Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • El Guapo 2k full build
  • stevede
    Free Member

Just came across this on the on one site http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBTITEGV1
    Apologies if this has already been done but i had a search and couldn’t find anything. I’m not in the market for a new bike but if i was after a full build i find this to be incredible value – ccdb air, lyrik, reverb, sram x9 etc for 2k! Obviously corners have been cut on bars, stem, wheels but the bulk of the build is pretty decent.
    That is all 🙂

althepal

Jeezo, that seems cracking for the price..I know it (the frame) has one or two drawbacks but for that amount of cash it seems a bargain! (Dammit)
    Guessing we’ll be seeing On-one selling Reverbs and Lyriks at some point in the future then..?

Northwind

Ridiculous value… Wonder what Lyrik it is? (if it’s an R, then that’s a real shame)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The ex VAT export price is V V Good. Enough to budget for new internals in the Lyriks

althepal

Can Only imagine it being an r.. Still, £100 for an upgrade to internals?

brant
    Free Member

It’s a Lyrik R.
    Unaware of frame drawbacks.
    Lyrik also 1.125in steerer so can be Slacksetted easily.

brant
    Free Member

Frame :: EL GUAPO, PEARL WHITE / BLACK ANODIZED
    Shock :: Cane Creek CCDB Air 216/68
    Fork :: Rock Shox Lyrik R Solo Air Diffusion Black 1-1/8
    Headset :: On-One Smoothie Mixer Tapered Headset 1″ 1/8 – 1.5″ / Black / Mix Tapered
    Spacers :: 28.6x10m/mx1PCS + 28.6x5m/mx2PCS
    Crankset :: SRAM FC S1000 GXP 10S 175 BTBLK 39/26
    Brakeset :: Avid E3 180f, 160r
    Chain :: SRAM PC 1031 114LI W/ PWR.LCK 10S
    Rim :: XM440
    Hub :: HUB X-9 F 20*110 32 W/OUT AXLE, HUB X-9 V2 R 32 W/QR
    Spokes :: 14G STAINLESS SPOKE , BRASS NIPPLES
    Tyre :: ON ONE SCB 26 X 2.25, 60TPI, SINGLE COMPOUND, WIRE
    Tube :: 26″x2.125/2.35″ F/V
    Guide :: SRAM 2X XGUIDE ISCG05 36TO38 BLK
    FD: X9 HIGH CLAMP 2X10 Ø34.9MM DUAL PULL
    RD: X9 MEDIUM CAGE ALUMINUM 10SPD GRY
    Cable :: SP BK 4m/m WITH JAGWIRE SILVER LOGO (500M/ROLL)
    Shifter :: SL TRIGGER X9 FR 2SPD GRY BEARING, SL TRIGGER X9 RR 10SPD GRY BEARING, with CLAMP
    Cassette :: CS PG-1030 CASSETTE 10SP 11-36
    Stem :: SRAM HUSS 318 0 60 1-1/8 BTBLK
    Bar :: EL GUAPO ANCHO B HANDLEBAR,760mm,BLK,31.8mm CLAMP,AL7075 BUTTED 31.8*760,R:25 S.B BLK,W/EL GUAPO DECAL
    Saddle :: Planet X Superlight Chromoly
    Seatpost :: ROCK SHOX REVERB 125 30.9 0420 L 1500 BLK
    Grip :: On-One Bob On

withersea
    Free Member

V nice, may recommend to a friend, what is the weight of the full build please brant?

brant
    Free Member

I weighed at 31.5lb
    Bear in mind that’s a real weight though without pedals.
    I can pretend its less if you want.
    That was a white medium.
    Small black will be less 🙂

althepal

Didn’t some folk on here have issues fitting a chain guide Brant? I might be wrong. 31Ibs isn’t too bad weight-wise either.
    Looks good though, if I was looking at another 6″ bike this would be high up the list with the Mega.
    Edit: I see it comes with a guide fitted. Can’t believe how good the price is!

wilko1999
    Free Member

A genuine 31.5 lb with a CCDB and Reverb post is bl00dy good going. Still plenty of opportunities to lose weight on that spec too for anyone concerned about that sort of thing!

superfli
    Free Member

Bargain!!

