Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Energy Gels – Easiest on the stomach?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Looking for recommmendations for a gel that’s good for people who don’t really tolerate them? Usually have normal food but am doing an event next month where a couple of gels is gonna have to do.

Have had bad experiences (stomach cramps) with power bar and sis drinks when I tried them years ago

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Torq gels. Rhubarb & Custard in particular are very tasty.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I managed Torq Gels and Drink for most of a 36 hour ride last weekend. That’s got to be pretty good going!

GaryLake
    Free Member

The Torq drink is much less sweet than things like SIS. It’s got electrolytes in so it has a slightly salty taste that makes it far more tolerable for longer I find…

+1 on Rhubarb and Custard Gels.

bigbloke
    Free Member

quite like the Clif espresso choc gels. Not a big lover of gels in general but the Clif have a different consistency i find easier to take.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with high5 stuff, similarly I got bad cramps on SIS. But then again I’ve had more chance to get used to high5. The SIS was a freebie at the 3/4 feed station on a 100 mile sportive.

I still prefer drink to gells though and reserve the gells for later in the ride to stave off a bonk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhh, and if you can stomach them, coffee beans*, makes the last climb of the day fly by**!

*technicaly excessive caffine is considdered dopeing by WADA/UCI/everyone

**followed by an epic ammount of pain later that day/next morning when yous legs come back to complain about the battering.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Thanks, think I will order a mixed box of torq and try them out over the next few weeks

rocketman
    Free Member

Torq in all forms is a fairly safe bet for fragile constitutions although personally I find it rather mild and have to consume more of it to get the same effect.

High 5 caffeine gels are great if you want a proper chemical hit and Isostar’s apple gels taste curiously like strawberry cheesecake.

traildog
    Free Member

I’m sure caffine was removed from the list of banned substances. You needed silly amounts to be banned anyway when it was on the list.

You could also try bikefood gels. I loved bikefood bars in the past, although they’ve changed them now and annoyingly aren’t as good now.

I’ve a freebie box of high5 gels which I’m working my way through and I’m actually quite enjoying them.

will
    Free Member

High 5 gels for me, work very well. Although the Torq gels are nice and come in soem great flavours! Don’t like Torq drinks though!

rewski
    Free Member

If you don’t have a sweet tooth then avoid the GU chocolate outrage, like raw chcocolate cake mix, I really recommend zipvit v0 electrolyte energy drink, quite tasty too, refreshing watermelon.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Just eat some nuts, especially almonds…easier on the stomach, easier to carry & cheaper. Gram for gram they have more calories and carbs and ‘good’ fat than just about everything else….and they’re 100% natural. Mix in some saltanas or the odd lump of choc and you’re there.

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon Torq gels are easiest to stomach. Often use High 5 as they can be had far cheaper, but the Torq ones are nicer!

aracer
    Free Member

I used to be fairly tolerant of anything, but more recently I’ve had a problem even with Torq products in long events (was badly sick 12 hours into a 24 hour event last year after consuming mostly Torq – though to be fair that may have been nothing at all to do with what I was eating/drinking). The best bet is to try some and see how you get on.

Rod

Another Torq vote from me. Tried many others which all upset my stomach or tasted rank, then discovered Torq and they’re good for everything (including 24 hour solo). If your stomach is on the edge, you might just need to drink more plain water to redress the balance.

tony24
    Free Member

Fats in nuts will slow down absprtion of the carbs though if your on a long slow plod your ok but of you want energy for permenent effort you need fast carbs. I gave the sis iso gel ago the other week and had zero effect on my stomach and also went down quite well .

teamslug
    Free Member

I emailed torq about exactly this and tried there gels with no probs at mayhem this year. Bike radar have a recipe for a granola bar that is quite nice too. I just throw in loads of pumpkin/sunflower seeds and dried fruit.

hillsplease

Torq seems least offensive to me, albeit after 18 hrs of a solo 24 it wasn’t staying in so had to go to normal (ish) food. I appreciate TUC biscuits may not be nutritionally appropriate but it was all i could get and keep down at that point. AS the OPs say – try a load and see what you get on with.

GaryLake
    Free Member

For WC2C I used half strength torq drink, gels and bars. 9Bars are flipping ace too btw if you want to get your protein intake up. And then I just ate normal food when I met the crew, more for comfort and to battle actual hunger. Beans and sausages, noodles, sandwiches, nuts grapes, sweets. Whatever I fancied. I didn’t bonk in 36 hours and only problem with stomach was near the end when I stupidly downed a chocolate milkshake because I really fancied it. Took hours to get over the heartburn!

