Viewing 40 posts - 58,161 through 58,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dudeofdoom

Ok serious question to the farmers out there,what happens in 8 weeks when there’s no more cheques from the EU, Is everything already in place or are you none the wiser?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok serious question to the farmers out there,what happens in 8 weeks when there’s no more cheques from the EU, Is everything already in place or are you none the wiser?

Same as everybody else nobody knows. My dad has been writing to his local MP who is a brexit loon, plenty here know leave is a bad thing.

welshfarmer

Haha, seriously? No one has the faintest idea and no plan B. Gove has made vague assurances that the current system will continue till 2020 at least, just being paid by UK direct and not via the EU. There has been some pretty heavy consultation exercises by the devolved administrations (farming policy is a devolved issue) but not heard back from the Welsh Assembly what the results of that were. Luckily the basic payments are made in December so there wouldn’t be anything to expect for a good 8 months so hopefully enough time for a stop-gap policy to be implemented. A bigger issue will be a collapse of exports as a result of WTO tariffs (may be offset to an extent if the pound tanks further making exports cheaper!). The other big worry is that developing nations can’t afford UK ag produce prices but can sell us cheaper food in return for stuff they can’t yet produce like hi-tech, pharma, and financial services. Can anyone guess what the basis of any future trade deals are going to be and which UK industry is likely to lose out the most? But never mind, at least we can re-wild the British countryside and all those rich bankers can come and buy themselves a nice abandoned farm in the countryside !

dudeofdoom

but is guaranteed is that it will be an upheaval like we’ve never seen in our lifetimes

I’m not sure I’m thinking prices will rise,wages drop and increase in unemployment which seems pretty much a repeat of the 70’ and 80’s.

slowoldman

This was either a masterstroke or pot luck by the Tories.
    I don’t know which.

You’re joking surely? Why on Earth do you think the far right want us out? It’s certainly not for the benefit of the common man.

Can anyone guess what the basis of any future trade deals are going to be and which UK industry is likely to lose out the most? But never mind, at least we can re-wild the British countryside and all those rich bankers can come and buy themselves a nice abandoned farm in the countryside !

..and the rest of us can feast heartily on chlorinated chicken.

dissonance

You’re joking surely?

I think it was more about the damage to Labour.
    Which I think is a happy chance. Although something the hard right wont be upset about. That said they would be happy enough to destroy the tories as well and do as much damage across the board as possible. Whilst I wasnt convinced by the Shock doctrine orginally the idea of disaster capitalism does seem more and more supported over time.

binners

You know that Rees Mogg’s dad was the leading advocate of Disaster Capitalism, right?

For the last ten years the Tory’s have followed the Shock Doctine as a blueprint. All we need for the full set is the civil disorder and Marshall Law and troops on the streets

Give it 6 months

Never waste a good crisis! Especially one you manufactured

Del

Liz Kershaw. I always switched her off as I thought she was singularly unsuited to her role. Now I have a reason to actively dislike her. Every cloud….

binners

I think we can all assume that Liz Kershaw has ‘lost her audience’

She’s clearly an absolute ***ing moron .. and Brexit supporter.

There’s a pattern emerging

dissonance

ou know that Rees Mogg’s dad was the leading advocate of Disaster Capitalism, right?

Yup. Like I said the theory makes more and more sense as time goes on.

For the last ten years the Tory’s have followed the Shock Doctine as a blueprint.

Some tories not all. Some have tried to keep to good old fashioned tory traits. Sadly though the hard right seem to be winning.

Marshall Law and troops on the streets

Generally they try to stay short of that. Not out of any niceness but just because although massive profits can be realise so can massive losses including, for any not clever enough not to live in the country they are doing over, their lives.

mrmo
    Free Member

DEFRA models are 25% of farmers go bust, Savilles are predicting farm land prices crashing, my employer has issued instructions to watch customers and credit terms, and is tightening expenditure.

What you have to remember is that a large proportion of farm inputs are imported. soya, chems etc.

binners

Car bomb in Derry tonight.
    Remember them?

I really miss sectarian violence and paramilitary militias. It was brilliant! Glad to see it making a comeback

Nothing to do with Brexit, obviously. Just coincidence that something we’ve not seen for twenty years reappears when the government doesn’t appear to GAF about the good Friday agreement and is being dictated to by the DUP

Can’t wait til next year, post-Brexit when they start bombing Manchester again

cchris2lou

At least the minister for Northern Ireland is someone who knows the subject very well……….. Or is she?

cornholio98
    Free Member

Generally they try to stay short of that. Not out of any niceness but just because although massive profits can be realise so can massive losses including, for any not clever enough not to live in the country they are doing over, their lives.

Also why use the army if you have shares in g4s…

kerley
    Free Member

Can’t wait til next year, post-Brexit when they start bombing Manchester again

But the muslims are the bad guys now so not as much to worry about.

dannyh
    Free Member

Also why use the army if you have shares in g4s…

That’s what it is all about as far as the exploiters who actually know what they are doing are concerned.

The key is to tender for the work first, though. Then trouser the cash (very generously) paid up front before it becomes blindingly obvious you cannot actually do the job. Then, when presented with a choice of anarchy on the streets or using the army (and public money), it is back to you – the public – to pay for it. No penalties, of course, and the money will be offshore approximately five seconds after the initial payment.

Quite how we are going to afford £350m a week for the NHS with all this going on is beyond me.

dudeofdoom

Trouble with this thread is every time I read replies to my question on farming I want to go WTF, there’s only so many you can give.

The gov could have at least got that nailed down.