Rio

Damn, if I’d known this was coming I’d have held off on buying my EG frame!

brant
    Free Member

Didn’t some folk on here have issues fitting a chain guide Brant?

Yes.
    This is all SRAM stuff, straight fitting, no issues.

passtherizla
    Free Member

lovely!

patriotpro
    Free Member

althepal – Member
    I know it (the frame) has one or two drawbacks

From experience, what are the drawbacks you speak of?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I had one of these when they first came out, I paid not much less than that for just the frame and it came with an RP23 not CCDB air 🙁

Only draw back I found was it blowing through the mid travel with the RP23, but when I changed it to DHX5 Coil it was great. So CCDB should have sorted that.

sunnrider
    Free Member

That’s a better deal than Canyon, which is saying a lot.
    I had a quick go on Ed Oxleys El Guapo (when he wasn’t looking) and it’s a great frame.

superfli
    Free Member

johnikgriff
    You can fix the RP23 blowing through its travel with a shim made out of a bit of plastic. http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/dw-5-spot-rp23-mod-503070.html

althepal

Just stuff noted above patriotpro.. Not the lightest frame in the world either but at that price who’s caring?
    Do a search on here for prev threads.
    Not a diss and kiss, from Brants comments the Sram stuff all seems to fit just fine!

Northwind

brant – Member

Bear in mind that’s a real weight though without pedals.
    I can pretend its less if you want.

Come on Brant, it’s not a proper bike weight if it’s not inexplicably lighter than the sum of the components.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I found a new Mission Control damper on Fleabay for about £40. Great upgrade, made a big difference to the performance of the fork.

I wouldn’t let that put me off; but I might upgrade the wheels after a spell.

wrecker
    Free Member

….or just buy this instead;
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=214
    £400 odd more gets a LOT more bike.

timc
    Free Member

seems v good VFM for a big travel bike!

patriotpro
    Free Member

So no experience then ‘althepal’…But a judgement based on what “some folk on here” have said…

😐

And based on people having “issues fitting a chain device”…

A few variables in there pal and you blame it on the frame…

😐

smiff
    Free Member

i have an EG and love the ride overall, sure it has issues but what doesn’t.. i listed some things i don’t like here so you can see if any of these will bother you:

http://forums.mtbr.com/titus/guapo-v4-wishlist-ideas-805110-post9647065.html

overall, lovely ride, that wicked looks value too and a few (only a few) others in this class. i did a frame only build starting at £540.

patriotpro
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    ….or just buy this instead;
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=214
    £400 odd more gets a LOT more bike.

What’s their customer service like ❓

Also as it’s loaded with ‘BOS’ gear – any contemplative buyer should also see – http://www.r53engineering.com/index.php/products/bos-suspension

smiff
    Free Member

haha so my brother took one ride on my EG and wants a new MTB.. can anyone suggest something that rides something like an EG, but costs about.. £500 less? (i.e. £1200-1600). doesn’t need as much travel, simple maintenance (coil fork?, not adjustable seatpost, no fancy parts) might be good too.. i dunno this might well be a silly question since the £2k EG is already a great deal yes. i don’t look at full builds normally plus it’s end of 2012 season so..

similar sizing and geo to a medium EG basically.

firs thing i checked was this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75658

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah the Nukeproof is the obvious choice, it’s listed as £1600 a few places to (dunno if CRC will price match).

brant
    Free Member

I guess I should price one up with X5, no reverb and a set of Sektors or Domains?

smiff
    Free Member

do it please brant, you might have another customer! and as his will get nicked, a repeat customer 🙄

edit: added please. 🙂
    edit2: and slightly lighter wheels please? he’s even skinnier than me. er wheel options would be cool not sure how difficult this is logistically.

brant
    Free Member

I’ll do some sums.

brant
    Free Member

In theory about £1399 is possible. Will work detail better.

smiff
    Free Member

oh wow that could really dominate the <£1500 market?! long travel 26, highly upgradeable.

sorry not sure what an XM440 rim is, i meant lighter than the Mega which comes out at 15kg in medium i think.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘El Guapo 2k full build’ is closed to new replies.