I’m still fundraising btw guys 😉

http://justgiving.com/garyrideswc2c

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m sure caffine was removed from the list of banned substances. You needed silly amounts to be banned anyway when it was on the list.

Might be different between sports, but when I sailed (not at a level high enough to worry about such things) the limit was quite easy to reach with a couple of cups of strong coffee according to the training book I had.

ash258369
    Free Member

I use QimmiQ gels on occasions when I need them, all natural ingredients like rasberry, honey, beetroot
    Not cheap and probably not as good perfomance wise as others but they also dont take an uncomfortable half an hour for me to digest

RestlessNative
    Free Member

QimmiQ no good for me as I am vegan whereas the torq stuff (even the custard and yogurt flavours) are ok so I am gonna try those.

I am just doing a triathlon event (canoe not swim) so just wanting to tape a couple of gels to the bike top tube. I think a load of almonds and tuc biscuits taped to the bike might not fair well 🙂

Northwind

High5 seem good to me… Keep getting free ones from CRC so I tried them out, the Summer Fruits is lovely.

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve tried lots but mainly use the GU gels now and never have stomach problems. They do contain ginger which is supposed to help settle the stomach, not sure how much affect that has but they seem to work for me.

The flavours are quite strong and the gel is fairly thick which some people don’t seem to like but it’s the flavours that i think are one of their best points. Choc Mint which tastes like melted After Eights and Expresso which tastes like coffee ice cream are my favourites.

hilldodger
    Free Member
    goldenwonder
    Free Member

Torq for me as well.
    After trying SIS & High5 & not having the greatest stomach reaction to either…
    Rode the Etape with Torq, 8 gels, 2 750mm bottles of energy drink, 2 bars & no problems.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

powerbar ones are nice enough.

brassneck

Usually Torq allround, but SIS gels are relatively weak and contain a lot of fluid – they seem easier to stomach over a long period and don’t taste too strongly so are easier to get down and keep getting down.

Taff
    Free Member

Torq Rhubarb and Custard for me. Good up to 10hours of riding, I do tend to ahve a bit of something else though to break it up – bananas, flap jacks etc

aracer
    Free Member

SIS gels are relatively weak and contain a lot of fluid – they seem easier to stomach over a long period and don’t taste too strongly so are easier to get down and keep getting down.

You do drink water when you’re eating gels?

teamslug
    Free Member
    rocketman
    Free Member

Keep getting free ones from CRC

^^ this

and the hydration tablets and the energy drinks

Haven’t bought any for months 🙂

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I can’t stomach anything SIS or High5.

Torq energy I can drink all day at full strength no problem.

Zipvit gels are great, ~68g carbs in each and not a hint of stomach trouble.

rewski
    Free Member

There are some isotonic sis gels that are like watery jelly so no need.

davetrave
    Free Member

Just started using the ones from the folks who make For Goodeness Shakes, called Nectar, particularly like the Summer Fruits flavour but the Lemon Lime is a bit tart even for my sweet tooth. Very easy to get down without needing to carry loads of liquids to wash them down with.

brassneck

No need to with the SIS ones, which is why I think they are easier to stomach in larger quantities. Plus you don’t get the claggy mouth effect of the thicker mixes.

singletrackmind

If you carry 2 bottles on the bike why not try 2 gels in 750ml of water and High5 Zero + Caffeine tablet?
    You should drink some water with most gels . This way you avoid the big hit of a gel and get some hydration and easy access carbs directly ( maltose/fructose mix).
    Try a longish ride with 1 bottle+ 2x Torq ( Black Cherry for me ) gels. In the other bottle High5 Zero Red Berry. See how you get on .
    This has helped me get over the cold, hollow empty stomach feeling . Although I would be shoveling in flapjack/malt loaf/ jelly babies as well.

matt_bl
    Free Member

+1 for ZipVit gels.

The caffeinated blackcurrant are like rocket fuel!

Straightliner

Like many others I find Torq okay most of the time, but even that can cause isues. It’s all down to the maltodextrin in the ingredients which ruins your stomach. Mule Bars/gels are well worth trying as they’re made of natural stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Energy Gels – Easiest on the stomach?’ is closed to new replies.