Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Eggbeaters
  • alexhill
    Free Member

So, need some pedals for touring (basically the smallest mountain bike ones i can find – no platform needed, ever) – It’s the shoes which are important…

Egg beaters cover it. Is it worth paying above the eggbeater 1s for the 2/3s?

Any other pedals worth my time?

benji
    Free Member

3’s seem to be most durable for longer, but at some point they will need a service kit. If you are riding long distance depending on your shoes might be with looking at the stainless shoe shields they make.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Shimano SPDs.

My experience of egg beaters is they will eventually let you down, and you will end up with a walk home, cycling with one leg, etc. Bad enough on a mountain bike, forget about touring.

The only good things I can say about egg-beaters is that they are lighter than SPDs, and they clear snow better.

alexhill
    Free Member

Hmm, more looking says you’re probably right.

I remember back in the day my time pedals were super reliable with plenty of float..

Time Atac XC6/8 still any good?

scotroutes

Use Candys rather than Eggbeaters for touring. You’ll appreciate the added platform. I use them for touring and MTB.

ajantom

On the other hand, I’ve been an Eggbeater (and various other Crank Bros pedals like Candys nd Mallets) convert for 10+ years now, and have never had one fail on me.
    I’ve worn out a set of Eggbeaters – but they were secondhand to me, and saw 4 or 5 winters abuse – and they didn’t break, I just wore down the metal on the wings so they rattled a lot.
    They do need a bit more maintenance than SPDs – new bearings and/or bushings every couple of years. But I think it’s worth it for more float, and the way they clear mud.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any other pedals worth my time?

POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Time? Hmmm, time?

Yes. Time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Like my eggbeaters, although they are Look versions, so probably more like the modern 3s.

bob_summers

Sorry for the hijack, but I’m using eggbeaters on my winter/commute/offroad bike and I want *less* float. I use Speedplay Zero on the road and have the float almost totally dialled out. What’s similar in feel to Zeros but has a cleat which fits on an MTB shoe?

bigblackshed

I’ve used eggbeaters and candys, from the 1 up to the 3. Never, ever had a problem. I did nearly 4000 miles commuting on a pair of candy 1. I just wore the cages through.

Shimano 520, two pairs in three months.

scotroutes
    bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Slight hijack but I have a pair of brand new Eggbeater 2 surplus to requirements.
    Mail me if you are interested.

bob_summers

Good call Scotroutes. Worth a punt to stick with crank bros. Cheers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Eggbeaters’ is closed to new replies.