Viewing 40 posts - 57,121 through 57,160 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Too many ex-lib dem voters won’t risk voting lib dem and getting tory again.

norbert-colon

Too many ex-lib dem voters won’t risk voting lib dem and getting tory again.

And there we have a summation of the shiteness of our political system. Folk won’t vote for the party whose views they have most in common with because that will lead to someone they don’t like getting in.

No wonder we end up with governments who don’t represent us – The whole thing is feckerty fecked

Northwind

norbert colon

And there we have a summation of the shiteness of our political system. Folk won’t vote for the party whose views they have most in common with because that will lead to someone they don’t like getting in.

In this case, it’s because they voted for the party whose views they have most in common with, and then that party put another party whose views they had little in common with into power. Arguably that’s less to do with our shit political system, since coalitions are relatively uncommon under fptp.

But if we were suddenly PR or whatever tomorrow, a lot of people would still worry about voting Lib Dem because of what the party might do with that vote. Not a problem I have personally, I won’t vote for them because the scottish party these days are paper-thin amoral yet still holier-than-though ****s, rather than anything to do with coalitions or tuition fees.

BoardinBob

May is surely toast by next Friday

Deal voted down early next week

3 days for an alternative

That can never happen

She must fall on her sword by next Friday.

It’s her deal. If it fails, she has to go.

Where we go from there is interesting.

Mays deal fails.

No deal will not get through Parliament.

Surely it’s a cancellation of the whole thing with the promise of another referendum further down the line

Cougar

Surely it’s a cancellation of the whole thing with the promise of another referendum further down the line

The most likely outcome I can see right now is an attempt to extend A50 and kick the can down the road (again) in the vain hope that we’ll somehow discover Schrodinger’s Unicorn over the next couple of years.

binners

She must be bloody desperate!

Channel 4 news are reporting that she phoned Len McCluskey today to try and drum up labour support 😳

The game really is up

BoardinBob

The most likely outcome I can see right now is an attempt to extend A50 and kick the can down the road (again) in the vain hope that we’ll somehow discover Schrodinger’s Unicorn over the next couple of years.

100%

Total can kicking

pondo

From t’Beeb –

Mrs May repeated her call to MPs to support her plan, saying: “The only way to avoid no deal is to have a deal and to agree a deal, and the deal that is on the table, the deal that is the deal that the EU has made clear, is the only deal.”

Wait – has no-one told her we can revoke A50…?

mattyfez

No deal will not get through Parliament

The thing is ‘no deal’ doesn’t go through parliament, it’s what happens if nothing else happens.

To stop no deal, one of the following has to happen.

May’s deal goes through
    May retracts or extends a50
    Vote of no confidence & GE/retraction or extension of A50
    Second referendum followed by retraction of a50

dannyh
    Free Member

Is there any chance we could stop pretending that the Lib Dems collapse was all about tuition fees? That was a standout issue but it’s hardly the only thing that cost them voters, the entire coalition was a disaster for them and rightly so imo. Too many ex-lib dem voters won’t risk voting lib dem and getting tory again.

I don’t pretend that, but it is the only line you will hear from a lot of ordinary Joes if you say “So, what do you think about the LibDems?”

Note how the fact that they ‘had’ to give ground on this because they were in coalition with the toxic Tories is often not registered because the Daily Heil doesn’t push that bit at every opportunity.

A lot of people just rely on snippets and sound bites. They are thus at the mercy of the comics like the Mail and the Torygraph.

kelvin

Channel 4 news are reporting that she phoned Len McCluskey today to try and drum up labour support

On Brexit, their stars are aligned… why shouldn’t she talk to him? Perhaps they can meet in person… somewhere far away… somewhere that get can get snowed in ’till March would be just fine.

BoardinBob

No deal will not get through Parliament

The thing is ‘no deal’ doesn’t go through parliament, it’s what happens if nothing else happens

True.

But Parliament won’t allow nothing to happen if mays deal fails. Leaving with no deal is Armageddon. They can, and will, stop it

edhornby

The noise that you hear on twitter (yeah I know) from the British legal types is that an extension would be about 6months or so, which would be jack all use unless if it were for a referendum or a GE .. given how much time the Tories have wasted and the position they are in it wouldn’t be much use , they’d mess about trying to request “negotiation” as a ref isn’t morally acceptance and GE even less so. Need to get on with burying the may deal but that means a new leader of the Tories (!)

2000 pages on this thread I reckon

mattyfez

Agreed.. It’s certainly going to get more messy before it gets less messy.

The government has literally no authority or majority any more.
    Just look at the verbal attacks on John Bercow for allowing the grieve amendment to be heard, from a government that’s already been held in contempt of parliament.
    May’s clock stopping is (was) a clear attempt to blackmail parliament into voting her deal in, another blatant abuse of process /contemptuous action.

The wheels on the bus keep falling off
    Falling off
    Falling off

The wheels on the bus keep falling off, all day long.

mattyfez

Interesting comment I read earlier..

It was masterly. Months ago, on the debate organised by The Independent, Grieve said that if things weren’t settled by Jan 21, a national state of emergency would have to be declared and a cross-party government formed. Leadsom and Rees-Mogg, also present, just nodded their agreement glumly. Well, by my count, next week’s vote plus three days is Jan 21 or near as dammedest. If May’s government hasn’t a winning plan by then, the country needs someone to wrestle the steering wheel off them.

Cougar

And because it’s been a while now,

Tick. Tock.

binners

Fiona’s first Question Time tonight should be a lively one.