Interesting that poll that shows that with the deaths of the leavers and the ability to vote that remain would be the flavour. I think they are right to hammer home that it’s the young people who are going to live with it.

jimster01

The trouble is that there is no one concerted Remain campaigner.

fingerbang
    Free Member

The trouble is that there is no one concerted Remain campaigner.

Gina miller or Caroline Lucas won’t strike a gammon chord. It needs to be white middle class middle aged gent, Jeremy clarkson!

zippykona

Labour should have a new campaign.
    For the living,
    Not the dead.
    There is also a post doing the rounds on social media about a new Lisbon treaty where we basically become slaves to the Eu. Total lies that will be fact as soon as a second referendum is announced.
    Can everyone please get behind a group called Led By Donkeys. They are putting posters up with leave mp quotes . They are at least getting out there and doing something.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@dudeifdoom

Current mp for a lot of farmers now blaming the French for the possibility of imposing tariffs, they are so far into the lie they can’t stop.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Just coincidence that something we’ve not seen for twenty years reappears when the government doesn’t appear to GAF about the good Friday agreement and is being dictated to by the DUP

The likelihood of our being brexit/GFA related isn’t exactly tiny but A) it’s entirely possible that the nut job who did it CGAS about any of that and just likes blowing stuff up (or happens to be in possession of the required stuff and just happens to have a very very strong point of view on brexit) – there was plenty of that during IRA(and other) ceasefires back when. B) that “we’ve not seen for twenty years” is nonsense too, there have been ongoing pipe bomb incidents,actual bombings and attacks on RUC officers for years, they’re just not weekly like they were.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/1100-bombs-and-shootings-in-10-years-the-figures-that-prove-terrorism-hasnt-gone-away-34672253.html

I’d hold fire on pinning this on brexit until it’s absolutely clear that’s what it is.

I had a very very cursory Google to try find the schedule for the courthouse in question but no luck. I’d wager it’s more likely a result of something specific to the target than more overtly political.

epicyclo

Is the car bomb in NI to make a point about the GFA?

After all it appears the govt is in thrall to the DUP, and that won’t be happy news to the IRA.

mariner
    Free Member

Baaaad news for sheep
    https://www.farminguk.com/news/-No-deal-Brexit-could-lead-to-mass-slaughter-of-mid-transit-sheep_50444.html

Re Jacobs dad made predictions that were so wide of the mark that the Eye named him mystic Mogg.
    Great supporter of a more liberal drugs policy which may also account for a lot. The Eye also referred to him as Moggadon Man.

According to Andrew Rawnsley in the Gruniad today Mays plan B is revert to plan A plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

slowoldman

But the muslims are the bad guys now so not as much to worry about.

But after Brexit they won’t be able to get in. Oh wait….

sobriety
    Free Member

Theresa May inflexible? Now that’s a turn up for the books, who’d have thought that would happen what a surprise….

higgo
    Free Member

So today’s plan is to propose an agreement with the Irish Government that the Irish Government cannot legally make?

Wastes a few more days I suppose.

dudeofdoom

Wastes a few more days I suppose.

Whats infuriating is her ‘deal’ was dead more than a month ago but she still wastes time.

slowoldman

Be interesting to hear what the Irish government make of that.

DrJ

Whats infuriating is her ‘deal’ was dead more than a month ago but she still wastes time.

Yeah, but that’s the whole idea. Abuse parliamentary process. Run down the clock. May’s deal or no deal.

zippykona

Don’t worry she assured us last week that she is not running down the clock.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which is why no deal needs to go, its becoming clear to just about everyone the only one she is trying to bully with it is the rational people.

binners

THe ERG/DUP axis of zealotry absolutely will not compromise over the customs union or the backstop. So any ‘solution’ that is actually possible to impliment will split the Tory party.

And May is far more concerned about that than trashing the countries economy

The Andrew Rawnsley article in yesterdays Observer makes for pretty depressing reading

Its compass smashed, the ghost ship Brexit sails into ever darker waters – We are weeks from crashing out of the EU, but there’s no sign that anyone is prepared to compromise, least of all Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn

spekkie
    Free Member

What’s MORE infuriating than that is that there was never ever going to be a ‘deal’ that delivered everything that was promised, and they knew it. The promises were lies.

If they’d have sold Brexit on the truth and won the referendum I’d say good luck to it. Not my personal choice but I’d still have had respect for the process if it really was what the majority of the people of Britain wanted.

Instead here we are (by “we” I mean the general public, not the rich or the politicians) sitting in the middle of what is literally a slow motion train-wreck of a disaster.

The people behind this who have their own agendas knew and still know exactly what the outcome was always going be, and pushed for it on that basis. Once you accept that they did it for themselves, and NOT for Queen and country, then everything – every lie, every confusing interview or statement, every “secret” that slips out, makes sense.

slowoldman

I read a comment on Twitter this morning that in a Sky TV debate quite a lot of people seemed to think “No Deal” means things stay as they are (i.e. We remain).

spekkie
    Free Member

I can believe that. A lot of people were/are ignorant of the basic facts (or have been “misled” if you want to be charitable).

Houns

Poopscoop

Jesus H. That many people think no deal means we just remain in the EU?!

We are bloody doomed.

nickjb
    Free Member

There may be some variation in response due to semantics. Of course no deal actually means crashing out in chaos but imo it should mean staying in, ie if we cannot reach an a agreement on a deal then the default “no deal” option should be staying in.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Jesus H. That many people think no deal means we just remain in the EU?!

We are bloody doomed.

Hardly surprising is it? Instead of watching the news there is probably East Enders/coronation street/home and away/towie/some other glib soap about ‘real people’ on instead and let’s face it who wants to watch boring news when there is some adulterous tittle-tattle to watch?

Viewing 40 posts - 58,161 through 58,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.