit that was given to the Prime Minister by the Attorney General during negotiations with the European Union.

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY!

Can you actually call the process of pushing this deal democratic?

Trying to bully parliament with threats and contortions is not democratic, it’s not in the spirit of the rules and not what the UK should be doing.

Cougar

confidence in the democratic process is in my opinion much more important than our membership of the European Union.

In order to have confidence in something, one must first understand that something, n’est-ce pas?

I have little confidence in the democratic process currently either, but that has jeff all to do with the referendum and everything to do with May’s concerted efforts to disrupt it and seize power at every turn since then.

Cougar

Anyway, this is getting so silly now that Graham Chapman will be along in a minute so I’m going to go make food. Enjoy your evening folks.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Ah the good old replacing a word in a sentence with a synonym of that word to justify some faux outrage.

Tragic.

dazh

Can you actually call the process of pushing this deal democratic?

Of course not. What May is doing in parliament is an outrage and she should be slung out asap. That’s only going to happen though if tory MPs put country before party. My points about respecting democracy are solely about the referendum result and not about the parliamentary machinations we’ve had since. The public will simply not understand or agree if the result of the referendum is not executed as was promised. If that happens we’re in new and completely unknown and unpredictable territory with some extremely dangerous possibilities ahead*.

*tbh I think the genie’s already out of the bottle whatever happens now so think there’s little to be lost with a 2nd vote. Not going to happen though cos there’s no majority for one. I reckon there’s a higher chance of a new election as a result of a no confidence vote. The likes of Grieve et al won’t be able to justify supporting May if the result is a no deal exit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the referendum result and not about the parliamentary machinations we’ve had since. The public will simply not understand or agree if the result of the referendum is not executed as was promised. If that happens we’re in new and completely unknown and unpredictable territory with some extremely dangerous possibilities ahead*.

What is the basis for your assertion on that? I’m guessing it’s just a feeling or a guess.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-deal-opinion-poll-theresa-may-a8831241.html

Nearly two-thirds of people would vote to remain in the EU rather than for Theresa May’s deal if a referendum offering those options were called, a snap poll by YouGov has found.

Sixty-one per cent of the population would vote to remain while 39 per cent would opt for the existing deal,

However, if people were asked in a public vote whether they would prefer to remain in the EU or leave with no deal in place, Remain would still win, though by the smaller margin of 57-43 per cent.

dazh

What is the basis for your assertion on that?

The main problem with a 2nd vote is not that it won’t be accepted by the public, it probably will, and there’s a high chance remain will win (although not a foregone conclusion), the problem is that it will erode confidence in the democratic system. As I said earlier, we got into this mess because huge numbers of people feel marginalised, ignored, and forgotten about. A 2nd vote, or even worse a unilateral revocation will repeat and amplify those problems.

mattyfez

I think it will boil down to a vote on May’s 3rd attempt if it’s allowed and that will fail.

The outcome will be the same, it will eventually come down to no deal vs revoke article 50..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which is why it would be important to bring those people along, your concern for them should also register that they will be some of those **** the hardest by Brexit when it hits. They will be the ones out of work, losing homes and all that goes with it.

the problem is that it will erode confidence in the democratic system.

The damage has been done. This is about making a better future for people not blindly doing something monumentally stupid that seems to be getting more and more opposition every day.

molgrips
    Free Member

the problem is that it will erode confidence in the democratic system

Find me someone who actually has confidence in it now? Even before this fiasco?

A revocation will be ignoring all those who voted leave. That’s why it has to be a second ref.

molgrips
    Free Member

In order to have confidence in something, one must first understand that something

No, not at all. People have blind faith all the time – in fact, it’s probably the most common position.

dazh

The damage has been done. This is about making a better future for people not blindly doing something monumentally stupid that seems to be getting more and more opposition every day.

I agree, hence why I wouldn’t be opposed to a second vote. Being an arch-remainer (despite what some people think) I’d also be celebrating a revocation, but I’m not going to pretend it will solve the problem or address it. It’ll just kick it down the road for a bit. The repercussions of the last 3 years will be felt for decades irrespective of how it turns out. The ideal scenario is remain, and then the election of a labour govt. I don’t see much hope of that though.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Leaving because ‘will of the people’ isn’t going to fix the issues either. Yet you seem to keep banging that drum.

molgrips
    Free Member

an’adult’ parliment ought to be able go agaisnt a referendum result if it is obviously impossible or harmful to achieve.

Yes. It should. But May basically sidelined Parliament until the last few months.

Cougar

My points about respecting democracy are solely about the referendum result

I’m not going to go into this again because I’ve done it to death, but do you disagree with anything I’ve said?

The public will simply not understand or agree if the result of the referendum is not executed as was promised.

So what? By and large they’ve neither understood nor agreed with anything for years. It will hardly be the first time a government has welched on a manifesto pledge, the only people who are actually going to throw their toys out of the pram are the gammons. I’d wager the vast majority of ‘normal’ people, leave or remain, just want it done with so they can get on with their lives. Right now it’s only the angry ones – on both sides – who still give a toss, I doubt we’re representative of the electorate.

the problem is that it will erode confidence in the democratic system.

Hate to break it to you, but that ship sailed a good while ago.

A revocation will be ignoring all those who voted leave.

And what about all those who voted remain? We’ve been roundly ignored since the referendum and no-one seems to give two shits about that.

Plus as I’ve said repeatedly, they haven’t been ignored. We’ve spent three years with the government listening to no-one else but them. Whatever criticism they could level at the process, and they are legion, “we’ve been ignored” is surely not one of them.

Edukator
    Free Member

ctk

Likely out. Agree with gordimhor above. CAP boils my piss too.

Of course the worry is that even if we come out the Tories will sign us up for TTIP.
    Posted 3 years ago

Viewing 40 posts - 63,241 through 63,280 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM