Viewing 40 posts - 42,561 through 42,600 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas there was a certain irony that the gdp data today beat expectations by the samr HUGE amount as the downgrade in Kelvin’s IMF graph above!!

HUGE I tell you

been a good week all in all. Finally seeing some sense coming out of some Europeans, the united front cracking and even some vaguely sensible stuff on the financial services debate

kelvin

kelvin

The downgrade was on already poor future growth predictions, despite upgrades to all our trading partners. Not sure what your other nonsense is about. Keep it vague THM.

Junkyard
    Free Member

At least they had one to crack, unlike ours 😉

Every day another cabinet member has to be told off and you want to focus on their lack of unity. It far far superior to our unity, which is not even superficial.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You can repeat it twice if you like – but if you don’t understand business cycles and their timing it won’t matter one jot

any chance of a graph showing how big the upgrade was. You can even use the same scale

kelvin

Dick.

mattyfez

UK growth stronger than expected, again

Some companies cashing in, the rich getting richer is only one way to look at growth.

I’d look at the health care crisis, the homeless crisis, the social care crisis, the stalled state infrastructure project crisis, the affordable housing crisis, the lack of police on the street crisis.

We are literally becoming a 3rd world country.

But some stocks are up, so that’s growth?

kimbers

Fastest to slowest growing nation in G7 since the vote, even with the low £, average family >£600 worse off thanks to inflation…..

Yeah it’s an economic miracle, just because it didn’t live up to austerity Osbournes bonkers predictions, doesn’t make it any less batshit.

On the plus side the Tories have been exposed as utterly incompetent, barely a week can pass without Mogg, or Johnson etc undermining May and Davis’ performance at the Brexit select committees are a regular & hilarious expose of how clueless Brexiters are about, well ……. Brexit!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

literally

In the literal sense?

Junkyard
    Free Member

literal as your posts THM 😉

kelvin

Crazed Marxist Paul Johnson of the IFS at it again…

“All economists, with one or two very ideologically aligned exceptions, all economists take the view that from an economic point of view Brexit is going to be damaging.”

https://amp.uk.businessinsider.com/ifs-director-paul-johnson-brexit-is-going-to-be-damaging-2018-1

Still, let’s get the flags out if the damage can be limited… a price worth paying for… oh, I forget… something about Syrians.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You really are getting yourself in a terrible tizz

i think people get the point about the -ve impact, you really don’t need to keep dressing it up as something it isn’t. Any chance of the comparative graphs – size of IMF downgrade vs yesterday’s upgrade so we can see the huge-er?

Johnson is normally good with his figures so surpised by him saying “one or two” when that is “litteraly” wrong

But his actual comments are merely common sense

What Brexit is essentially about is making trade more difficult with our nearest, biggest and richest neighbour. [agreed]

“That in the end, that is the economics of Brexit. We are withdrawing from a Single Market, presumably, and withdrawing from a customs union, presumably, and that just has to make us worse off. [agreed]

“How much worse off we don’t know. It might be a relatively small amount. Hopefully a good deal less traumatic than the [2008] financial crisis.”[agreed]

Igm – agreed, the forum is basically screwed now.

igm

new forum doing my head.

kelvin

THM, ask Bloomberg for a new graph if you’re so keen to compare apples with oranges. The graph I posted wasn’t created by me… so repeatedly asking me to produce you a graph is just time wasting trolling.

So “Brexit dividend”… why does this keep popping up if “people get the point about the negative impact”? Additional borrowing projected by OBR suggests that is fantasy… but it’s still reported as news by most media outlets (it was impossible to avoid it on the BBC this week).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Your the one who was putting up a pointless chart and then getting narky when it’s pointed out. True remoaner style. Exaggerate and abuse when fronted

And BTW it’s Richard to you

kelvin

But his actual comments are merely common sense.

You’d think so… but only this week key ministers were saying they expect no negative impact as a result of not being inside SM & CU.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I don’t GAF what they say in posturing. – which is all that’s happening

i an merely relieved that Uk economy is doing better that expected, that manufacturing is recovery, jobs are being created etc all at a slowing part of our very extended economic cycle  I am also happy that the EUs later recovery is now well established and accelerating although concerned that this might be capped by strong €  I prefer win:win scenarios

but frankly more concerned about what happens when official stealing ends in 3Q this year, are we ready for a shock?

zokes
    Free Member

“Igm – agreed, the forum is basically screwed now.”

Think Of the new forum as post-Brexit Britian: sort of works, some sycophants think it’s brilliant, but it’s essentially ****

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Johnson as you would expect merely talks sense

“There’s a lot of uncertainty about how damaging,” he says.

