Home Forums Chat Forum Electricionists – hot water tank rules

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by timba.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Electricionists – hot water tank rules
  • Flaperon

Just had an unvented cylinder with dual immersion heaters installed. The electrician at the site has provided two dedicated circuits for the immersions (RCBOs) and run the cables in conduit to the immersion elements via conduit. The isolation switches are on the wall about 40cm from the tank body.

The plumber is complaining about the installation, saying that the electrical parts are too close to the cylinder but can’t provide a reference in G93. Can’t get a sign-off until these are relocated. Anyone know the actual rules? Google doesn’t show anything helpful, and the electrician has never encountered this problem before.

Seems insane to me (given the tank has two elements physically inside it) and it seems to me it’s just someone stamping their authority over other trades on the site.

Bear
    Free Member

Not aware of any regulation regarding that. Have been qualified for years until recently and seen many poor installations, switches too close has never been one.
    unless he can show you the requirement then I’d ask him to get in with it and certify it.

alanl
    Free Member

Bear is right, no rules in both BS7671 (electrical) and G3 (pressurised water) about switches being too close. They have to be 150mm from gas, nothing for water, apart from any electrical fitting has to be suitable for its surroundings. I wouldnt expect a water tank or pipework to be leaking, they are usually chucked in a 800 wide cupboard where everything is crammed together, so I cannot see the problem, unless they really are right next to a pipe, or its so difficult for maintenance that it could be deemed inaccessible.
    I did one on Friday, I couldnt meet the BR requirement of the outlet pipe (D2) being 300mm long, I had to cut it short, it doesnt meet the Building regs requirements, but impossible to do it any other way. (Bear – Tank was 150L, PRV was around a third of the way down, maybe 600mm above the floor, To get enough run off, D2 had to end 200mm above the floor, making it 25cm long.)

markspark
    Free Member

Yep, new one on me. If the plumber is that confident they are correct they can point you to the relevant regulations

gobuchul
    Free Member

Just had a look at my unvented cylinder.

The spur is 30cm from the cylinder.

timba
    Free Member

Just common sense AFAICT, “away” from possible water; “The position of the discharge pipes (tundish), drain valves and motorised valves etc. shall be positioned away from any electrical components.” (Vaillant)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.