Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Espresso Machines – mines just died
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Toby, if you want a manual lever machine, gaggia G105 or G106 are rebadged La Pavoni Europiccola or Professional machines (pro has bigger boiler and pressure gauge). These come up on eBay and are normally cheaper than the La Pavonis.

They are the rigid single speed of the coffee world 👍

grum
    Free Member

Yes, it’s not true espresso

It’s not espresso at all. It’s just strong. Aeropress makes much nicer coffee if you just want something simple.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve got an aeropress thanks. By the time all the fannying around is done then it’s just a shot of cold coffee.
    Maybe deep down I’m just jealous because the idea of spending that sort of money on a machine for 1 type of drink is way out of the realms of reality for me.

toby1

Cheers Rich, I might have a look as the flair is awesome, but it’s a pain having to pre-heat the chamber and the water then do it all over again for a second shot, the built in boiler might make it easier. It is a faff, but the coffee is better than a bunch of coffee shops out there now (with equally daft manual grinder and quality beans of course).

Maybe deep down I’m just jealous because the idea of spending that sort of money on a machine for 1 type of drink is way out of the realms of reality for me.

Do you mean coffee as 1 type of drink as obviously espresso is a great base for loads of different coffees, sorry, this might be a stupid question, I’ve only had the dog for conversation all day …

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s fine if you like stove top coffee, I personally find it bitter and mostly undrinkable.

If you put hot water in it then heat really slowly, so the expanding air gradually forces through, then it’s not bitter. But it takes ages.

I’ve got an aeropress thanks. By the time all the fannying around is done then it’s just a shot of cold coffee.

Not sure what you do but it only takes a minute for me. Put kettle on, load aeropress with coffee and paper, when coffee is nearly boiledpour in (more than the markings suggest), stir with the t bar thing, wait ten seconds and press. Then pour the still nearly boiling water in the mug and you’re away. Less time than brewing tea.

stevious

As much of a fan as I am of the aero press and stovetop (done well) neither of them makes anything like espresso.

grum
    Free Member

Inverted method with aeropress FTW

bjhedley

I’d probably go with the new Gaggia Classic (2019) now they’ve gone back to the solenoid valve and added a decent steam wand. That or the Sage Bambino/Barista Plus around your price range. The Gaggia will just keep turning out great coffee. Even my 2015 (takeover years) model made great espresso, not far off what my Rocket now produces which considering the price difference is amazing. It was just the milk steaming which was was shite and they’ve now fixed that it seems. Probably as good as they get before going to rotary pumped/dual boilers and forking out over a grand!

I’d avoid ones like the delonghi though, they seem to break quickly!

swdan
    Free Member

I think it’s worth trying a variety of different sources and types – doesn’t have to be expensive and you’d be amazed at the results, a real rainbow of flavours on offer!

Don’t get me wrong, I love nice coffee and all the flavours you can get, but I only have dual wall baskets at present and more importantly don’t have a grinder. It’s a potential future purchase but for the time being I’m just as happy with super market stuff.

aldo56
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sage Barista Express we got as a gift. It’s one of the best things in the house – if it broke I would buy one again immediately! Not sure I could live without it. Tend to get beans from Pact.

I also have an Aeropress and stove top but they just don’t compare.

bobodaclown

Sage Barista here, very good nice and simple. It seems a decent middle ground given the in built grinder. The flow meter did go after 18months but no issue being replaced within a couple of days engineer was round and replaced it.

chambord
    Free Member

I got a second hand Silvia V2 on eBay, cost £110 and can’t fault it really.

seabadger

Rancilio Silvia V1 here, 17 years and still going strong. Had a new boiler at about 12 years. V easy to take apart and clean / replace parts as needed.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Espresso Machines – mines just died’ is closed to new replies.