“If you think a sovereign state should have control of its borders – and it’s not unreasonable to think a sovereign state ought to have control of its borders – then you need to be outside the EU,” he says

“But there is a cost to that, an economic cost,” he says. “What both sides are wrong about is suggesting you can have your cake and eat it, to coin a phrase.”

Agreed

aracer
    Free Member

Johnson as you would expect merely talks sense

It’s always confusing when you dip back into this thread at the end and have to read up for context. A different Johnson – that explains it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What i thought a well aracer

Still THM seems to have taken cougars comments to heart and has stopped trolling his arse of prodding at everyone but jamby and igm
    Its an edifying and beautiful sight to behold him discussing like a grown up

This could actually be a debate if we stopped feeding him.

kelvin

Exaggerate and abuse when fronted.

Cite my exaggerated claim.

My abuse is rare, and as far as I can remember, has only been aimed at one person when it has slipped out… not due to having a different opinion, but because of tone and attitude. Nether the less, I should never do it, it’s always the wrong thing to do. I apologise THM.

jambalaya
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #eeeeee;”>We are literally becoming a 3rd world country.</span>

It would seem to me you have never been to the third world ? We are the 5th richest country in the world and Brexit is going to be beneficial to us

TMH of course the EU is our richest neighbour, they are our only neighbour 😉  As for making trade more difficult, possibly marginally so yes. The issue is the trade off, we will be making trade with the rest of the world (where 90% of global growth will come from) much easier. Plus we will lose lots of unecessary and irrelevant regulation. Net net its going to be a massive win imho. It’s the EU which have realled F’d this up, decades of heading in the wrong direction and too stubourn to acknowledge it. Junker and the EU took a punt on a Remain vote and lost, they too fell into the trap that somehow the views of Farage et al where in a minority.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers Kelvin but nae probs. You might as well get “dick” comments when there is no report button 😉

kimbers

That this is no longer correct, thanks to Brexit

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12.8px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>We are the 5th richest country in the world</span>

https://www.ft.com/content/7508bf1e-8a46-11e6-8cb7-e7ada1d123b1

Just marks this as self-delusion

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12.8px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>and Brexit is going to be beneficial to us</span>

Junkyard
    Free Member

As for making trade more difficult, possibly marginally so yes.

So you think the ending of free trade might just cause some trade issues….possibly. It has to have a negative effect for economic reasons even I understand 😉

The issue is the trade off, we will be making trade with the rest of the world (where 90% of global growth will come from) much easier.

both of these are hopes not reality where as trade being affected is certain.

Plus we will lose lots of unecessary and irrelevant regulation.

except we are port it all across . Even if true it will take some time for this win to happen

Net net its going to be a massive win imho

I genuinely read that in the voice of TRump In fairness I think this says more about me than you.

igm

“We are the 5th richest country in the world and Brexit is going to be beneficial to us”

Thought it was 6th since the Brexy vote.

”Plus we will lose lots of unecessary and irrelevant regulation.”

Unfortunately not. The reality is the standards and regulations will end up still applying de facto, but we will no longer have a say in defining them. Such is life. But you’ll get used to it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

igm it moves about a bit due to fx rates, hence 5->6 post Leave vote and now I believe back to 5th

Relative GDP growth since 1998 (not chart is to March 2017 but story is the same)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol graph stops on 2016…

igm

So you’re story is we’ve done well as part of the EU then Jamba, me old son. That’s what you’re chart shows.

Smiley winking face.

kimbers

Wow being in the EU has been amazing for the UK according to jambas graph

aracer
    Free Member

igm it moves about a bit due to fx rates, hence 5->6 post Leave vote and now I believe back to 5th

Latest report still has us behind France. The good news is we’re due to move out of 6th place this year though. India is due to overtake us too.

zokes
    Free Member

So going by that graph, if anyone should be leaving the EU it’s Italy. Unless Greece can blame Europe for its crash.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Remain, that ship has sailed

Jeremy Corbyn on Marr show today

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zokes EU has held us back, Eurozone is disaster for most esp Italy. Greece abused the system using euro as it’s tool of choice.

aracer
    Free Member

I never knew you were such a Corbyn fan

aracer
    Free Member

Eurozone is disaster for most esp Italy.

Well it’s a good job we’re leaving that then…

zokes
    Free Member

“EU has held us back”

You don’t half chat some shit. Take another look at the graph YOU posted and try again.

aracer
    Free Member

You see that dip in 2008 zokes? That was the EU was that.

zokes
    Free Member

😂😂😂

Viewing 40 posts - 42,561 through 42,600 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.