Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Engery bars and Gels
  • apyates
    Free Member

what is every one using on their long xc rides? recommendations please
    trying to think ahead to septembers Keilder 100

TexWade
    Free Member

I tend to go for the SIS isotonic jobs. Easy on the stomach. Energy bars at Torq or Clif bars. Don’t bother with Powebars in the winter – they have the consistency of concrete.

jonba
    Free Member

whatever is on offer for gels and bars I generally use normal cereal bars but at the minute have a stash of the zipvit chocoloate energy bars as I had a voucher – they’re probably the nicest ones I’ve had.

some gels ming so make sure you try some out. Zipvit gels are some of the worst I’ve had. I prefer the isotonic ones as I find them easier to eat.

I’ve got a list somewhere of what I ate on the last two, roughly though it was peanut butter sarnies, winegums, bananas, cereal bars, porkpies, mini cheddars, energy bars and gels. I had 1l of water and 750ml of sports drinks filled up as and when.

There has been plenty of discussion on here about it.

If you are a first timer then I suggest you try some long rides and eat what you would in the race. I know I can’t stomach energy bars and gels for 10+ hours.

Good luck, it can’t be as bad as last year…

apyates
    Free Member

jonba, thanks for adivice, i was there last year but only managed 73miles, the weather was the killer! I thought i carried too much food and water last year so was going to try and go more “alpine” this year.
    Used torq energy drink and a few bars and gels but to be honest the cold and wet destroyed me!

nealy
    Free Member

Jordans Frusli bars every hour or so, higher protein, cheaper and nicer than most other bars. Jelly Beans as and when. High5 Zero tab in the CamelBak.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Torq Gels and Drink, has got me through 8hr, 24hr and multi-day stuff.

Rhubarb and Custard gels and Pink Grapefruit drink if you’re after recommendations.

Torq drink is so drinkable it even was the only my wife and I could stomach after a particularly nasty sick bug in the new year and really kept us going.

Kryton57

Load up with a breakfast of porridge, then beans on toast.

I did the On One Hundred last year with a clif bar every hour after that, and a torq energy gel with caffiene (and boy don’t they work) on hours 5 & 6.

Torq have a sample pack of mixed gels for a good price on thier website.

jonba
    Free Member

I think I worked on 200kCal per hour which IIRC is the amount of energy you can take on board… I normally aim for one large energy bar or equivalent per hour of racing. This is topped up with drink and whatever I feel like at feed stations. For short races I can easily go light as running out is less likely/problematic.

In 2010 I switched to gels from 80 miles and necked a couple of caffeine ones as I was coming round the lake about to hit the last hill.

In 2011 I wasn’t actually that hungry as I’d had plenty of enforced resting through mechanicals.

I tend to start on proper food and gradually start to get more energy products as time goes on. I find them easier to eat but they upset my stomach after a while.

thomthumb
    Free Member

torq are my favourite. i like powerbar shots too, clif blocks too.

clif bars are nice but i only like some flavours.

composite
    Free Member

For the long rides 5+ hours I try to eat something every 20-30mins. This is normally a hand full of cashew nuts or half a flapjack. Also normally every 60-90mins a SIS Burner Gel.

will
    Free Member

Clif bloks are brilliant! Easy to eat, taste very nice and work well.

Also like torq banana bars, not that easy to eat on the move mind.

frogstomp

+1 for ZipVit ZV8 chocolate coated bars.. very tasty and not too stodgy or chewy. I tend to grab them half price on a short shelf life..

plodtv
    Free Member

buttered soreen loaf, and a gel in case things go proper pair

MrGreedy

+1 for try out as many as you can and see what you get on with. Personally I like the Zipvit bars (nice consistency, not too hard when cold, good value if you can pick them up on offer) and the High5 gels (including caffeine towards the end of an event – eyes on stalks time!). Clif Shot Bloks are good on a training ride as you can “dose” them but I find them a bit chewy and difficult to swallow when riding properly hard in an event. PSP22 is the only energy drink I like the taste of so that’s a non-negotiable for me but YMMV.

andrewni
    Free Member

+1 for road test various things before the race. I found powerbar bars gave me cramps but the gel versions dont, you don’t want to find out something doesn’t agree mid event

apyates
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice people. Will give the Cliff shot blok thinks a try.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Engery bars and Gels’ is closed to new replies.