Anyone else long for the days when the big issue of the day theyd be discussing would be hospital waiting lists or which Tory MP had been caught with a load of coke and hookers that week?

mattyfez

Indeed.. The government and both houses have been so consumed by this abomination that no actual day to day governance can take place, social care crisis, health care crisis, public transport crisis, housing crisis.. All that has been effectively parked for the last two years. A bit like the lorries will be at our ports.

Brexit dividend! Take back control!

dannyh
    Free Member

Indeed.. The government and both houses have been so consumed by this abomination that no actual day to day governance can take place, social care, health care, public transport crisis, housing crisis.. All that has been effectively parked for the last two years. A bit like the lorries will be at our ports.

Brexit dividend! Take back control!

Which is the single biggest indicator that the whole thing really is a **** awful idea.

Ask a Leaver why it is going like it is and they’ll just say ‘remoaners, enemies of the people, blah, blah, blah, froth, froth, twitch, shouty, shouty, twitch, froth, explode in gammony rage’.

binners

To the far right headbangers in the Tory party colonial fantasies of empire have always taken priority over boring old shit like providing schools and hospitals for the common peasantry. They’re all absolutely loving all this shit!

mattyfez

Which is kinda ironic when you think about it, a healthy happy productive society is far less likely to get angry over a bit of political or cooperate tax avoidance by the higher earners.. Deny them food, jobs, freedom, healthcare and education and you’ll have a bit of a kerfuffle.

https://i.imgur.com/0c8M1o6.jpg

mickmcd
    Free Member

Don’t mess with Britain’, says Defence Secretary, as he reveals new fighter jet capabilities

Yeah well we have 9 combat ready F35s and tankers that don’t work ….we are ready to be a potent independent nation…

Yes 9 of them we certainly know how to talk a big game tho

Is it wrong to be ashamed of your own country

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No it’s an important skill to learn

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

Blind faith in the country of your birth is a terrifying and dangerous thing.

Poopscoop

If I were abroad these days I would regularly feel the need to apologise.

I love what this country can be. I’m fairly patriotic too. Or was.

These days? I’m just embarrassed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the day the vote came through, as Trump was walking through his primaries an American friend tuned to me on the way to the pub that afternoon and said “I’m glad we are not the laughing stock for today at least”

hels
    Free Member

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but the next European Parliament elections are 23 May 2019, so that is a deadline of sorts.

kimbers

Yeah I imagine we will have some sort of clarity by then, but only because the EU will force it.

Our own government are just a rabbit in the headlights

kerley
    Free Member

Blind faith in the country of your birth is a terrifying and dangerous thing.

Yet Amber Rudd was on the radio 20 minutes ago repeating the “Britain is great and we will be able to deal with anything” She clearly doesn’t live in the same country as me.

willard

I made the decision last year to move to Sweden to both work and live. Quite apart from being intensely glad I did, the current situation has made me more determined than ever never to go ‘home’.

This sums things up for me. I apologise near enough constantly for what the UK is currently doing to itself and the farce of the government. They alone makes me ashamed of my former country and the vocal small-minded fantasists that seem to represent it these days.

slowoldman

Which is kinda ironic when you think about it, a healthy happy productive society is far less likely to get angry over a bit of political or cooperate tax avoidance by the higher earners..

Indeed. What’s more if they are better paid they will spen more – which ought to be a plus in a capitalist system!

mattyfez

yet Amber Rudd was on the radio 20 minutes ago repeating the “Britain is great and we will be able to

deal with anything” She clearly doesn’t live in the same country as me.

Meanwhile

Parliament has the power to block a no-deal Brexit, foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt has admitted.

The cabinet minister said it was “very unrealistic” to believe that MPs would not find a way to thwart a disorderly exit from the European Union if they wanted to, after Theresa May suffered a string of Commons defeats this week.

In a dramatic intervention, Mr Hunt also warned that voting down Ms May’s deal next week could lead to “Brexit paralysis” and potentially mean the UK remaining in the EU.

Can we have some Benny Hill music please?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I love the people who said “it’s about taking back control” well, this is who your giving it back to…. Useless bunch of self interested halfwits.

kimbers

I heard Hunts interview

Im not sure if he was trying to back the PM, undermine the PM, scare the Brexiters/remainers or just really piss them all off.

Either way was nice to hear him confirm that brexit can be stopped

kimbers

I missed QT How was Bruce?

All I know is that this yellow jacket lady nailed it….

Poopscoop

I love that woman in yellow a little bit after hearing that.

binners

Fiona Bruce was good on QT. The programme confirmed what we all already new. Melanie Phillips truly is an absolutely hideous woman, who barely bothers to disguise her racism. Highlight of the show was Nish Kumar (who was brilliant throughout) tearing her a new one when they were discussing knife crime in London. He stopped just short of openly calling her a reactionary racist bigot, but only just

jimster01

Wish that lady in yellow statement could be repeated in PMQ

johnners
    Free Member

Melanie Phillips truly is an absolutely hideous woman, who barely bothers to disguise her racism

She’s married to Joshua Rozenberg, who always comes across as measured and reasonable. I know that’s his job, and professional personas and all that, but they’ve always struck me as an odd pairing.

slowoldman

woman in yellow, Nish Kumar

Astonishing isn’t it, how much more impressive the non-politicians are on QT?

brakes
    Free Member

Whilst he can be funny and raises a lot of valid issues, I don’t think Nish and his fellow panel-show / stand-up comedians should be on QT, certainly not every week. It brings too much levity and a lot of them just resort to gags / routines.

Viewing 40 posts - 57,121 through 57,160 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.