Viewing 40 posts - 42,521 through 42,560 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m keen to find out:

1) What happens to imports to the EU from the UK in the next 5-10 years
    2) What happens to the EZ
    3) Is there possibly going to be a Domino effect? Will this be like the end of the Roman empire with big states breaking away leaving a rump?

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

even larger margin

Word games are good, aren’t they? The margin was tiny but by saying “even larger” we can insidiously suggest that it was large

tjagain

I did not say the economy would contract by 4% before we left. I said that it would tip us into recession as a result of leaving. given we have gone from top of g7 for growth with low inflation to bottom with rising inflation its bang on track for what I and many others predicted.

But no – the rabid tories and leavers have to misstate about what others have siad in order to bolster their untenable position.

At the moment many companies are holding on frantically hoping that the government scrambles some sort of deal. when they don’t as is likely then they will all leave the or scale back production enourmously once they cannot use the UK as a low wage low tax low worker protection entry point into the EU.

Remember – we haven’t even left yet. The recession is coming – have no doubt about it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You can go back and check. You misunderstood what the Project Fear forecasts were saying and were very adamant about it. It’s 000s of pages back.

We are slowing down as a natural part of the cycle. Brexit makes the slowdown more severe but there are balanced eg £ which after a lag has an impact in exports – already seen – but with the downside of inflation and pressure on real wages

That’s the beauty of economics – it confounds those who have monochrome filters. It’s much more dynamic and interconnected than that

igm

‘Tis almost like systems engineering in that sense THM

😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps. I will take your word for that 😉

One thing it isn’t is exact….

kelvin
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s a HUGE downgrade. A full 0.1% in 2 years time. Imagine all the variables behind that.

Where’s captain mainwaring when you need him? Don’t panic….

igm

About 0.7 against everyone else over two years doing it by eye.

I’ll let others decide if that’s HUGE or whether to panic.

It’s not unexpected really.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If I read correctly – late and on train – this shows how they have changed their forecasts since Oct

So a tiny adjustment / about as small as you would do. Which given all the potential risks iis

HUGE
    Negligible – you decide

Given just how HUGE the catastrophic downgrade is it’s surprising that the IMF makes only a osssing comment about the negotiations in the accompanying brief. How odd when it’s such a HUGE thing?

kelvin

You’re embarrassing yourself. Carry on…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How about I post a meaningless chart without reading the axes ? That WOULD be embarrassing

(Caveat left glasses at work so feel free to correct me if I read it incorrectly. You obviously think it’s important and I would hate to miss HUGE news )

kelvin

I’m sure you can spot a pattern. All major economies predicted to do better than previous predictions. Well, nearly all. I’d have thought that we’d also have improved expections personally, in such circumstances, not as good as if we weren’t messing around with Brexit (that hardly needs saying)… but I’d still expect our economy to be lifted more by our trading partners doing so well. What do the IMF think is up with us?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It is – our slowdown is mild. Second year after peak and still growing 1.5% even after HUGE diowngrade

You did read the axis??

kelvin

Why the downgrade, when our trading partners have upgrades? Why did the IMF not upgrade our expectations as well, given the additional trade you would expect in this situation? Where is our lift? What do the IMF think we have wrong, so as not to also be upgraded?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Uncertainty that’s why.

kelvin

You don’t think that is factored into the previous forecast? Why do the IMF not expect us to get a lift from our trading partners doing better than expected?

molgrips
    Free Member

Hey Jam, it’s not done and dusted yet.  Financial jobs are still at risk depending on the deal.

perditus
    Free Member

Damning piece in the FT today from Philip Stephens.

Theresa May’s new Brexit strategy: jump first, argue later

kelvin

“Voting to leave the European Union has cost Britain more than £200 million a week in lost growth, the governor of the Bank of England believes. Mark Carney indicated during a private breakfast meeting with business leaders in Davos…”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-costs-200m-every-week-in-lost-growth-says-carney-mxr5cwkhf

theotherjonv

“<span style=”background-color: #eeeeee; color: #444444;”>Why the downgrade, when our trading partners have upgrades? Why did the IMF not upgrade our expectations as well, given the additional trade you would expect in this situation? Where is our lift? What do the IMF think we have wrong, so as not to also be upgraded?”</span>

In analogy terms, we’ve just run a 100m race against all our major competitors.  They’ve all just taken 0.2-0.4s off their previous PB’s, which might well be because of a strong tailwind, but nonetheless they did.

We managed 0.1s slower than our PB

But we’re happy with our performance because it was pretty close to our previous, and only 0.1 slower?

(yes, i know we haven’t run the race yet and it’s all predictions, etc., but you get the point. If that was a real scenario I’d be wondering if we’d bothered doing any preparation for the race or just spent the time twatting about)

kelvin

But… even if we’re on a go slow, if the expectations are raised for our major trading partners, then you would expect us to get a lift from their expected extra success… and expectations for us would also be raised… even if less so. Why have the IMF lowered their expectations for our growth, when they have raised their expectations for everyone else? That’s not normal. What are they thinking?

TiRed

“Voting to leave the European Union has cost Britain more than £200 million a week in lost growth, the governor of the Bank of England believes. Mark Carney indicated during a private breakfast meeting with business leaders in Davos…”

He’s being conservative. The original piece of research benchmarking our economy to a basket of others and making forward projections on the basis of referendum (note not no decisions, as there aren’t any yet). puts our reduced GDP at £300M per week on where it would be expected to be. It’s a nice piece of research.

https://voxeu.org/article/300-million-week-output-cost-brexit-vote

kelvin

If it’s a “race”… it’s sort of like a three legged one… but with everyone tied together with elastic… our results will always be tied to the results of our biggest trading partners to some degree… revising predictions for all our trading partners upwards, yet not revising ours upwards… suggests something unusual in the IMF peep’s thinking… can anyone guess at what that is? Or offer up some handy links to those who understand their models and thinking more than us humble members of the public do?

kelvin

“He’s being conservative.”

Many articles that report this suggest that is quite deliberate.

PJM1974
    Free Member

With sincere apologies to all concerned, this thread is turning into the analogy of two bald men fighting over a comb.

None of the promises made by Leave look achievable, given that Liam Fox’s dept is dogged by staffing issues, David Davis is clearly out of his depth and seems to be giving indications that he wants to quit, Boris is telling lies again and Gove is suspiciously quiet. Meanwhile, the best that soft Brexiteers/Remainers hope for is the resumption of a status quo, there’s no political aspiration towards making a commitment to remedying our long standing infrastructure issues that precipitated the referendum result.

We all agree that our economy has stalled when competitive economies are experiencing strong growth, we also all agree that Hard Brexit will result in us trying to bargain trade deals from a position of vulnerability and Soft Brexit will mean no seat at the EU Parliament.

perditus
    Free Member

Laughing stock?

jambalaya
    Free Member

GDP per week, wtf is that ? Don’t (deliberately) confuse GDP with Government revenue or spending. GDP growth has slowed due to uncertainty, my call is for a very substantial bounce back when we see the nature of our future relationship.

Who really knows how much potential growth we have lost by being constained by the EU, how many billions in artifically high prices have consumers paid for goods ? We do know Open Europe thinks EU regulation cost us over £170bn in a 10 year period and they are a pro-EU organisation.

In other news Steve Mnuchin (US Treasury Secretary) said in Davos that a lower dollar is helping US economy boosting local producers. Sound familiar.

Most importantly Hammond got a good slapping from Number 10 tonight saying his remarks where incomsistent with May’s Florence speech.

mattyfez

Most importantly Hammond got a good slapping from Number 10 tonight saying his remarks where incomsistent with May’s Florence speech.

That’s like saying tadpoles are getting eaten by bigger tadpoles.

aracer
    Free Member

No going off message. They can’t admit there are no unicorns, that would be a sacking offence.

dudeofdoom

Florence Speech

El-bent
    Free Member

Who really knows how much potential growth we have lost by being constained by the EU, how many billions in artifically high prices have consumers paid for goods ?

I heard this nonsense recently. I love how these idiot brexiters are now championing the “ripped off” British consumer, without even thinking about British industry and agriculture potentially being destroyed by cheap imports.

kelvin

With sincere apologies to all concerned, this thread is turning into the analogy of two bald men fighting over a comb.

Then just imagine the discussions going on between government ministers, and those around them!

chestrockwell

<span style=”color: #444444; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>my call is for a very substantial bounce back when we see the nature of our future relationship.</span>

There are 150 reasons not to rely on your call.

molgrips
    Free Member

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>”</span><span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12.8px;”>Who really knows how much potential growth we have lost by being constained by the EU, how many billions in artifically high prices have consumers paid for goods ?”</span>

… not you…

Junkyard
    Free Member

We do know Open Europe thinks EU regulation cost us over £170bn in a 10 year period and they are a pro-EU organisation.

neither of these claims are true

Since 1998, regulation introduced in the UK has cost the economy £176bn. Of this, £124bn, or 71%, had its origin in the EU

For every £1 of cost, EU regulations introduced since 1998 have only delivered £1.02 of benefits

this one is even simpler than the £350 million claim to debunk . We profited from the regulations

As for them being Pro EU , they started of euroscpetic became a bit more pro – in a cameron style at distance two speed EU and remained neutral on the vote as they were divided on opinion internally so took no position.

One day we may see you make a statement that is not inaccurate, that day is not today.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The ICM survey, conducted as part of a Guardian reporting project, found 47% of people would favour having a final say on Brexit once the terms of the UK’s departure are known, while 34% oppose reopening the question.
    Excluding the roughly one-fifth who do not have a view gives a lead of 58% to 42% for a second referendum, showing rising interest in the idea as concern grows over the direction of recent negotiations.

The increased backing has come from both sides of the debate, with one-quarter of leave voters in favour of having another referendum on the final deal.

I am sure THM is interested in this
    The [simple*] majority of leave voters accept it will be negative for the economy as well FWIW

* not a dig at their intellect 😉

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/26/britons-favour-second-referendum-brexit-icm-poll

jambalaya
    Free Member

UK growth stronger than expected, again

You don’t have to rely on my predictions, you can ask 4 Economists and get 5 different answers

You Remainers are going to have to skip the “economic disaster” line of argument as it’s hasn’t happened and it’s not going to happen, even under a WTO scenario. Even Cameron has eaten humble pie and admitted to Mittal he was wrong with the doom and gloom

kelvin

So… worse that if we’d voted to remain… but could be even worse… what a win.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont disagree that camerons doom and gloom as overstated to the point of just being daft scaremongering
    I also agree there is enough there for either side to say see I told you [Growth was the slowest since 2012 last year and B of E saying we are not growing as fast as the others]
    The doom and gloom merchants are as detached as the everything is positive merchants who rejoice at weak good news.

Viewing 40 posts - 42,521 through 42,560 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.